• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jbow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Muncie
    Getting a new pistol want something to put in my pocket. Looking at these two and am having a tuff decision to make. I like them both I like the fact that the sig. has night sites. I like the ergonomics better of the micro nine. looking for some helpful information and opinions. Also how hard is it to put night sights on the micro nine.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    Getting a new pistol want something to put in my pocket. Looking at these two and am having a tuff decision to make. I like them both I like the fact that the sig. has night sites. I like the ergonomics better of the micro nine. looking for some helpful information and opinions. Also how hard is it to put night sights on the micro nine.

I've been carrying and shooting the Kimber Micro 9 for a few months now.

It's the perfect weight. It has that solid metal 1911(ish) frame which gives it the weight it needs to handle recoil well. But it's still only around 15oz, so its not going to drag your pants down. I've been carrying it IWB appendix and OWB on a thumb break leather holster.

In terms of shootability: the trigger is amazing. Like really amazing; it's a good 1911 trigger. There is no travel and the reset is just instant. You can empty the extended magazine in the blink of an eye. Also, it's amazingly accurate for such a limited sight radius. Maybe it's just me (doubt it), but I can put shots on target very easy and quick with this thing from any self-defense distance. It just points nice, if I can put it that way.

I have the duo tone model and it looks great. But that much is fairly obvious. The wife, who is pretty picky on gun appearance, even by girly standards, thinks it's "very pretty;" she wants to steal it from me eventually from the sounds of it.

The only issue, which is no surprise, is that it is picky on ammo. Some ammo (especially aluminum and steel) it will have problems extracting. I actually am having some issues with extraction on Blazer Brass, which is odd. I am sending it in to Kimber to have them take a look and make sure nothing is out of spec. Customer service \ warranty is really good so it's not a big deal. Also, this may be a one off thing.

Frankly, for me, the size, the thin profile, the easy to manage recoil, the sweet \ fast trigger, makes this a perfect pocket\ankle BUG. I'm a trigger snob, and I don't know of a pocket gun with a better trigger. I am actually moving it to the BUG role on my ankle. I've been carrying it primary for a bit now but I normally like to have something higher capacity.

As a Sig fanboy, I would definitely be okay with anyone buying any Sig, but I know nothing about the p938 so I couldn't compare.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Have had both. Still have the P938 - love it.

The Kimber has a great look - far better than the Sig - was very accurate for its size but was ammo sensitive. Now, that is no surprise, the manual was very clear about premium ammo, as I recall. Run the best ammo in it and it was a dream....I just preferred the "eat anything" Sig and my two tone SAS version is not bad looking at all.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The Sig will eat anything and be dead nuts reliable, I had one and put about 1,700 rounds through it before it broke (I had an "original 938" and they had mainspring housing issues that have been since corrected on 2015 and newer models). It shot steel, and light reloads very well (Never shot aluminum case before so I cannot comment).

Both pistols are around the same price and the Sig while not as pretty has better features and is significantly less picky on ammo (IDK about you but I cannot afford to run HST through my carry gun all the time) I mean seriously I am a notorious Kimber hater but they basically ripped off the P938 almost exactly and while they improved the cosmetics they made it run worse.

As to the triggers they are not nor will they ever be "as good as a 1911" they are heavy and have creep plus they break at around 6-7 pounds (too heavy IMHO considering the thumb safety). If you want a "pretty" gun get the P938 SAS that is a good looking Sig, but then again looks on a carry gun dont really matter because hopefully no one will ever see it.

TDLR: Buy the Sig!!!!

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Have had both. Still have the P938 - love it.

The Kimber has a great look - far better than the Sig - was very accurate for its size but was ammo sensitive. Now, that is no surprise, the manual was very clear about premium ammo, as I recall. Run the best ammo in it and it was a dream....I just preferred the "eat anything" Sig and my two tone SAS version is not bad looking at all.

A carry gun that is ammo sensitive is just a disaster waiting to happen, if it was a target gun that would be ok but I honestly think that Kimber is a joke.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    ^^ What everyone has said. I've found the Sigs to be utterly reliable and the Kimbers to be horribly picky. Which would you rather trust your life to, looks or function?

