Super Blackhawk or 629 for deer hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mstagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hey everyone, Im looking for a general recommendation for a .44 mag revolver for deer hunting in Illinois.

Ive essentially narrowed it down to the Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter and the S&W 629. If anyone has any other recommendations, feel free to mention them as well.

I want to lean towards the S&W 629, but alot of people seem be having problems with QC lately with S&W (at least what Ive been hearing). On the other hand, the 629 is way sexier than the ruger super blackhawk. Thoughts? Concerns? Gripes? Complaints?

aztec777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2016
    Reno
    I could never get used to the grip on the Blackhawk. I used to hunt with a S&W 629-1 with an 8 3/8" barrel and I carried it in a Mernickle SH7 chest rig. Super comfortable and easily accessible.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I would suggest you shoot a SBH before you commit, mine tends to bite my knuckle pretty good. I wear a shooting glove when if I'm going to shoot very many rounds, when hunting I don't worry about it.

You can of course change the grip to a Hogue which would help.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The Bisley grips are much more comfortable than the standard BH grips, for me, anyway. I do, however, have an older standard SBH with pachmayr grips that are almost as comfortable as the Bisley.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think the Bisley Hunter model is the way to go. Or aftermarket grips.

Or get a 629 and not have to deal with that.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll second the Bisley grips, but both are good revolvers. My SBH Bisley has digested just about everything I've loaded in 44 magnum.

mstagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am a TOTAL S&W, guy .....

However the S&W, will probably be twice the price .....

I have a RSB with pachmayr grips, and it is great .....

I can do either regardless of price. I learned my lesson on cheaping out on guns awhile ago. Id rather spend more now and have the more reliable firearm in the long run.

The RSB is SAO, so that may cut the price down while still keeping good quality? Sounds like any money saved by going the RSB is going to be lost by getting grips that wont tear up my hands/be comfortable.

Regardless, Ill definitely be getting both guns in my hands before purchasing to get an idea on comfort.

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Circumvent the problem altogether by getting a regular Blackhawk in .45 Colt.
    The revolver will be cheaper than any version of the SBH, the grip and trigger guard are more comfortable for shooting, you can switch for a Pachmayer Presentation if you like, and if you already load for .45 Colt, you'll be good to go for the much higher performance loads that the Blackhawk can handle that nearly match .44 Magnum for power.
    I love my own version of this excellent revolver.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have both the SBH (regular and Bisley) and a 629. Both are good handguns in their own right. Try to rent both, then you can decide. Most places that rent guns have a .44 of some flavor to rent. In my experience, the recoil impulses are different because of of the differences in design. You'll have to decide for yourself which you like best.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If you intend to use a scope then Super Blackhawk Hunter all the way. I've never found the grips to be a problem on my SBH-H but if you do find them to be an issue a new grip costs about $25.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I can do either regardless of price. I learned my lesson on cheaping out on guns awhile ago. Id rather spend more now and have the more reliable firearm in the long run.

The RSB is SAO, so that may cut the price down while still keeping good quality? Sounds like any money saved by going the RSB is going to be lost by getting grips that wont tear up my hands/be comfortable.

Regardless, Ill definitely be getting both guns in my hands before purchasing to get an idea on comfort.

I will let you shoot mine .....

Just let me know .....

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I would go with the Ruger. Easier to scope if you want to go that way and probably cheaper and no ugly internal lock.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've had several SBH and 629's.
    My preference is for the 629 ( in 6"). The 4" limits me to 50 yards, and the 8 3/8" is a tackdriver, but too long for hip carry.
    Superblackhawks..........two old models, two new models............all 7.5" w Dragoon grip frame.
    Shooting 265gr and under, never got bonked by the square trigger guard.
    In fact, I absolutely detest the Bisley frame.................for me it's Dragoon or nuthin!
    While I always shot the SBH's with wood standard grips.........and two of my 629's w wood target grips, on a 629 I really like the Hogue rubber.
    Due to aging eyes..............if I buy another .44 mag revolver, it will wear a Burris Fastfire.
    So 629 or a Super Redhawk. No more Superblackhawks.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Pachmayrs on a Ruger single action?
    That's a sin.
    On new models you can fit a Dragoon frame.
    Think $150 (oversized).
    Used to get brass on some old model SBH.
    On 629's..............I like the all silver -3 and older.
    They do not have the "endurance package".
    As such, proly best to shoot 240's and lighter.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If you reload, the SBH has a bit longer cylinder for a little bit longer bullet. I recall a few reloading manuals that have specific loads for the SBH and SRH. For deer, that's probably not an issue but just something to consider.

Top Bottom