• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    As I contemplate switching to .357 Sig as EDC, I have been reviewing what could be a the "best" platform for this cartridge.

So far, I've come down to Sig P229 Legion, due to it's excessive awesomeness. But the round count gots me down. It's also a bit thick and heavy (though might still work IWB). The only other option I am considering is the Glock 31/32. But for whatever reason, I have a Glock allergy. Maybe it's because they're ugly. Maybe because I don't have enough experience with them. Anyway, typically my EDC standards are a semi-auto that can comfortably IWB, 15+ capacity (even if extended mag), and that can eat any kind of ammo "all day err day". The Glock 32 sounds like it might work since it's compact, can do 15 rnd mag, and I am guessing is reliable. However, not sure how that mag extension would work concealed.

I'm wondering, what is your idea of the best EDC .357 Sig? What should I consider? The question isn't so much: "What's the best .357 Sig for comfort," but rather: "what is the best .357 Sig platform that could reasonably be concealed in the summer."

I want to say Sig P229 Legion due to fan-boy-ness. But I am one of those "shot placement" folks and therefore round count is important, and the P229 is 12 + 1 in .357. I'm already preparing for a very statistically unlikely scenario, why not prepare for a slightly more unlikely scenario of having a fire fight involving cover which would require more rounds - I've seen videos. Further, emergency reloads while lead is being slung at you seems less than fun but I'm just guessing.

:P

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Summer concealing a full-size handgun is tough... and hot. Do you need 15 rds to feel safe while EDC'ing?

Do they make an XDs in 357sig? No single stack glocks in 357sig or .40, right?
    I wonder if there is a single stack .40 (like the m&p shield or similar) that has a drop-in aftermarket barrel in 357sig? That would be the best of all worlds -- a caliber you asked for, compact, thin, light, etc.

My next question would be, do you have other calibers in your stable that could suffice for summer? A single-stack 9mm is SO MUCH easier to conceal for me (that's for me, my body type, my clothes, etc)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "Best" varies from person to person. The only ones I have shot are the P226 and P229. I sold the barrel for the P229 and will sell the barrel for the P226. Other than be louder and more expensive (and tougher to reload), it didn't do anything that my 9mm and .40 iterations of the same guns don't do. The questionable gains over in terminal ballistics over the 9mm and .40 weren't worth it to me. If you're set on the caliber, it basically boils down to what you think is "best" in the platform and trigger department. If you want plastic striker fired, you have your answer. If you want metal and TDA, SAO, or DAO, you also have your answer. If you want a 1911 platform, I think Sig Sauer is the only game in town that currently offers one, but I could be wrong.

I've no issue concealing a P229 in hot weather, but I also dress differently than most folks and am somewhat larger than average.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I conceal a G19 year round. Others a G17 or 1911. I don't see why with the proper holster either of the platforms you mention wouldn't work. Honestly those are the only two guns in that caliber I am familiar with. If you are from the muzzle blast will stop the bad guy school of thought, either should work well.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Of you are from the muzzle blast will stop the bad guy school of thought, either should work well.
    I've actually wondered how you would study this, as I think muzzle blast and noise probably do contribute to psychological stops. NO idea how you'd actually prove or disprove that notion, though.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I think that's the "bigger bang theory." :)

There's something to be said for increased sensory overload in terms of gaining some advantage.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I had a Glock 32 for awhile, very snappy recoil. I currently have a Glock 31, it is accurate, I too hated the look of Glocks for years. Then I decided that they are reliable, and if I ever had to use it, and it sat in a property room for a year of more, they are very easy to replace.

That is how I justified Glock to myself.

Dutch68

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2015
    apt
    Have you actually fired a handgun ( any model) in 357 Sig ? If not maybe there's a range that would let you rent one.
    Several years ago I tried one (I think it was a SA XD model) and did not like it at all---That's just me . I favor handguns in 9mm for many reasons . Again that's just me. If you decide to get a SIG in 357 , The P229 series are great handguns , concealability depends on you and your holster.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    My two cents would be the g32. its a glock so we all know it works, dont care if youre a fan boy or not. It doesnt ever look pretty , so its okay to sweat on and get it dirty. If youd like you can carry G31 mags for extra capacity, and carry a G33 as an ankle gun. It is well supported by the aftermarket and there are plenty of toys/holsters/things that work on it. If you have to hand it over as property or evidence in a shooting its okay if it sits in a property room and gets fondled and never oiled or cleaned. For that matter if you ever had to throw it down on the pavement (dont ask) its okay, its a glock. I own the G31,32 and 33. the recoil is substantial on the 33 but tolerable on the other two. just my .02

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I've actually wondered how you would study this, as I think muzzle blast and noise probably do contribute to psychological stops. NO idea how you'd actually prove or disprove that notion, though.

When the Texas DPS went with P226 in .357 Sig, there were comments like "When shooting a 9, people look to see what we're doing, when shooting the 357Sig, people run away."

But after a few years the DPS also decided to go back to 9mm. They were having some problems with the S&W Shield, don't know where that stands now.

ETA: I put a 357 Sig in my .40 FN HiPower, and it shot very nicely. I didn't notice it being radically different from my 9mm HiPower as far as recoil. I compared nearly identical loadings in Hornady XTP ammo of 357Sig and .357Magnum, one from the Hi Power and the other from a Model 19, through a chronograph into newspaper wetpack. The Model 19 had noticeably more kick and flash and crack, but when I dug the bullets out of newspaper wet pack, the 357Sig and the .357Mag had basically identical penetration and expansion.

Last edited:

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    Summer concealing a full-size handgun is tough... and hot. Do you need 15 rds to feel safe while EDC'ing?

