Comparing 357 revolvers.....any input appreciated.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randy 902

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2017
    Rossville
    Have not owned a wheel gun since my brain fart several years ago when i sold a Rugar GP100 357 with 4" barrel. now i would like another one and was thinking 6" barrel and maybe stainless??? I have been looking at Rugar, Smith & Wesson, and Taurus so far. trying to decide whats fair pricing and what is the better choice? thanks for the feed back.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'm a wheelgun convert.
    Cant go wrong with a Ruger or Smith. *IF* there is something not right with the (new?) gun, they will take care of you.
    Gp100, gp100 match champ, s&w 686, 686+, new model 66 will be the most common, easy to find, new production revos.
    Why 6"? (Insert "that's what she said" joke here)
    A 4" or the oddball 5" will do just about everything you could need from a 357 magnum. I've always thought that 6" was too front heavy, but that's just me.
    I cant comment on Taurus, but i don't have the typical negative opinion as a default (seems like many do).
    For the money, i feel MORE comfortable knowing that ruger and s&w are top notch and can be had for $550-750 depending on model and options.
    The s&w 686+ gets u 7 rounds in the same size gun, which is nice.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    I bought a 6 inch S&W 586 (blued with wood grips) in the fall. I knew I wanted a 4 or 6 inch revolver with wood grips. You can find stainless with rubber grips very easily.

At first I noticed the Ruger GP100s, I really liked the match champion. However I eventually decided that for my first gun purchase I wanted a SMITH AND WESSON. Ruger makes good stuff too, but S&W is just an iconic name. Rugers look a little more square and unrefined if you ask me.

After several gun shows and shops I found exactly what I wanted. Slept on it, went back and bought it. 775 after tax out the door for a Smith. Could have probably saved a few bucks by choosing a Ruger.

ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    Do not go with a Taurus 66. My 66 failed in the first 10 rounds. The cylinder lock broke, and I will not put full .357 loads in that revolver again. (Commercial rounds). Taurus repaired it promptly, and covered all costs, but it is not built for full power loads. .38's only.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Any reason to not go used and maybe look at the Ruger Six line? They're the predecessor of the GP series, and personally, I like how they feel more than the GP

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have a 3 inch GP 100 and a 4 inch model 19–5. Both are great, but I like shooting the S&W more

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I've owned a nickel 586 and 2 security sixes- superb guns all. I am apparently too crude and unrefined to appreciate The great trigger pull advantage attributed to the S&W.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Hello Randy! Former Hornet here, welcome to the forum!

Sort of like Tony said above, I'm also a fairly recent wheel gun convert. I've had a couple Rugers (Match Champion, SP-101 3"), and they were great. I still appreciate their modular design, and how you can strip one down to the bare frame for a thorough wash & wax in not much more than a few minutes.

That said, every wheel gun I have now is a Smith & Wesson. Something about their triggers feels smooth and linear to me, and I think a lot of it with the K and L frame models is due to the leaf-style main spring vs. the Ruger's coil main spring. And they are all plenty, plenty accurate. I carry a 640-3 snubby daily, and have several other examples that are just a hoot to smack steel with. It's hard to say if I have a favorite... I really like my 3" 686+, it has a great balance to it. I also really, really like the NM (New Model) 66 combat in 4.25". I recently acquired a 4" Model 19-5, born in 1987, that is insanely fun, and I bet as accurate now as when it was built. Right now, I'm waiting for the new 2.75" Model 66 to hit the streets. And waiting. And waiting...

IMHO, I think a 4" 686 (or 686+ with the extra round) would be just about the perfect do-it-all revolver. But regardless which way you go, as others have said, both Ruger and Smith do a great job standing behind their products. And personally, I also love it that another enthusiast out there wants to get a revolver. They are timeless pieces of art that are as functional as they are pretty as they are fun to shoot, and shoot well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Any reason to not go used and maybe look at the Ruger Six line? They're the predecessor of the GP series, and personally, I like how they feel more than the GP

Ruger no longer supports them, and parts are getting more scarce. If you intend to shoot it a lot and you break it, it's just broke.

Aftermarket selection is much more limited. If you don't like the factory sights, learn to. There's some options in in grips, but not like the GP.

The GP100's trigger is also better in DA.

On the plus side, they are a little slimmer.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Have not owned a wheel gun since my brain fart several years ago when i sold a Rugar GP100 357 with 4" barrel. now i would like another one and was thinking 6" barrel and maybe stainless??? I have been looking at Rugar, Smith & Wesson, and Taurus so far. trying to decide whats fair pricing and what is the better choice? thanks for the feed back.

How do, neighbor? How's things over in Rossville? Those changes at the Flour Mill threw me for a loop last I was out there.:D

1. We are lucky to live in such an age of choices for what you seek. In dealing with guns, remember, the subjective is objective to you. What you like, I do not and vice versa.

I like Smiths as I like to push forward instead of press down. Each to his own.

Maybe you want some flexibility and want to look at a Dan Wesson M715? My mama told me . . .

2. As you had a 4" GP100 and desire a 6", have you considered the Ruger GP100 Match Champion. More than several members of INGO have one and rave about it. Why not check it out yourself?

3. The Ruger Security/Police Six was a fine weapon. Many of us here at INGO have them and enjoy them very much. I attempted to convince Mike Fifer in person to bring it back. I failed and based on Bill Ruger's guidelines, which are even followed in death by Ruger, it will not come back. If you find one, cool, but when it goes Tango Uniform you will be machining your own parts.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    I had a 4" GP100. That thing was nice, but I didn't have a use for it ultimately and I got rid of it. It was heavy enough to not feel the recoil at all and if it was 3" I would have carried it fo sho.

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    You should shoot several different and stick with the one you like best. S&W or Dan Wesson or Ruger. They will fit your hand different and one will likely feel just right

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    I have both Smith and Ruger. Love both and .357 is my absolute favorite. I have a 6 inch Ruger GP100 that I bought used and added Williams Fire sights. It is one of the best shooting firearms I have ever shot. I carry a 2.5 inch 686 and firmly believe one is not better than the other. Get a used GP and spend the leftover on a press and start down the reloading path. Nothing but fun!!!!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel

S&W 686 with 6" barrel and wood grips will do anything you want to do with a .357/.38. If you want something even more traditional, blued and wood, go with a S&W 586 with a 6" barrel. Either way you end up in wheelgun happiness.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion

Ruger no longer supports them, and parts are getting more scarce. If you intend to shoot it a lot and you break it, it's just broke.

Aftermarket selection is much more limited. If you don't like the factory sights, learn to. There's some options in in grips, but not like the GP.

The GP100's trigger is also better in DA.

On the plus side, they are a little slimmer.

Good points. I guess it comes down to what fits your hand. I'm sure I could find a GP100 grip that feels good to me, but the Service Six I have is hard to beat. You do bring up a good point on the parts, one I hadn't really considered. I don't shoot my Six a whole lot.

Top Bottom