• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    So my husband took his beretta to the range today for the first time since 2000 (I think he shot it only once), first magazine had no issues but from that point on there was constant misfire, and "stove-piping" or jamming. We had used Luger brand, and we're both hoping that maybe the bastard was just being picky with ammo. Anybody have experience with this gun and what ammo (for plinking) is favored by it?

PS: I'm enjoying a glass of whiskey as I write this, so if there is any grammar or spelling issues.... just ignore it :)::)::):

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    That amount of time with out use, it may just be dirty and or rust. I'd give her a good cleaning and have at it again. Bad Ammo is also a possibility. Although the 92 series has not been know to be picky with ammo. Where was the gun stored for about 16 years?

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Luger brand? That is the brand name of the magazines? I just buy mine from Beretta. How many magazines did you guys have on hand, and how many of them were Beretta magazines?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My 92 series like to run wet. I found that early when I got my first, cleaned it and just lightly oiled. Constant problems until a friend came over, drowned it in gun oil and never a problem since.

As to mags, the 92 is very picky about mags. Use only Beretta "PB' marked, MDS or Mec-gar. MDS and Mec-gar both make or have made "factory" mags for Beretta as well as others, so their quality is obviously equal to the factory marked mags.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Curious I just bought a 92FS. I've had a 96 for alot of years. Only issue I have had is with aftermarket mags, they just don't like them.

As for the whiskey........Cheers

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    The Luger is the brand of ammo, I purchased it from Rural King.
    One magazine came with the gun, the other 3 I purchased from a member on here and they are the same magazines as the one that came with his. He's thinking it might need a bit of oiling up so we will see. I'll see about taking it apart and getting it oiled up this week, and hopefully we can go next weekend.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    So my husband took his beretta to the range today for the first time since 2000 (I think he shot it only once), first magazine had no issues but from that point on there was constant misfire, and "stove-piping" or jamming. We had used Luger brand, and we're both hoping that maybe the bastard was just being picky with ammo. Anybody have experience with this gun and what ammo (for plinking) is favored by it?

PS: I'm enjoying a glass of whiskey as I write this, so if there is any grammar or spelling issues.... just ignore it :)::)::):

its hard to make a 92 fail when used with quality ammo, factory mags, and well lubed. Sitting for 17 years, whatever old lube was used may have gummed up and need cleaned out.

-rvb

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    its hard to make a 92 fail when used with quality ammo, factory mags, and well lubed. Sitting for 17 years, whatever old lube was used may have gummed up and need cleaned out.

-rvb

My findings also. I have had several M9/92fs Beretta pistols and they all ate almost everything. I would try some Federal, Remington or Winchester ammo. 124 grain is a natural for that pistol.

They are not hard to lube. Two tiny dabs of grease where the barrel locking block touches the frame and a little oil on the slide rails. Good luck on the next outing.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My M9 never choked on most anything I fed it, once with a large cast bullet it refused to chamber.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I woukd say try some other ammo. I was a Combat Arms Instructor in the USAF and carry a Beretta 92D DAO on the job. As far as the Military M9 I can't say anything bad. They ran and ran. The only issues were some locking block failures on early models from the 80's which were testified and a couple spring issues but jams, never really had any.

The agency 92D's are newer Vertec and no jams or anything but the Vertex trigger is polymer and we have had some of our training guns get dead triggers. The other wore down and stops being able to be reset

As much as I wanted to dislike the Beretta I can't ones I have seen have worked like a champ.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    As stated... Clean and Lube is your starting point.

Another area of inspection should be the main spring, recoil spring and magazine springs if the above advise does not work. After sitting for 17 years, possibly in a cocked state, it is possible that some springs have weakened.

DaveM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I agree, break it down, give the poor unloved thing a good bath and buy another brand of cheap practice ammo. I don't think I've seen that brand before, I just use something like PPU, Winchester white box, etc.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    As stated... Clean and Lube is your starting point.

Another area of inspection should be the main spring, recoil spring and magazine springs if the above advise does not work. After sitting for 17 years, possibly in a cocked state, it is possible that some springs have weakened.

The 3 mags I sold them I had no issues in my 92F. There were GI surplus, but if I recall I did a mag cleaning about 2 yrs ago on all my mags. I would say the mag springs are still good, but you never know these days.

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    I've only ever had issues with my 92fs once and it was because the spring guide rod wasn't seated properly on the locking block.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I agree with TECKS above. Totally strip down the gun and detail clean it to the nth degree. Oil and lube it with the highest quality lubricants you can find. Take the magazine apart and clean it till it shines. Then get some good factory ammo and try again. If all else fails after this exercise, bring it to a good gunsmith who is familiar with this particular pistol and let him loose on it. My 92 FS Inox eats anything I feed it; plus I clean it after each range trip. I am OCD about cleaning, lubing and maintaining my weapons.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have ran or been a part of countless M9 ranges over the years.
    Dirt really won't stop them look at the feed angle it's straight into the barrel. If the slide will go back and forth you are good.
    The number one fault is bad magazines,bent,dirty,weak springs, wore out.
    Number two would be improperly assembled pistols.
    If your pistol comes apart when shoot it you have found the problem.
    My guess is bad weak ammo!

Top Bottom