Do they make an XDs in 357sig? No single stack glocks in 357sig or .40, right?
    I wonder if there is a single stack .40 (like the m&p shield or similar) that has a drop-in aftermarket barrel in 357sig? That would be the best of all worlds -- a caliber you asked for, compact, thin, light, etc.

My next question would be, do you have other calibers in your stable that could suffice for summer? A single-stack 9mm is SO MUCH easier to conceal for me (that's for me, my body type, my clothes, etc)

It is tough. But I do appendix carry double stack. I don't mind depending on shape and weight. Full-size can be an issue, compact is best it seems in terms of capacity and comfort.

There is a full sized XD in .357 Sig but it's 12 rounds.

Single stack 9s are the most comfortable honestly, but I don't entertain single stack unless its a BUG.

I do like the P229 Legion option I know you can drop in a .40 barrel which is great. Same with Glock.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    "Best" varies from person to person. The only ones I have shot are the P226 and P229. I sold the barrel for the P229 and will sell the barrel for the P226. Other than be louder and more expensive (and tougher to reload), it didn't do anything that my 9mm and .40 iterations of the same guns don't do. The questionable gains over in terminal ballistics over the 9mm and .40 weren't worth it to me. If you're set on the caliber, it basically boils down to what you think is "best" in the platform and trigger department. If you want plastic striker fired, you have your answer. If you want metal and TDA, SAO, or DAO, you also have your answer. If you want a 1911 platform, I think Sig Sauer is the only game in town that currently offers one, but I could be wrong.

I've no issue concealing a P229 in hot weather, but I also dress differently than most folks and am somewhat larger than average.

Yeah, its super subjective. When I ask best I usually think pros and cons lists that keep the majority of folks experience in mind. But it is tough. I am not totally set on the caliber. I really like the idea of Underwood .357 sig 1450+ fps with 9mm bullet and .40 casing neck down. Seems like a cool design that gets under-utilized. I am already very 9mm committed in terms of what I own. And I could be talked off the .357 sig ledge. Just haven't been.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    Have you actually fired a handgun ( any model) in 357 Sig ? If not maybe there's a range that would let you rent one.
    Several years ago I tried one (I think it was a SA XD model) and did not like it at all---That's just me . I favor handguns in 9mm for many reasons . Again that's just me. If you decide to get a SIG in 357 , The P229 series are great handguns , concealability depends on you and your holster.

I am not recoil averse typically. I've never shot a caliber I didn't like. It really comes to pros and cons with me. I like .45, I like hot .357 mag loads. It's really just capacity, size, quality of the platform, etc that's the concern for .357 sig for me.

johnb62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Evansville Area
    I have a P320 compact in .357. I like it. Pretty snappy though. I like it enough that I am on the hunt for a good deal on a 229 or 226 in the same caliber.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yeah, its super subjective. When I ask best I usually think pros and cons lists that keep the majority of folks experience in mind. But it is tough. I am not totally set on the caliber. I really like the idea of Underwood .357 sig 1450+ fps with 9mm bullet and .40 casing neck down. Seems like a cool design that gets under-utilized. I am already very 9mm committed in terms of what I own. And I could be talked off the .357 sig ledge. Just haven't been.

Drive a bullet faster then is designed for it either opens too quick or fragments or both. That reduces penetration.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    Drive a bullet faster then is designed for it either opens too quick or fragments or both. That reduces penetration.

Yeah but Underwood isn't doing that. The load was designed to replicate .357 magnum 125gr loads running at 1450 fps. That's what they're doing. The new standard .357 Sig rounds (1350 fps) made by the big manufacturers are actually under-powered for the original spec. If it weren't for Underwood and others I don't think .357 Sig would be worth it. At that point it's too near 9mm +p or +p+.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    I have a P320 compact in .357. I like it. Pretty snappy though. I like it enough that I am on the hunt for a good deal on a 229 or 226 in the same caliber.

I love everything P320. Fantastic gun. Currently my favorite shooter I own. Though I have the full size with romeo1.

I wondered how the .357 Sig felt in a lighter polymer gun. .357 Sig in a plastic frame seems difficult haha. :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yeah but Underwood isn't doing that. The load was designed to replicate .357 magnum 125gr loads running at 1450 fps. That's what they're doing. The new standard .357 Sig rounds (1350 fps) made by the big manufacturers are actually under-powered for the original spec. If it weren't for Underwood and others I don't think .357 Sig would be worth it. At that point it's too near 9mm +p or +p+.

You misunderstand me. I'm talking about specific bullets, not overall design philosophy of a given cartridge. If you take a specific bullet, say a 9mm HP designed to be delivered at around 1100 fps, and then drive it to, say, 1400 fps it's going to perform worse than it did at it's designed speed for the reasons I've already stated. If they are using a bullet designed to run that speed, great. I don't care enough to research what bullet they are using and how it performs in the FBI tests, personally, but if I wanted to carry it for life/death scenarios you can be sure I would.

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    You misunderstand me. I'm talking about specific bullets, not overall design philosophy of a given cartridge. If you take a specific bullet, say a 9mm HP designed to be delivered at around 1100 fps, and then drive it to, say, 1400 fps it's going to perform worse than it did at it's designed speed for the reasons I've already stated. If they are using a bullet designed to run that speed, great. I don't care enough to research what bullet they are using and how it performs in the FBI tests, personally, but if I wanted to carry it for life/death scenarios you can be sure I would.

I hear you. And honestly, it's more reassuring if I heard that Air Marshals and US Secret Service carried something like Underwood in their .357 platforms. But I actually found out by talking to asking Gary Byrne (former USSS\Air Marshals) that at least the Air Marshals are using 125 grain Spear jacketed hollow points that run 1350 fps.

Top Bottom