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    Just a word on Kimber Micro 9 being picky: This is mostly a range\practice issue. It feeds quality defensive ammo flawlessly. I would trust the gun with my life with Federal HST for example. In principle, I just dislike not being able to shoot it a lot. But a lot of people don't shoot their pocket guns "a lot," but enough to be proficient. For me, the trigger + pocket size make it a great option. Also, Kimber will work with you on extraction issues, so pickyness might be an issue you need to bring to Kimber for them to resolve. I think the quality control for Kimber is not what it ought to be, but still great guns by and large. It's just difficult to defend Kimber when the ability to fire anything flawlessly should be a top concern for all gun manufacturers. But they do a lot well at the same time. So it's tough. There is no way you're finding a pocket gun with a better trigger. I like the idea in a close defensive situation being able to empty the mag very fast where stopping the perp quickly is absolutely critical. There is no worry about trigger reset. To me, that is one of the key elements of a quality defensive gun. It's too easy to botch a simple double tap on a lot of guns when under stress. Participating in an IDPA is helpful for finding these little kinks.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I too was on the fence on which gun to go with. I researched both, went to LGS and fondled both, and still couldn't decide.

I then checked on availability of holsters, magazines and other factory and aftermarket parts. The Sig won hands down here.

I finally decided to go with the Sig, mainly because of parts availability, front and rear checkering on the front and back strap for a better grip and the night sights are definitely a bonus.

A LNIB Sig P938 SAS now resides on my hip as I type this. I've had zero issues thus far while using different brands of ammo, including HSTs. I believe I'll have some Kahrs for sale now that I've found the P938!

Smithkowitz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2017
    PAC NW
    I've been carrying and shooting the Kimber Micro 9 for a few months now.

It's the perfect weight. It has that solid metal 1911(ish) frame which gives it the weight it needs to handle recoil well.

In terms of shootability: the trigger is amazing. Like really amazing; it's a good 1911 trigger. Also, it's amazingly accurate for such a limited sight radius.

The only issue, which is no surprise, is that it is picky on ammo. Some ammo (especially aluminum and steel) it will have problems extracting. I actually am having some issues with extraction on Blazer Brass, which is odd. I am sending it in to Kimber to have them take a look and make sure nothing is out of spec.

Frankly, for me, the size, the thin profile, the easy to manage recoil, the sweet \ fast trigger, makes this a perfect pocket\ankle BUG. I'm a trigger snob, and I don't know of a pocket gun with a better trigger. I am actually moving it to the BUG role on my ankle. I've been carrying it primary for a bit now but I normally like to have something higher capacity.

As a Sig fanboy, I would definitely be okay with anyone buying any Sig, but I know nothing about the p938 so I couldn't compare.

Hmmm, I too have/had both of these pocket 9's as well as a Sig P290RS. The only one left standing is the Kimber Micro 9 . . . it is the only one that proved reliable so far. The P290RS was a problem child from day one. Couldn't even load the magazine completely, even using a Uplula (it was a manufacturer error, they replaced the mag free after a phone call; had to return the old one). The P290RS (RS = re-strike) and it certainly needed it. Must've had to use it 2 or 3 times for every magazine I tried to fire. Mine was the version that included a laser sight: I never even mounted or tried it I was so disappointed in the firearm. Traded it in for a CZ PCR. Bought the P938 SAS before I got rid of the P290RS, I thought maybe it would be better. It was in many ways, but it was still plagued with issues. First the front Tritium Sight went dead. I called Sig and told them and they said to send in the slide. They didn't even offer to pay for the shipping, I had to ask if they were going to! It wasn't even a month old at the time. Got it back and maybe a few months later, I am shooting it and the guide rod (two piece) pops out the front! Luckily I was able to spot in the floor full of spent casings at the range. The last straw was the trigger malfunctioning. Something plastic inside the mainspring housing appeared to have sheared down and the trigger every now and then would seem like it was about 25 pounds, or that it wasn't going to follow through at all. The Kimber Micro 9 has been flawless in the first 400 rounds. I have shot Blazer Brass 115/124, IMI FMJ 115 and HP, Geco FMJ 124 and HP, Hornady FTX, Speer Gold 124 HP +P, Sellier and Belloit FMJ 115 even intermixed mags without issue. I guess like any products that are mass-produced, there are good and bad. I've owned 3 Sig products and they've all had issues, the only one I still own is a P232 (which finally seems to be resolved; it had constant re-strike issues initially). As for Kimber's, I've owned 4 of them and only one had intermittent issues. It was an Ultra (short barrel) which are known to be problematic.

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    Interesting read. I held both today and really preferred the feel of the Kimber. Will be curious to see how both shoot together. Sure would be nice to take them both home for the weekend before deciding, lol.

Top Bottom