• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hard to see a company with that much rich history on the skids, but you're right, bad management can destroy anything in short order. I have to fill my glass tonight and toast the good old days.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    It will go through the courts and somebody will buy the brand and restart it.
    Again, right? I don't think this is the first time they've gone through a reorg in recent years. Didn't they just reorg in late 2015, or even as recently as last year?

I could never get into the idea or nostalgia of owning an older Colt, and a newer model never appealed to me because of the way the company has been torn apart. Would buying a brand-new Colt today be a collector's item, or a paperweight with no warranty?

There's a UK shooting enthusiast in the comments section that pretty much nails it from an outsider's point of view. To be fair, if you're not part of a military contract, perhaps most all of us are outsiders.

I suspect there are other manufacturers in the market who, due to the change on the political front, don't have nearly the product demand they had in recent terms. Smaller players will fall by the wayside, I think (Olympic Arms has already folded up, IIRC?). I'm seeing all kinds of daily deals on brand-new factory-built AR's that are very, very competitive. Even our own Classifieds section here on INGO seems to be soft across the board, especially with no implied panic urging sales.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

mstagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Again, right? I don't think this is the first time they've gone through a reorg in recent years.

I could never get into the idea or nostalgia of owning an older Colt, and a newer model never appealed to me because of the way the company has been torn apart. Would buying a brand-new Colt today be a collector's item, or a paperweight with no warranty?

There's a UK shooting enthusiast in the comments section that pretty much nails it from an outsider's point of view.

I suspect there are other manufacturers in the market now who, due to the change on the political front, don't have nearly the product demand they have had in recent terms. Smaller players will fall by the wayside, I think (as Olympic Arms has folded up already, right?). Even our own Classifieds section here on INGO seems to be soft across the board, especially with no panic urging sales.

Just my 2 cents.
    I would imagine that owning a colt from before the re-org would be valuable. Not massively so, but the company did provide arms to the military for many, many years. They have a lot of historical significance.

Top Bottom