• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I'm looking to possibly get another 1911 tomorrow. I have been looking at a Colt Government in satin stainless, or a two tone Ruger SR. I am not sure which way to go. I would like to do both, but that's not in the budget. Opinions, pros and cons on both would be great. Thanks guys.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I don't know the price of the Colt, but I'd imagine that it's noticeably higher than the Ruger.
    If you don't have a Colt already - get the Colt. Every collection needs a Colt.
    Otherwise, get the Ruger.

Do you plan on customizing it (trigger/hammer work or replacements, sights, internals, etc) or leaving it stock?

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Late last summer, I picked up the Ruger SR1911 lightweight commander in 9mm. I think the lightweight commander in 45 is very nice looking. I absolutely dig mine... the trigger is very nice, continues to get better, and the sights were dead-centered right out of the gate. I put on different grips, and swapped out the stock 10# recoil spring for a 14# option (which you wouldn't need to do on the 45 model), but otherwise, it has run like a sewing machine... especially for the price, this has truly exceeded my expectations.

And before you ask, YES, I am the world's worst digital photographer:

20161030_224128_zpsraupgl9c.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

aztec777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2016
    Reno
    Get the Colt and wear it out. The Ruger is a good gun, but if you are comparing it to the Colt, it's a no-brainer.

Porsche911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2015
    United States
    I have a Kimber Custom Carry II and love it. I have a friend that really likes his range officer. I don't think you can go too wrong with a 1911. Stay away from Rock Island though.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I have a Kimber Custom Carry II and love it. I have a friend that really likes his range officer. I don't think you can go too wrong with a 1911. Stay away from Rock Island though.

Go easy on the Rock Islands...I love the 2 I have. They run flawless. No interest in a Kimber, they have never done anything for me.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Late last summer, I picked up the Ruger SR1911 lightweight commander in 9mm. I think the lightweight commander in 45 is very nice looking. I absolutely dig mine... the trigger is very nice, continues to get better, and the sights were dead-centered right out of the gate. I put on different grips, and swapped out the stock 10# recoil spring for a 14# option (which you wouldn't need to do on the 45 model), but otherwise, it has run like a sewing machine... especially for the price, this has truly exceeded my expectations.

And before you ask, YES, I am the world's worst digital photographer:

20161030_224128_zpsraupgl9c.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

The Ruger is a beautiful pistol. I really like the two tone. Starting to lean towards the Colt though.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

Go easy on the Rock Islands...I love the 2 I have. They run flawless. No interest in a Kimber, they have never done anything for me.

Same here, I have 2 RIA's, 1 in .45 and 1 in 9mm.
    Sure you can get a bad one, but you can get a bad one of anything. As for the Kimber, to overpriced for me

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Get the Colt and wear it out. The Ruger is a good gun, but if you are comparing it to the Colt, it's a no-brainer.

I don't know the price of the Colt, but I'd imagine that it's noticeably higher than the Ruger.
    If you don't have a Colt already - get the Colt. Every collection needs a Colt.
    Otherwise, get the Ruger.

Do you plan on customizing it (trigger/hammer work or replacements, sights, internals, etc) or leaving it stock?

Thanks for the reply's guys. I am leaning towards the Colt. Its actually cheaper than the Ruger. The Colt is used, the Ruger is new. Colt will run me $700, Ruger $750. No plans on any custom work at the moment. I had a gun worked on years ago and the smith screwed it up, big time. Its been very hard to hand my gun to anyone to have them work on it. Thanks again for the replys...

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    A Colt Government model 1991 (blued) and a Ruger SR1911 both run about $650-700. The stainless model of Colt runs about $80 more. I have both and like them both. The Colt is better looking (my opinion only and I have the blued version), the Ruger is a little more reliable and a smoother trigger.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    WP_20170217_14_44_46_Pro.jpg

Well, I did it. I dumped my Taurus 92, 99, and 917 today. They have been collecting dust mostly since I bought them. I got my price on all three of them and got my 1911 today. I decided to go with the Colt, its an 80 series. It seems to be all stock, no custom work done that I can tell. I hope to take it out and shoot it tomorrow.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    View attachment 53252

Well, I did it. I dumped my Taurus 92, 99, and 917 today. They have been collecting dust mostly since I bought them. I got my price on all three of them and got my 1911 today. I decided to go with the Colt, its an 80 series. It seems to be all stock, no custom work done that I can tell. I hope to take it out and shoot it tomorrow.

Beautiful pistol. Getting a new gun is an emotional blast.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Beautiful pistol. Getting a new gun is an emotional blast.

Yes it is. Never had an opportunity to shoot it today. Trying to make sure another 1911 I have is going to be acceptable for carry. I have a compact that is going to be my new daily carry. I tried some Hornady Custom, no go. I am going to try the Remington Golden Sabers next. They look to have a slightly more rounded profile than the Hornady...

Top Bottom