• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have Kimber Pro TLE II. It is one of the more basic models, blue finish, I did add laser grips to it. I have to say it does run beautifully, I've never had any problems with it, except for when I dropped it and broke the mainspring housing and also damaged the trigger group parts, but that was my own fault (some of the blame goes to the ice on my driveway at the time!).

One lesson I learned from that experience is to look for a pistol that has a steel mainsping housing. Kimber uses plastic mainspring housings in some of their models (not all). But I didn't know it had a plastic mainspring housing until I broke it. It was a little annoying to me that a gun with that price tag would have a plastic mainspring housing. Other than that, the gun functions beautifully. Might not be that important to you. But if you ever drop the gun like I did, not that any of us plan on doing something like that, it just might save you a repair bill.

I took it to Allen M to have it repaired, and I upgraded the damaged parts with Wilson Combat parts - I guess you could call it a "Wilber" now, half Kimber, half Wilson Combat. In addition to replacing the mainspring housing and trigger group with Wilson Combat parts (all steel), Allen worked a little on the surfaces between the slide and the frame, and the action is as smooth as silk now. To this day, it is of my favorite pieces, and still one of my EDC pieces. I posted a thread about the dropping it and the subsequent repairs (almost 4 years ago now!). The before and after pics are on the last page of the thread (Page 10). https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...cussion/282924-dropped-damaged-my-kimber.html

Last edited:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    1911's are outdated :):

Kimber definitely overpriced. 1 nice Springer will be better, 2 Rugers will be ok too

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have read about rust issues with Kimber, even when stored properly and taken care of. Haven't had a Kimber in years, and when I did own one, I only had it a few months before it was sold.
    So no personal experience with rust on my Kimber at the time, it did not run worth a sh*t. It was an Ultra CDP two tone, pretty pistol.

Sjachsvitra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Crothersville
    Very helpful guys thanks. I am looking into a Springfield I know the xdms are nice and they feel great in my hand. Since I owb carry I think the xds would be a bit smaller than I'd like. But I can't hardly find any xdm9s for sale. Which is why I think the ruger is a good option. The ruger sr9 feels good too. not sure if I will love the trigger pull on the rugar as much as the xdm but putting some down a range might change those opinions.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was refering to the 1911.....:dunno:

From your OP that was the tac we all took.

I would opt for a CZ over the XD

And "NO" striker fired pieces.

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Very helpful guys thanks. I am looking into a Springfield I know the xdms are nice and they feel great in my hand. Since I owb carry I think the xds would be a bit smaller than I'd like. But I can't hardly find any xdm9s for sale. Which is why I think the ruger is a good option. The ruger sr9 feels good too. not sure if I will love the trigger pull on the rugar as much as the xdm but putting some down a range might change those opinions.

I thought we were talking about 1911's as well. There are kinds of poly striker fired pistols out there.

Sjachsvitra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Crothersville
    Sorry I can see where the confusion on my part started I'm just referring to pistols in general. But now I have to ask which may cause a riot lol. Why not striker fired parts? From my understanding is 1911s can be unreliable at times...

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Sorry I can see where the confusion on my part started I'm just referring to pistols in general. But now I have to ask which may cause a riot lol. Why not striker fired parts? From my understanding is 1911s can be unreliable at times...

1911's are a platform where you get what you pay for, a $500 1911 will NEVER be as reliable as a similarly priced Polymer Striker Fired Handgun. They are not particularly well suited to "mass production" outside of the looser fit 1911A1's colts modern well fitted 1911's need allot more attention and machine time. That being said my 1911's run as well as any other handgun I have ever seen if you run them properly lubricated. Also Kimber sucks and why make the OP about Kimber then want to transition into Striker fired guns it makes no sense.

Sjachsvitra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Crothersville
    I was just referring to pistols in general I love 1911s and striker fired just pistols in general really. I think Kimbers is beautiful. And was curious as to weather they were worth the money of putting into. I'm still looking for my first edc and therefore am interested in both a 1911 and a striker platform I'm just curious is all. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I was just referring to pistols in general I love 1911s and striker fired just pistols in general really. I think Kimbers is beautiful. And was curious as to weather they were worth the money of putting into. I'm still looking for my first edc and therefore am interested in both a 1911 and a striker platform I'm just curious is all. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Pro-Tip: Dont ever buy a Kimber 1911, a full size Kimber generally runs around $1000 or so for that price range you can get a nice Colt or Springfield 1911 that will actually run well. Now what you options are depends on price range you want, general size (IE Officer, Commander or Government 1911's). There are many many options out there for a carry 1911. I personally run a Dan Wesson VBOB in 45 Automatic as my EDC in a Milt Sparks Versa-Max 2 holster.

Vym79c7h.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

No offense taken here.
    Just took the time to elaborate on your OP.

I am not a striker fired fan as the triggers suck.
    Having grown up with Hammer fired offerings the SF's just look incomplete to me. No knock on the many who own/love them of course. JMHO.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pro-Tip: Dont ever buy a Kimber 1911, a full size Kimber generally runs around $1000 or so for that price range you can get a nice Colt or Springfield 1911 that will actually run well. Now what you options are depends on price range you want, general size (IE Officer, Commander or Government 1911's). There are many many options out there for a carry 1911. I personally run a Dan Wesson VBOB in 45 Automatic as my EDC in a Milt Sparks Versa-Max 2 holster.

Vym79c7h.jpg

Also note the "Speedy Rewards" card adds to the reliability of the package overall....:):

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette

That took a turn...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've owned two Kimbers and while they run well, the finish did not hold up on either of them. I sold one a while back and bead blasted the frame on the other last year. If you are looking at a full stainless Kimber or a blued steel one, the finish will probably hold up, but if it's one of the really nice looking ones with an alloy frame, you can count on that really nice finish chipping and wearing pretty early in its life unless you take extra good care of it. I will not buy another Kimber since discovering just how good a Dan Wesson is. Sure, they'll cost a bit more, but you get your money's worth with a DW more than you do with a Kimber. 5 years from now, your DW will still look like new instead of looking like you drug it to the range on the end of a rope. I have a DW CCO that also has an aluminum frame and after a couple of years of carry, it looks like new still.

Top Bottom