• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaigar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Ft. Wayne
    So I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a lower-priced 9mm recently, as I have a handful of friends who have expressed interest in me teaching them how to shoot and all that fun stuff. Came across the Canik TP9 a while back, and I really liked the way it felt in hand, but I haven't had a chance to actually fire one. Anyone have any information on them, or other recommendations in that same general price range?

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I have one and like it. It has a nice crisp trigger with a very short reset. It's a real sleeper for the money.
    Dan

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I bought a TP9SF Elite (Canik's latest model and first compact striker) and I am impressed with it. Its well made and reliable. Its slightly smaller and lighter than the TP9 SF. Youtube is full of people bad mouthing the Elite over weak ejection. I haven't had a single problem in the first 500 rounds using Freedom Munitions 115 grain that is generally considered underpowered. I was willing to take a risk on a gun that cost a whopping $381 and I am completely satisfied. Nice sights and a very smooth trigger, similar to the Walther PPQ. I also have a Tri-Star T-120, one of Canik's CZ copies, that was $383 and has had 2 ejection problems in 2000 rounds. I think Canik makes pretty good guns. I don't buy guns with any plan to sell so I don't care that they won't have any resale value (like a sub $400 gun is going to have resale value no matter who makes it).

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    It's a good gun, period.
    (none of that "for the price" stuff here - It's just a good gun)
    It's as good or better than most Turkish import handguns.
    It does not as much aftermarket support yet. I would rather purchase it than a Taurus, and if you don't want a Glock, S&W, Sig, etc.

I notice that you mentioned "lower price" in the OP, and it would fit the bill very well (other options are police trade-ins, or hi-point.... so yeah, get the Canik!!)

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Which model did you find? There are at least 4 distinct models, of which the newest 3 all use the same magazine. The original TP9 uses a different magazine than the TP9SA, TP9V2 and TP9SF. Personally, I have an original TP9 and love the thing. The trigger mechanism is very, very similar to the P99 AS trigger.

TheMachine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Theres a deal going on now for the TP9 SF for $285, only comes with 10-round mags though, you can get 18 round mags for it.

I'm trying to decide on whether to jump on that deal or wait for one with 18rnd mags to be $285, that's about the best price I've seen so far.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    So I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a lower-priced 9mm recently, as I have a handful of friends who have expressed interest in me teaching them how to shoot and all that fun stuff. Came across the Canik TP9 a while back, and I really liked the way it felt in hand, but I haven't had a chance to actually fire one. Anyone have any information on them, or other recommendations in that same general price range?
    A co-worker has one that is FDE, and he loves it. I have not shot it, but he has ran around 400 rounds through his, without malfunctions of any kind. I picked up one of these today for 339 + tax, at one of the local gun stores...NIB.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've also heard very good things about the TP(, but haven't had a chance to personally shoot one yet. Id also take a look at the EAA Witness line of polymer pistols. Their ki9nd of a CZ copy but they are very well put together as the Tangfoglio factory in Italy makes them. I have one of the Witness P-S models in 9mm and its an awesome pistol for less than $300 out the door.

TheMachine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    Indianapolis
    **** for the price of shipping plus transfer fee I might be driving to Mishawaka tomorrow.

Also rugertoter that's the wrong picture. I'm also looking out for a shield as well, so it's close at least...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I picked up a TP9 at "BIG R" the tax put it over $250.
    It was a complete kit. 3 mags, cleaning tool, lock, and somethings.
    It shot great for 2 to 3 mags. then the trigger safety started to lock up.
    I called in and received a shipping label.
    When returned. Smooth firing through 10 mags.
    very good handling and grouping.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Tp9 V2 at + 2000 rounds and going strong. I don't know that you can beat them for the money at $250 to $280. I wouldn't mind picking up the SF version too. You can find mags made for them (Prepper Gun Shop). I know you can modify 40cal M96 mags as well and pack in 20 rounds. Safariland GLS "compact" holsters work if you don't like the stock one. I think glock G19 holsters work too but haven't tried them. Sights can be changed but check with Century because the Tp9, V2 and SF aren't the same up top.

Kaigar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Ft. Wayne
    I appreciate all the input from everyone. I think I'm gonna go ahead and pick up one of the SF models here in the next couple days.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I appreciate all the input from everyone. I think I'm gonna go ahead and pick up one of the SF models here in the next couple days.

You will like it for sure.. I like the Canik pistols. As Tony said up thread I hate using the phrase "for the money" I personally think they are just a good pistol. I recommend them to all of my friends who are looking for a pistol. Most of them don't want to spend a bunch of money because they aren't huge into guns and so the price really appeals to them. They are on par with some stuff that is several hundred dollars more in my opinion.

AmosMoses

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I've had my TP9SF for a few months and it's been fantastic. It's surprising how well it shoots for the price. Pretty easy to aim and shoot. Plus you get a Blackhawk! style holster, hard case, and all kinds of stuff. I saw a black one for sale at Highsmiths this morning in Greenfield. The 18 round Mec-gar mags are pretty nice too, and the 20 rounders aren't too expensive.

20170107_165034.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom