• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Finally jumped in the CZ pond with a new SP-01...nothing fancy or custom. There are plenty of lengthy reviews all over the internet that do a good job of detailing the SP-01, so I won't attempt that here.

As a 1911 and S&W loyalist, my expectations where tepid, at best. Figured for ~$650 out the door that I didn't have much to lose and we can always use another gun.

Out of the box (in spite of the fact it was literally dripping wet), the gun lays in my hand perfectly. I have larger hands than President Trump, with the 1911/M&P grip sizes being ideal in feel to me. This CZ might just be the perfect combination of the two. Slide fitment is nice and tight. The gun has a well built feel with tight tolerances. The matte finish is nice; not 1960's bluing nice, but nice...It is well built and feel so in the hand. Maybe not the balance of a nice 1911 but it also costs a whole lot less with a lot more capacity.

The gun has a great fit in the hand, as stated, but as the mag empties it does have some front end weight. It is a heavy gun and feels heavier than its actual weight. This is range gun for me, so the weight is not an issue. It is a VERY low recoil shooter and falls back on target VERY easily. I can see why people are so accurate with this gun and makes an incredible competitive gun. As a note; the 25 meter test sheet that came with the gun had a 1.5" group. While I didn't quite replicate that (more on that later), I have no doubt that, with a rest, it will shoot that group consistently.

So....Ergonomics--GREAT; Build Quality--GREAT; Accuracy--FAR BETTER THAN ME. Price to Value: INCREDIBLE. So far, the CZ has meet all the hype that surrounds them

Now for the trigger....

The DA pull is fine. Long, smooth and heavy (almost 12 pounds). That's fine. Not S&W revolver fine, but no complaints.

SA pull (4.5 pound break) has a long smooth take up as you would expect from a DA/SA trigger and no over travel. I mean ZERO overtravel. Nice! Even new, its very smooth - and this is a decocker model.

Now, I shot this gun "out-of-box" as accurately as anything I own - so I am very impressed with the gun BUT there is a lot of creep with no wall to break in the trigger. So...you CZ junkies...can the travel be shortened without a full trigger kit? I am really very happy with the trigger just would like to either (1) cut the travel in half or (2) give it a lighter pull with a slight wall.

To the rest of you that do not own a CZ; if you are a handgun junkie - buy one. Just buy one. If you are looking for a solid all metal 9 mm. Buy one. Yes; I think I've bought into all the hype!

As a matter of fact, I will be buying a 97 model in a few weeks...

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    My Accu-Shadow has a decent amount of travel SA as well but a very clean maybe 3# break so no complaints. Send it off to Cz custom they will hook it up, my DA is as smooth as my 70's Python now it's a dream to shoot

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    It can be shortened.
    CZ custom or Cajun gun Works are the main places. If you have the SP-01, it has the firing pin block (FPB) which is responsible for a large portion of that creep in the trigger. You can, with aftermarket parts, remove the FPB and get it to function more like a Shadow or 85 model (with NO FPB).

For a do-it-yourselfer and if you don't want to disable the FPB, then you'd want a "disco kit" (disconnector) to start. Done correctly, this should lighten and shorten the pull - though you'll always have some take-up.
    Also, CZ Custom and CGW offer all sorts of upgrades. CZ Custom even has some old pre-B disconnectors/triggers that they'll install for you.
    Welcome to the club... the CZ kool-aid is delicious, isn't it?

I'll let others comment on further specifics and I love my trigger and have never even fully disassembled my CZ 75 Shadow.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    Yes I agree that removing the firing pin block, lifter and spring and adding the lifter arm spacer and the CGW disconnector will help with take up. The hammer hooks on a stock trigger are about .040 and this causes the trigger to cam backwards before it breaks adding to trigger creep. With the CGW Race hammer the hooks are ground to about .009 so you do not get the camming back of the trigger and it produces is a crisp and clean break Also the geometry of the CGW hammer is different than a stock trigger and requires the adjustable sear. When combined with 11.5 or 13.0 lbs mainspring it can produce a trigger pull of 3-4 lbs. But when you use lower than a 15 lbs. mainspring you also have to change to the extended firing pin and reduced power trigger return spring. I had talked to David at CGW a couple of days ago and part of the cause with felt trigger creep after cajunizing is that the face of the sear that engages the trigger should not be polished smooth. If it is left a little rough feeling it allows the hammer sear engagement to snap, break clean so as not to slide causing creep feel. You can also put a break on the bottom edge of the sear like a 1911 sear is done. This works for me and I always use the CGW Pro Kit on my CZ's to bring out the best!. Minimum would be to use the extended firing pin kit with lower weight mainspring, disconnector and use the reduced power trigger return spring along with a removable trigger pin. Then polish all necessary internals to smooth the action which you can find a how to on the Original CZ Forum under CZ gun smithing. Thread (Smoothing the Action) by schmeky (David from CGW).

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    The hammer hooks on a stock trigger are about .040 and this causes the trigger to cam backwards before it breaks adding to trigger creep.

