• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    We went to the greenfield gun show today with 2 goals. 1. Sell wife's Charter Arms revolver that she won't carry and my Mosin Nagant.
    2. Get her hands on as many different light revolvers and the Glock 42 and 43 to see what she would like to shoot.

She liked shooting her revolver that she had but it was all steel and heavy so she wouldn't even entertain the idea of carrying it. Since she mentioned wanting to start shooting more and preparing to start carrying in the future, I figured now was as good of a time as any to start looking for a gun that she may actually carry.

We started off looking at the lower end smith and wesson's. Not impressed with their triggers in DAO at all. Not even a little bit. They were so bad that even she noticed. That says a lot. Then she saw the LCR with a polymer frame and the copper cylinder. She liked it. Once she tried the trigger pull, it was settled on. She didn't want to test fire it. She wanted to buy it. So, we sold both guns, tried to wheel and deal with the fella at the gun show. He wouldn't budge so we ran over to Highsmith in greenfield and they had one. They were a little higher in price but he matched the show price for us. We picked it up, brought it home, and tried it out. Overall, nice gun. Smooth trigger. She likes it. As I told her would be the case,it has a little more recoil than she would like but it is definitely manageable. She only shot 5 rounds but hit 4 times and the 5th only missed by an inch or so at 5-7 yards.

Loading it up for the first time.

Blindside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    Columbus
    Sorry in advance for being critical but does she lean back like that when she shoots? That can really have an impact on recoil management. My wife used to do the same thing and improved shot placement slot when I got her to lean into it.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    No worries. She did today. When she saw the picture, she was mad that she was leaning back. She is working on it. She isn't fond of criticism, no matter how constructive it is. Today was about getting to try out her new gun and enjoying it even though it was bitter cold and windy. All things will be worked on in the future, just not today.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Love my LCR. It was the first gun I ever purchased. I have several Smith J-frames, but the LCR is the most comfortable shooter. I'd get rid of my Chief's Special (!!!) before I'd get rid of my LCR.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Yeah, she saw it and her eyes lit up. I had her compare triggers side by side and she said the LCR was a lot better. I called her bluff. Then lost. Haha. I can't wait to shoot it a bit more. That and get some boolits so I can make her some rounds of her own. :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Recoil is largely a function of cartridge selection. Try some 148gr wadcutters. They will shoot point of aim, are reasonable for self defense, and have light recoil compared to HP ammo, which needs more velocity to do it's thing. Sounds like you reload, so they are also a cheap and easy way to practice. Buy some match grade for carry (which folks inside the industry say gets the same or better QC as self defense ammo) and call it a day.

If she does practice to the point she's less concerned about recoil, and to a point that's reliant on proper grip and technique, 130 gr +P is a nice middle ground.

Top Bottom