• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I picked up a PPQ M2 9mm last Saturday. Sadly, the time wasn't available to stay and shoot at the range that day. I did get to go last night though. Wow! This is fantastic! I knew from handling it that it fit my hand well and was very comfortable to hold, but it's also very easy to shoot. This fact probably isn't a surprise to many of you, but it was for me. Previous to the PPQ, my pistol experience consisted of a few hundred rounds through my SR22, 50 rounds in a Glock something (I've forgotten which model, double stack, 9mm) and one magazine in a 1911 .45.

The first noticable aspect was quality difference you can feel between the PPQ and SR22. I know it's not a fair comparison, but it's all I really have to base things on so it is what it is. I had never noticed that the SR22 has some rattles. Things the mag releases move around a bit and the mag itself isn't quite as secure. None of which make the SR22 bad, I still enjoy it but just observations I had never noticed before.

The shooting experience is light years different though. I've never minded the DS/SA aspect of my SR22, but I can't I really liked it. I can say now that I prefer the smooth, repeatable action on the PPQ. That may change as the collection grows though. The trigger on the PPQ is incredibly light as well and will take some getting used to. There a few time that the short pull and light weight of the trigger caught me and I fired twice instead of once.

Overall, I'm quite smitten with this one. The SR22 is fun to shoot but it didn't make me want to go to the range just to use it. I'm itching to get the PPQ back out and play again. That urge is aided by the fact that I had one my best days on the range with the PPQ right out of the box.
    View attachment 53507

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Really good choice! I had a PPQ M1 (with the paddle-style mag release), and LOVED it. I installed a Dawson Precision FO front sight on it, which was a very nice improvement over the stock front sight, and SUPER easy to install. If you can handle the short reset on the trigger, it's a fantastic gun IMO. It's also very easy to do the occasional striker channel cleaning by removing the rear dust cover from the slide. Fun to shoot, very accurate, feels good in the hand, and easy to maintain.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've run just the one box of 50 through it so far, but I'm quite pleased with my purchase. I had read as many reviews as I could find and knew going in that the trigger was light and short, but experience is different than reading. I had more issues towards the first half of the box than the second half. Learning where the trigger breaks at and how little effort gets it there was fun though.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I recently bought a PPQ M2 from an INGO member and I agree with what you said. The PPQ is a great shooter and alot of fun. It feels like a quality gun. Mine has the stock sights and I may replace them.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I find it amusing that everyone is raving about the triggers on the PPQ series for the last 6 months like its a new thing.

Walther has been making poly pistols with fantastic triggers since the 90's. The P99AS is striker fired, with a pseudo DA / SA action, and it had a better trigger than virtually every conventional DA/SA hammer fired gun ... Not that anyone would know, since the paddle type magazine catch sent 99% of the American public running for the hills.

Now that Walther has abandoned one of the things that made the original P99 so unique and amazing (smart move ... the gun community here is so xenophobic they just wont buy anything that looks TOO different, no matter how excellent it may be) and genericized it with a push button catch and trigger dingus everyone is raving on YouBube and tripping over themselves to get one.

Not trying to hate on the PPQ - Its a fantastic pistol. The whole series has been excellent for 20 years. It just BOGGLES my mind the sorts of things that will get gun people to buy a gun or scare them away; this line of pistols should be a case study for anyone who is interested in how to market a pistol in America.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I find it amusing that everyone is raving about the triggers on the PPQ series for the last 6 months like its a new thing.

Walther has been making poly pistols with fantastic triggers since the 90's. The P99AS is striker fired, with a pseudo DA / SA action, and it had a better trigger than virtually every conventional DA/SA hammer fired gun ... Not that anyone would know, since the paddle type magazine catch sent 99% of the American public running for the hills.

Now that Walther has abandoned one of the things that made the original P99 so unique and amazing (smart move ... the gun community here is so xenophobic they just wont buy anything that looks TOO different, no matter how excellent it may be) and genericized it with a push button catch and trigger dingus everyone is raving on YouBube and tripping over themselves to get one.