Just looking at the function; that seems to be bulk of the creep. Unlike a 1911, it doesn't look tunable without replacing parts around it? It breaks consistently SA at 4.5 pounds - DA is darn near 12 (not half cock) - but I would have guessed ten as its very smooth and even. Still, not bad at all for a $650 gun.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Yes I agree that removing the firing pin block, lifter and spring and adding the lifter arm spacer and the CGW disconnector will help with take up. The hammer hooks on a stock trigger are about .040 and this causes the trigger to cam backwards before it breaks adding to trigger creep. With the CGW Race hammer the hooks are ground to about .009 so you do not get the camming back of the trigger and it produces is a crisp and clean break Also the geometry of the CGW hammer is different than a stock trigger and requires the adjustable sear. When combined with 11.5 or 13.0 lbs mainspring it can produce a trigger pull of 3-4 lbs. But when you use lower than a 15 lbs. mainspring you also have to change to the extended firing pin and reduced power trigger return spring. I had talked to David at CGW a couple of days ago and part of the cause with felt trigger creep after cajunizing is that the face of the sear that engages the trigger should not be polished smooth. If it is left a little rough feeling it allows the hammer sear engagement to snap, break clean so as not to slide causing creep feel. You can also put a break on the bottom edge of the sear like a 1911 sear is done. This works for me and I always use the CGW Pro Kit on my CZ's to bring out the best!. Minimum would be to use the extended firing pin kit with lower weight mainspring, disconnector and use the reduced power trigger return spring along with a removable trigger pin. Then polish all necessary internals to smooth the action which you can find a how to on the Original CZ Forum under CZ gun smithing. Thread (Smoothing the Action) by schmeky (David from CGW).

Would be nice if there was a place to deposit information like this (CZ magic sticky or something). Good information!

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    Just looking at the function; that seems to be bulk of the creep. Unlike a 1911, it doesn't look tunable without replacing parts around it? It breaks consistently SA at 4.5 pounds - DA is darn near 12 (not half cock) - but I would have guessed ten as its very smooth and even. Still, not bad at all for a $650 gun.

I have a compact that I cut the stock hammer hooks down to .012, changed to a 11.5 hammer spring and extended firing pin & reduced power FP spring. polished all the internals and have achieved a 2.12 lbs. SA that feels just like a CGW race hammer breaking glass and no camming back and 7 lbs DA that is not bad but requires a little more work. I also fit a new barrel in this one to replace a barrel that had a slight bulge about an 1 1/2 into the bore. BA had got this one as need some attention. It is a tack driver but looks ragged but I think it is very cool:cool: I had mentioned all this to David at CGW asking if he though it would hold up and found out the hammers are heat treated through out so should be ok.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have a compact that I cut the stock hammer hooks down to .012, changed to a 11.5 hammer spring and extended firing pin & reduced power FP spring. polished all the internals and have achieved a 2.12 lbs. SA that feels just like a CGW race hammer breaking glass and no camming back and 7 lbs DA that is not bad but requires a little more work. I also fit a new barrel in this one to replace a barrel that had a slight bulge about an 1 1/2 into the bore. BA had got this one as need some attention. It is a tack driver but looks ragged but I think it is very cool:cool: I had mentioned all this to David at CGW asking if he though it would hold up and found out the hammers are heat treated through out so should be ok.
    Ah, the infamous "New Barrel Gun"

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Just bought my first CZ a P-07 and have a goodie bag coming from Cajun Gun Works. Talked with David at Cajun and he made the suggestions for Short Reset Trigger kit and some other springs to jelp with the DA pull and reset. I hope to get them this week and install over the weekend. I'll let you know the difference for my 07. So far love the gun.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Just be aware that the CZ97 is a big gun. I have large hands (I can palm a basketball) and it fits great In my hand. Be sure to fondle it before buying it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Just be aware that the CZ97 is a big gun. I have large hands (I can palm a basketball) and it fits great In my hand. Be sure to fondle it before buying it.

Found the following at Real Guns - The CZ 97* BD Standard - A Serious .45 ACP and the irrelevance of creative photography

Real world feel; I found the 97 (store fondling only) to "feel" thicker than just a 1/4 inch more than a 1911 but still comfortable. The DA trigger reach on the 97B is what I noticed as being in another zip code and the numbers below bear that out.

Weight & Measure
    CZ 97
    Height
    5.37"
    5.25"
    Length
    8.38"
    8.50"
    Grip Width
    1.25"
    1.31"
    Grip Circumference
    6.00"
    5.75"
    Trigger Reach - SA/DA
    2.85"/3.15"
    2.75"
    Weight - ounces

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Just bought my first CZ a P-07 and have a goodie bag coming from Cajun Gun Works. Talked with David at Cajun and he made the suggestions for Short Reset Trigger kit and some other springs to jelp with the DA pull and reset. I hope to get them this week and install over the weekend. I'll let you know the difference for my 07. So far love the gun.

Congrats on the new P07. Is your's a 9mm or .40? To me, an SRS kit is a must have for any new CZ. It's a real deal for the difference it makes in the feel of the gun. Add a reduced power trigger spring and pin kit and you are still well under $100 for a very different feeling gun as compared to the beginning feel.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had a similar experience with the G19s. I have and still like a G23 that I shoot well. I figured that the G19 would be perfect for me. I ended up buying two of them thinking that they would eventually click and I'd shoot them as well as I do the G23. It never happened and I ended up selling both. They are a great pistol, but it just did not work for me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom