• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OVERTHEHILLGUY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NEAR GREENWOOD, INDI
    I have read a few web sites that OEM Glock night sights are inferior to sights such as the Trijcon Hd sight.
    Some say they are dimmer and hard to see in total darkness.
    Some say the dimmer sight make you work harder on seeing the target.
    I have Glock OEM night sights on my Glock 43 for about 1.5 years , no problem. seems bright enough for its inteded use.
    Now I would like to install the same sights on my Glock 34. The pistol will be mainly a range gun with home defense as a second use as I have a tac light on the pistol.
    Now my question, should I spend upwards of $150.00-$200.00+ for a high end ,name brand , night site or send it of to Glock inc. where they will install Glock nights sight for less then $58.00 installed.
    BTW, I still love the Glock43.

:oldwise:Thanks, jt

Last edited:

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Meprolight makes nice adjustable night sights for the G34s. I personally like those for my "target" pistols and the Trijicon HDs for carry. I like having the same sights on all my EDC pistols for consistency in sight alignment.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I prefer the ameriglo hackathorn sights for my glocks. They can be had for under $80. In fact I have multiple pairs of HD's and I still prefer the ameriglos.

Biggest difference between ameriglo and HD is the back sights are all black and do not glow. Which I prefer.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have both. Both are solid sights and seem durable. Both seem to glow at night about the same brightness with the Glock sights being a tad larger on lamp size.

Main difference is that the Trijicons have the front sight paint that stands out really nice in low light. It will also glow for about 10 min if hit with a flashlight. In total darkness it cant be seen unless hit with a light sorce. Trijicons also have a ledge on the rear sight so the slide can easily be ran off a holster or table edge or something. They are also slanted and serrated in rear for anti glare.

Overall happy with both. Trijicon and Glock are like peanut butter and jelly. The Trijicons are a little faster to acquire a target due to the bright front sight paint.

They are easy to install yourself. Don't let a gun shop shmuck touch your gun. Took me 10 min. I put an old leather glove in a bench vise and wrapped a steel punch in electrical tape. File the rear sight until it goes in half way. Close the vise on it until flush with side of slide. Then give it a few taps near the base of rear sight to center it up.

If you carry a lot and shoot a little just want something that glows so you can find your gun in the dark go with Glock. If you are a shooter and have a little extra cash I think you will appreciate the attributes the Trijicons offer.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    just my .02, but YMMV.

I have night sights and when they die I probably wont replace them. At least in the context of a HD pistol. Why? What's rule #4? "Know your target and what is beyond it." If its dark enough to need the sights, how can I be sure of my target when all I see are the 3 glowing dots on a dark silhouette? I found in Coach's night shoots that once my handheld light turned on to positively ID the target, I could no longer see the Tritium. In context, I have a family, and I'm not about to shoot into the darkness of my home just because I think that shadow could be an intruder.

As I said, YMMV, but that is my experience. Before the shoot, I hadnt considered what a light would do to the sight picture of those sights. I assumed I would still see the 3 dots but was wrong.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have had sets of Glock OEM sights, Trijicon, Meprolight, Novak, and Aro-Tek. Each have their pros and cons.
    For a cheaper set of sights, they are not bad, but put them next to Trijicon, especially the HD models, and the differences come pretty obvious. I have a set of Trijicon suppressor height sights on my Glock 40, and Trijicon HD's on my Glock 42. Great sights, but expensive.
    Tijicon and Meprolight used to be OEM on Glocks, but then that stopped and Glock had their own sights designed. I have had a few sets, but have since swapped them out for Meprolights.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    just my .02, but YMMV.

I have night sights and when they die I probably wont replace them. At least in the context of a HD pistol. Why? What's rule #4? "Know your target and what is beyond it." If its dark enough to need the sights, how can I be sure of my target when all I see are the 3 glowing dots on a dark silhouette? I found in Coach's night shoots that once my handheld light turned on to positively ID the target, I could no longer see the Tritium. In context, I have a family, and I'm not about to shoot into the darkness of my home just because I think that shadow could be an intruder.

As I said, YMMV, but that is my experience. Before the shoot, I hadnt considered what a light would do to the sight picture of those sights. I assumed I would still see the 3 dots but was wrong.

I second this opinion in its entirety. I will add that I think the fiber optic sights are the way to go after using them in ACT's night Shoot class. Prior to that class I spent the money to put night sights on most of my guns. Lots of money down the drain

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I second this opinion in its entirety. I will add that I think the fiber optic sights are the way to go after using them in ACT's night Shoot class. Prior to that class I spent the money to put night sights on most of my guns. Lots of money down the drain

I agree that a good weapon light is far more important than any night sights.

Night sights for me allow me to find my gun in the dark more than anything. Still want every advantage I can have. I don't regret having night sights on my guns. Sure it won't be my last set.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have both, fact the Trijicon HD's are faster, if you want to bring the gun up and get rounds down range faster then the rear U shaped sight is for you.

I am kinda upset that I had Glock night sights installed on a new G26 this year and I am going to swap them out, I want the best/fastest/easiest to see sights and want all my weapons to have the same sights.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Heahhhhh, I'll argue with you sharp folks a bit.

I prefer the Ameriglo big orange dot with black rear. The big orange dot does excellent day work, I'm actually faster with it than fiber optics. I do see uses for still having the tritium on the front at night though. It adds another option.

Certainly the sights go to black when a weapon light or handheld is deployed. You may well not be using those lights continuously though. After target identification that target now knows your exact location. Leaving the beacon on could be a problem while you are moving to not get shot.

That green glow could certainly look awful pretty when you cannot light up the already identified target, while they are emitting muzzle flashes aimed towards your last blast of white light.

There are other situations where having the redundant option of night sights might be your last best chance. Light failure or the light taking a bullet hit is a concern as is a drop of a handheld from you taking a bullet hit.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    just my .02, but YMMV.

I took ACT's night class once too. And sadly, I haven't been able to take it again. And this is a class that EVERYONE should try to take.
    Anyway, I found the opposite as you did. Having night sights, made things a lot easier. And I even tried a Glock with the factory sights on it.

I haven't tried the Glock night sights. But, IME, 3-dot sights suck. There's too much going on. They just confuse me. I much prefer the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights. Large orange front sight which glows green at night, and the blacked out rear sight with notch. It's faster, and you can still hit accurate shots.

But for the OP, if he's happy with his current Glock night sights, I would keep them on all my guns. Especially for self/home defense, all guns should have the same sights on them. And be setup the same way.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    Did those "quality" manufacturers somehow figure out how to get tritium to glow brighter and longer?

If your dealer/LGS goes through Davidson's distributor you can get the AmeriGlo orange/green dot on most models for free. Right now, the Gen 4 TALO editions that come with night sights are cheaper than the standard Gen 4 without. Use the Gun Genie app to see what I'm talking about.

NewGlockCity

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I think you should stick with what work best for you. One advantage to the own sights are that during daytime it’s sort of like traditional 3 dot white sights. I am curious what others prefer as their optimum ALL-AROUND Day/night sights. Do they make a perfect set that work for all around?? Maybe trijicon HD?

Top Bottom