• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    First off, let me tell you what im looking for, a new edc gun that will be on my person 24/7. It will even be considered a companion to my fullsize when i carry it. What i really want is a metal framed 9mm with a passive safety(not just the trigger flap) small enough i can pocket carry ( single stack), a hammer with a Da/sa,that wont hurt my feeling if it gets a scratch on the finish. I also want a rail for mounting a light. my final requirment is that it is made by a well renowned company.

so far the gun i am searching for doesnt seem to exist, so im leaning toward an xds. The xds has everything i want minus the metal frame and hammer. Do you guys like your xds? Is it reliable? Do you think it could go a long time with minimum maintenance? Would you have preferred the 4.0 over the 3.3? Howre you guys doing accuracy wise at about 15 yards?

I guess im looking for reviews by real people on the xds. Not just magazine and gun site reviews. I couldnt find a general review on here. With the springfield gear up add im really considering it, 480 bucks i want something thatll serve its outpose well.Tell me what you guys think, hows it holding up after say 10,000 rounds? Hope im not making a replica thread. Thanks guys.

Judson951

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    I had one and it was a good pistol. They are on sale down here in Evansville at Rural King for $379 and I think that is a hell of a deal. I shot mine ok when I had it. I would buy the 3.3 if I was going to carry it daily. I know this was not all of the info you are looking for but I hope it helps.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I dunno how big your pockets are/small your thighs are, but I found the XD-S to be a bit too big for me to pocket carry.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've got a 4" model and love it. I thought about the 3.3" but the extra 3/4" or so won't hinder my carry style so why not? When I really want to be discrete, the 7 rd mag works fine. But throw the 9 rd mag in and it's a full size gun. I've taken a few training courses with it and it's run flawlessly. Probably well over a 1,000 rounds so far.

My dad has the 3.3" model. It shoots just as good.

I did a review of it a while back.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo-real-world-reviews/389445-review-xds-9mm-4-0-a.html

Pocket carry will be tough as it's not a micro pistol.

Now S&W did make a 3rd Gen 9mm that fits most of your criteria. I don't recall the model number but here is a picture.

SW_3953TSW.jpg

It's basically a 3913 w/ a rail. I think they had DOA and SA/DA. You can research it a bit for more info. I carried a 3913 for a few years and loved it. But I decided to go striker fired for all of my EDC's and I let it go. Kinda wish I hadn't.

3rd gen Smith's are awesome pistols.

Last edited:

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    S&W CS9 has everything but the rail. I have one as a secondary CC - my EDC is a G27. It was my backup when I was a LEO. So I have all the 'extras', and you can find holsters easily. I have an Alien Gear IWB and love it!
    The problem with the CS9 was it was short lived and trying to find one is difficult - mine was a gift from a hunting buddy. Also trying to find fitted holsters and extra mags is a pain. I've read the 3913 mags will work. Anyway my humble $.02 worth.
    https://homedefenseweapons.net/1118-smith-wesson-cs9/
    CS9.jpg

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    The XDs is a good choice. Mine doesn't have anywhere near 10K rounds through it but it's been good to me so far.

If you really want to find reviews about it though you might was to do a search at XDTalk.com.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I actually learned about the gear up promo from the Rural King mailer, so it should qualify. I shot an XDS and liked it, but felt like the XDM was a better fit in my hands so ended up with that instead. Though, I wouldn't mind getting the XDS in 45 just for fun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Solid review big tanker, i hate that i feel like i need to make this decision in the next day becauze they happen to be on sale right now for 379.99 which i think is a solid deal. Espeically with the springfield add. I honestly dont pocket carry often, but this pustol needs to at least fit that criteria somewhat. I have considered the s and w third gens, however the availability is a real crutch and the same for its mags and holsters..

sense one of this pistols requirments is that it must be able to be very deeply concealed, does the ingo community think id be better off with a .380? Perhaps a s and w bodyguard?

I hate dont particularly like buying guns based on looks but that 4.0 with the stainless slide is SLICK.. and i love the idea of putting and extended mag on and having a full size for the range/home defense. The rail is strictly for home use. If it opens my options up i guess i can let it go and buy a nice flashlight.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Solid review big tanker, i hate that i feel like i need to make this decision in the next day becauze they happen to be on sale right now for 379.99 which i think is a solid deal. Espeically with the springfield add. I honestly dont pocket carry often, but this pustol needs to at least fit that criteria somewhat. I have considered the s and w third gens, however the availability is a real crutch and the same for its mags and holsters..

sense one of this pistols requirments is that it must be able to be very deeply concealed, does the ingo community think id be better off with a .380? Perhaps a s and w bodyguard?

I hate dont particularly like buying guns based on looks but that 4.0 with the stainless slide is SLICK.. and i love the idea of putting and extended mag on and having a full size for the range/home defense. The rail is strictly for home use. If it opens my options up i guess i can let it go and buy a nice flashlight.

Maybe two different guns would be the answer. Get the XDs and maybe a Ruger LCP in .380 for pocket carry. They can be had cheap right now.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Im at that dangerous point of taking cash with me when i look at the gun shops..
    when i get to this point i find it best just to pull the trigger. I know i wont be upset with my choice so i may as well buy now and cry later. Ill trade up later if i want to perhaps.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Rural kings xds doesnt come with the essentials pack. So the 379.99 is kinda useless. I want the xds essentials pack plus the springfield give away. Oh well saved me a few hundred bucks for another day.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I dunno how big your pockets are/small your thighs are, but I found the XD-S to be a bit too big for me to pocket carry.

Borderline for me. I hope that when OP says "pocket carry" he means with a proper holster. I wouldn't just stick the XDs in my pocket without a holster except in a dire emergency.

jimbob488

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    MERRILLVILLE INDIANA
    Go for the Xd's. I'm thinking of getting a 4.0. I saw em on slickguns.com a few weeks back for 360. Then with the promotion they got going it's a deal. Get your self a desantis mini scabbard holster and it's comfortable to carry as all get out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Okay so i went in to buy an xds and backed out.. i think i need to look at my priorities. My 1911 is always going to be my primary. so i dont really need something between a primary and a bug. Im thinking now about the bodyguard .380, in a triggerguard holster in my jacket pocket with the lanyard onto a banana clip hooked to a belt loop. My jacket has a zipper so no risk of it falling out. The idea is a gun i can have on me ALWAYS.

i think im out of the xds. But if i didnt carry my 1911 it seems like a very finely made piece

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I watched this but didn't post because my xds is the 45 caliber. I have had zero issues with it. I purchased it to replace a Kimber ultra carry. I just couldn't stand the 500 round spring life. Well, the gun shot and handled so well and ate many more than 500 rounds that I bought a second one for my brother. I cannot give a better recommendation. I do not think you'll like pocket carry with it, though.

The body gaurd 380 is one of the very few guns I've disliked enough to sell.

Top Bottom