• ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Which is better .45 ACP or 9mm Luger?
    The .40 Smith & Wesson is about to be discontinued?
    The lifetime LTCH is about to be repealed.
    1911s suck
    Glocks suck

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    The one you are carrying. Expect a rough crowd on this one OP. "Best" means different things to each person here. My answer could be 50BMG and the next guy could say .25ACP. Its a very personal choice. You carry what fits your needs.

Last edited:

TRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Jeffersonville
    What do you think is the best carry caliber and why?

I'll give you a real answer. I don't know why folks are so hard on opinion questions. They're fun even if slightly redundant.

I like 9mm. It's actually observable in self-defense footage involving firearms that capacity can be a real issue depending on the scenario. I've seen people run empty because the fight involved the use of cover. So capacity is a big deal and 9mm platforms offers higher capacity.

I think modern self-defense 9mm is proven in terms of ballistic performance and has played that reality out in real life scenarios as it is a common military and LEO caliber.

Of course there is always easy to manage follow up shots because of low felt recoil.

The truth be told all the major calibers can get the job done. It's a bit of balance between power, accuracy, and capacity.

I'm from the school of thought that prioritizes shot placement and round count (critical hits and more hits). So I'm looking for what I am most accurate with, that has the highest capacity, all with reasonable levels of penetration 14-16". And that is 9mm. I personally carry a full size 9mm with a mini optic whenever I can pull it off.

Of course 5.56 NATO would is a great carry caliber if you count throwing an AR-15 in the trunk as a carry.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    I'll give you a real answer. I don't know why folks are so hard on opinion questions

I gave a real answer as well, but when you have been a part of this community for years you become old and crusty and the delivery becomes more...direct. Kind of like that uncle that thinks you are annoying, but is forced to be around you when you are a kid. That and you secretly wish more people used the search function before getting 100 threads on open carry vs concealed carry and other beat to death topics that have been covered ad nausem. Carry on however, its a free country and all :ingo:

PS: I did throw out a warning :): and thanks for supporting the site OP!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    During my law enforcement tenure I carried both the .38 Special and 9mm and both were consistently poor performers. I am personally aware of incidents in which one suspect took six rounds at handshaking distance and then walked to the ambulance, and another (a psychotic acting out with a knife in each hand) who took six rounds from three officer's sidearms, went down, got up and charged them again, took another six rounds, went down, got up again and took six more​ rounds before he went down and stayed there, dying later in the ER. For the mathematically challenged that's eighteen rounds delivered across the distance of a residential room. If that had been a lone officer instead of three he'd have been dead.

I hear the arguments here about improved ballistics of these calibers but my experience is real-world, not academic, and I don't trust them.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    During my law enforcement tenure I carried both the .38 Special and 9mm and both were consistently poor performers. I am personally aware of incidents in which one suspect took six rounds at handshaking distance and then walked to the ambulance, and another (a psychotic acting out with a knife in each hand) who took six rounds from three officer's sidearms, went down, got up and charged them again, took another six rounds, went down, got up again and took six more​ rounds before he went down and stayed there, dying later in the ER. For the mathematically challenged that's eighteen rounds delivered across the distance of a residential room. If that had been a lone officer instead of three he'd have been dead.

I hear the arguments here about improved ballistics of these calibers but my experience is real-world, not academic, and I don't trust them.

All handgun calibers are poor performers compared to even the lower tier rifle calibers or shotguns.
    I have to wonder about exactly where those shots landed on the perp you described, especially the first ones.
    Also, handgun bullet technology has improved greatly over the last few years, one of the two good things -- the other being the 10mm Auto cartridge -- that came out of the tragedy of the Miami shootout with Michael Platt and William Matix vs. the FBI.
    It would be interesting to see how that perp would have done with accurate shot placement using Speer Gold Dots, Federal HST, or Barnes TAC XPD.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    These "which is best" questions are kind of futile. It's like asking which woman would be the best wife. Can't check them all. Some people will make the wrong decision, no matter the outside input. It has to be based on your needs, and what you like best, then make it work to your advantage. Your life your decision.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I carry 380 at the moment. After I find a hollow point that will feed reliably I am switching to a 1911 compact in 45. Currently trying out some Remington Golden Sabers. Only thing I don't care for is the limited capacity of a 1911. Figure an extra mag on my weak side should remedy that.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Good grief...why does this topic always pull me back in...

Best? Depends on about 500 different criteria points...

My favorite all around carry caliber is .357 magnum. Packs a punch/doubles with 38 special for range days and it gives me an excuse to buy Smith and Wesson Revolvers.

Now, in contradiction to that, what do I carry most often is 9mm. It is just a very versatile with few drawbacks.

My favorite handgun to shoot...1911...hands down. If I OWB carried 100% of the time it would be a 5" 1911. I don't so, again, 9 mm, is just the "best" comprise of available calibers and platform for carry use.

So...anything from .380 acp to 44 mag...

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

I am not being argumentative here, but I like to know the details of this? You saying the suspect took 18 shots of 38/9mm before staying down. 18 rounds (FMJ or JHP) is, collectively, a lot of wound cavities and, most likely, with significant damage to vital organs. In the single officer scenario; what caliber would have had the knockdown capacity and round count to stop the guy that wasn't already delivered by the first 12 rounds - which were assumedly fired in quick succession? If it was at room distance, should a taser been employed? I have first hand knowledge of a drugged assailant not stopped by a magazine of 9mm that dropped with a solid taser hit.

As I stated above, 357/45 are my two "favorite" rounds, so I assume that we share some common ground...just interested in your solution to a real world scenario.

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I wheel around a 12lb cannon with me generally.

This topic never ends....

In all seriousness though, I recently switched from .40S&W to 9mm because I shoot 9mm better. Have to find out what works for you in gun size, capacity, and how you handle it. No one can tell you these things.

Blindside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    Columbus
    Just the thought of being shot by a .45 takes down most would be assailants.

As was already said you really need to try out as many calibers as you can in as many platforms as you can and make a decision on what works best for you. Also when shooting you will want to take into consideration how you will conceal the firearm if and when you carry it.

Top Bottom