• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goneshooting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    I have 2 1971 Colt Pythons was wondering value for possible sale. One has a 4in barrel, is blued is in mint shape original owner said he only shot 6 rounds through it and I believed him 99% condition , no box. The other one has a 6in barrel , is blued and I believe is new with box , box is torn and taped and target that came with gun. Looked on Gun Broker but I think those prices are a little high. What say you ? Sorry no pics right now.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Very high, north of 2K for sure. Watch GB for a NR auction and follow it, people are asking the moon for Pythons on GB but they aren't selling. The No Reserve auction that actually plays out is the real value.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    gun broker must be taken with a grain of salt, to get a true gun broker cost, you have to register, and look at completed auctions, see what the gun really sells for, and also look and see if the same gun is listed multiple times and not sold!

I could put a hi point on gun broker for 1000.00 dollars, and keep relisting it over and over, but you and I both know it'll never sell, but I guarantee people will come into the gun shop and say "it's selling for a grand on the internet!"

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Probably not worth $100 a piece....I guess I could bail you out for $250 for both....

Have to echo the above posts. Those guns are super desirable. Assuming your condition is accurate...you are easily $1500 for the 4". To the right collector, the 6" NIB is north of $2k.

Keep in mind though, the market is small for $2500 handguns. It might take some patience and shipping headaches to really get top dollar.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    My biggest gun purchase mistake was in 2006. A guy owed me money and was offering guns in trade. He had a nickel plated python in box with the yellowish tissue paper still wrapped around the beauty. He said trade for $750 off of what he owed. I passed. Went back two years later and tried to buy and he decided he'd keep it. Kick myself in the A$$ weekly on that deal.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I watched Pythons on GB for a few months. I was looking for a 6" barrel. I wanted something it good condition, but something that I wouldn't feel guilty shooting from time to time. Everything decent is SELLING for $2500 to $3500. If it's unfired with the box, they are going for over $4k. I couldn't justify it, but they are selling in that range...

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I've been watching this thread with interest. What Indynic said for sure. The over riding factor in Python values is condition. People aren't selling their shooter grade Pythons. The ones on GB are safe queens plus. It sounds like OPs Pythons fall into that category. As an aside, if anyone is contemplating a Python purchase. Be very careful. I'm starting to see obvious re-finish pistols. (Not Colt refinish either) Also seeing loose barrels. Value can change dramatically depending on barrel length. Bottom line, to maximize the price of OPs Pythons I would probably look into an auction sale. Be careful who you contract with to sell and ship through. Good luck. I wish I had your "problem".

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    The snake guns have been going up in value fast over the last 5 years or so. Just went through some research on one of mine that hasn't left the safe for a while. Was really surprised.

Do you have to sell them? Maybe see what happens over the next few years.

goneshooting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Well I thought about and I decided to keep them, I have another project going on and thought about selling them to speed project up, but I just cant do it, project can just take a little longer. I love showing people the new in box one and seeing the look on there face. Will try and get some pics one of these days.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Oh come on lets see some photos! here is a couple of mine in case someone doesn't know what they look like. I purchased both of these back when every table at the local gun show had one on them, they were priced between $450- $600.
    colt005.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I'll play...
    Never fired. 6" barrel. Manufactured in 1963.
    (Gift from my father. I can't afford this stuff! :))

2i7tf1z.jpg

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know a guy who has a huge collection of them... Love them! I've shot a 6" 357, and I can see why they are so popular. Beautiful guns guys. I love seeing the pictures.

Top Bottom