• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Been collecting, carrying, and shooting various handguns for 32 years now...not counting all of Dads guns in my youth prior! (Wow...I AM that old!) Anyway...in my life experiences, I have owned and carried everything from single action 1911's, double and single action revolvers, DA/SA semi-auto's, and striker fired pistols! All have their merit and following to be sure. Is there anything better on the horizon we have yet to witness, and is that even possible with the miriad of handgun options available today? Over the last 100+ years...have we seen it all? I cant imagine there is anything "new" left? Actions, calibers, materials, capacities, low cost...what is left for us to dream about? Baring customizations of existing platforms, what is the next "best" thing?

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Been collecting, carrying, and shooting various handguns for 32 years now...not counting all of Dads guns in my youth prior! (Wow...I AM that old!) Anyway...in my life experiences, I have owned and carried everything from single action 1911's, double and single action revolvers, DA/SA semi-auto's, and striker fired pistols! All have their merit and following to be sure. Is there anything better on the horizon we have yet to witness, and is that even possible with the miriad of handgun options available today? Over the last 100+ years...have we seen it all? I cant imagine there is anything "new" left? Actions, calibers, materials, capacities, low cost...what is left for us to dream about? Baring customizations of existing platforms, what is the next "best" thing?

Laser guns!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I think we'll see a few other calibers rise... and fall.
    I think innovation will be in mechanics/engineering + materials - consider the Ruger LCR's trigger and materials.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    latest

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I believe that 1850 - 1950 was the fastest that weapons had ever developed in human history. Just compare war at 1850 and war at 1950, and you will see the exponential increase in weapons technology.

I think we have plateaued with cartridge based man portable firearms. We might see changes in the materials used and some slight changes based on those materials. But for the most part, at this point, we are working on removing flaws and increasing the durability of existing firearms. I believe we will not see remotely the same level of development of firearms/weapon systems/action operating systems that the last 167 years has brought us.

I think micro optics is what we will see developing now. Imagine a factory pistol with a military grade reliable red dot optic that is 1/2 or 1/3 the size of a RMR with a 10-20 year battery life at half the weight. Think of a rifle optic that is the size of a micro Aimpoint that has magnification, infrared technology, night vision, recording and live transmitting abilities, and selective firing and tracking capabilities (think super advanced tracking point)....all at the same time. This can all be integrated into existing cartridge based firearms with little changes to the firearm itself. That is probably where we will see significant progress in technology in the next 50 or so years. At least IMHO.

I don't see another revolutionary change in weapons technology (like the self contained cartridge based revolution) until we can develop directed energy weapons that are comparable in weight and size and reliability and firepower to our current technology.

Last edited:

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I believe that 1850 - 1950 was the fastest that weapons had ever developed in human history. Just compare war at 1850 and war at 1950, and you will see the exponential increase in weapons technology.

I think we have plateaued with cartridge based man portable firearms. We might see changes in the materials used and some slight changes based on those materials. But for the most part, at this point, we are working on removing flaws and increasing the durability of existing firearms. I believe we will not see remotely the same level of development of firearms/weapon systems/action operating systems that the last 167 years has brought us.

I think micro optics is what we will see developing now. Imagine a factory pistol with a military grade reliable red dot optic that is 1/2 or 1/3 the size of a RMR with a 10-20 year battery life at half the weight. Think of a rifle optic that is the size of a micro Aimpoint that has magnification, infrared technology, night vision, recording and live transmitting abilities, and selective firing and tracking capabilities (think super advanced tracking point)....all at the same time. This can all be integrated into existing cartridge based firearms with little changes to the firearm itself. That is probably where we will see significant progress in technology in the next 50 or so years. At least IMHO.

I don't see another revolutionary change in weapons technology (like the self contained cartridge based revolution) until we can develop directed energy weapons that are comparable in weight and size and reliability and firepower to our current technology.

All really good insights!

Top Bottom