Not trying to hate on the PPQ - Its a fantastic pistol. The whole series has been excellent for 20 years. It just BOGGLES my mind the sorts of things that will get gun people to buy a gun or scare them away; this line of pistols should be a case study for anyone who is interested in how to market a pistol in America.

:runaway: Paddle magazine release.

People Le seem to forget the P99 has been around for 20 years. It was one of if not the original striker fired gun to focus on ergonomics such as replaceable back straps. Walther triggers have always been good. The Walther PPS was one of the original single stack 9s. Fast forward to the PPQ and PPS M2. These are not new guns but rather the evolution of successful and reliable designs.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My raving is coming from age and experience levels, or a lack thereof may be a better description. :)

For myself I didn't shoot a pistol until I bought my SR22 at 23. I got into guns from my friends as it wasn't something my parents had any interest in. My dad just shakes his head when I tell him I bought another one. lol

My fiancé picked up a PPS M2 when I got the PPQ, I've not shot it yet, but I haven't found a comfortable way to hold it yet so I'm not chomping at the bit to try it. I'd love to try some of the older models of the opportunity presented itself. I don't understand why the paddles were such a big deal, but I haven't tried them either. Is it just a bias issue built in from using the push button style for people?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My raving is coming from age and experience levels, or a lack thereof may be a better description. :)

For myself I didn't shoot a pistol until I bought my SR22 at 23. I got into guns from my friends as it wasn't something my parents had any interest in. My dad just shakes his head when I tell him I bought another one. lol

My fiancé picked up a PPS M2 when I got the PPQ, I've not shot it yet, but I haven't found a comfortable way to hold it yet so I'm not chomping at the bit to try it. I'd love to try some of the older models of the opportunity presented itself. I don't understand why the paddles were such a big deal, but I haven't tried them either. Is it just a bias issue built in from using the push button style for people?

Pretty much yeah. Truth is I don't swap mags with the paddle release nearly as fast as with a button. But I do like the paddle on my PPS classic because I carry it IWB with a tucked in shirt and I don't have to worry about inadvertantly kicking out the magazine. Yes I give up reloading speed but let's be honest, how fast can I reload a subcompact gun with the spare mag hidden away in my pocket?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I just wish they would be consistent. Walther should either sticknwith the paddle or stick with a button. I really wish my ccp had the paddle, i think its a neat little feature

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I don't understand why the paddles were such a big deal, but I haven't tried them either. Is it just a bias issue built in from using the push button style for people?
    Honestly, I love the paddle-style release, and when I got my PPQ, I specifically sought after an M1 vs. an M2. I'm not a southpaw, but I do appreciate how it makes the gun immediately ambidextrous. I'd say that I too swap mags faster with a button vs. the paddle, but I dunno... I kind of preferred the aesthetics of the paddle, it gives the port side of the gun a nice and clean look. With a little practice, I don't think the paddle release would really slow me down that much.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I think the PPQ is probably the best striker fired polymer handgun. The trigger, ergos and accuracy are all top notch. I still occasionally miss the one I sold, but I'm not into poly guns any more. Prefer my heavy metal Sigs, CZ's and 1911's.

I think the paddle style release is great for people with hands that work well with them. I have relatively small hands and the paddle style release was just awkward for me. Tried the PPQ M1 and a HK VP9 and never got comfortable with either. Button style mag release works much better for me and I don't need to re-train myself on something that would only be useful for one gun in my collection. For people who love the paddle style, good one ya. At least you have options... ;)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Woobie has a well worn PPQ, so I'm sure he can talk to you quite a bit about it.
    I've actually held it in my hand, and Walther really did it right with this design.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    I have the 9 and 40 in the M1 and the 45 in the M2 with the button. I love all three. What makes it nice if you close your eyes and grab on or the other you can't tell the difference. All shoot very well you can ring steel at 100 yd. with the 45 the only one I don't have is the PPQ in the 5 inch.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wish Walther had made the M2 mag release smaller, shorter, harder to press, and farther forward on the frame. I get the idea of more people being able to reach it without shifting their grip, but I can't shoot them with two hands with dropping the mag in recoil. When I want to drop the mag, I still have to shift the gun anyway.

Top Bottom