• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    I am looking at these two pistols as the next step up for my son, he's been using 22s only so far. I would like to get the input from INGO're on which would be the best one to advance his shooting education. NOTE, the pistol will be my property, no "straw man" purchase questions. He can grip both equally well, but I have no experience with either of these handguns. I would like input from INGO'ers with actual experience with each pistol.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Trigger might be a bit better in the Ruger but both are OK for price. I'm guessing he is looking at primarily plinking use?

Personally, I would consider an SW M&P for not a lot of more money. There are some good prices on the 1.0 model right now with the 2.0 just coming out or take a look at the classified ads, as example - https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...s/432842-cz-p-07-9mm-gen-2-lnib-ftf-indy.html or

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...cealment-extra-mags-apex-dcaek-installed.html

Spend $400 to $500 on a lightly used pistol might get you better quality.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've shot a few of the SD9 pistols and they shoot well, but the trigger is a little less than desirable. The Ruger American pistol I'm just not a fan of, the one I shot didn't feel that good to me and has some feeding issues.. If you want a S&W just spend another $150 and get a used M&P9 or get a used Gen3 Glock 19 or 17 you'll have a lot more gun for the money and retain some of the purchase value if you ever decide to move it later on.....

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Personally, I would consider an SW M&P for not a lot of more money. There are some good prices on the 1.0 model right now with the 2.0 just coming out or take a look at the classified ads, as example - https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...s/432842-cz-p-07-9mm-gen-2-lnib-ftf-indy.html or

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...cealment-extra-mags-apex-dcaek-installed.html

Spend $400 to $500 on a lightly used pistol might get you better quality.
    ^^^ This x100. If you absolutely have to get a plastic gun at least get a good one.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I have a RAP and have not had a single problem with it. I had a SD9VE and had nothing but problems. It was finicky on ammo, on which mag it would feed from and the trigger wasn't the best.
    If you have to choose between these two I highly suggest the Ruger. I buy guns to shoot. This is one of the few that I shot and most immediately sold. (I did tell the buyer all the problems I had with it and I sold it at a loss.) As others have said though there is a case for buying a used one.

Is there a reason it has to be between these two guns? How old is your son? How long has he been shooting? What guns has he shot? These answers might offer a better recommendation for a new pistol.

Dan

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    My son is 16. Rural king had the RAP 9mm for $309. They have since corrected that price much higher. I wanted to get something inexpensive, and let him have at it. He's good on 22s, he likes my edc XD-S 9mm. I want to a large pistol for range use for him. ( we have a 50 yd range in our backyard.) Also something we can modify to personalize just for him. He will get an education doing this!

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    If keeping the cost around $300 is the priority you might look at the Ruger 9E (sometimes available at $289), the SAR B6P or the EAA Witness at $250. All 3 are decent for low priced guns. I have a 9E that had some break in issues for the first 300 rounds but didn't require sending to Ruger. But you do assume a certain level of risk when buying low cost guns. Ruger customer service is much better than EAA's.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I understand having a budget but in this case I'd suggest saving longer or just investing a little more now. A Glock 17 would be a great pistol in so many ways for your son. A lot of new shooters gain fairly good proficiency quickly with a striker fired gun like the Glock. M&P is fine too.

Also keep in mind that if he changes his mind and decides he wants something else or doesn't want to take up shooting, it is much easier to get some decent money out of a Smith or a Glock. Plus you will probably find a buyer faster.

And, not sure what you meant by the "straw purchase" but it is perfectly legal to buy your son a firearm as long as he is legally allowed to own one.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    My son is 16. Rural king had the RAP 9mm for $309. They have since corrected that price much higher. I wanted to get something inexpensive, and let him have at it. He's good on 22s, he likes my edc XD-S 9mm. I want to a large pistol for range use for him. ( we have a 50 yd range in our backyard.) Also something we can modify to personalize just for him. He will get an education doing this!

I was wondering why the choice between the two and the price point you gave makes sense. However as you now know the Ruger is by far a much more expensive gun. Since he already has access to your XD-S it makes sense to get a different range gun for him. (Which is perfectly legal for him to own and shoot. Unless he is formally restricted from possessing a firearm.) Sadly it's a shame you didn't jump on the RAP at $309. I would've even though I already own one. Someone else mentioned the Ruger 9E and EAA Witness. I also have one of each of them and they are also very nice guns. The only issue I've had with either of them is with the mags on the Witness. You have to make sure the rounds are fully to the rear or it can cause feeding problems. If I tap it on the edge of the table every 5 or so rounds it works perfectly. This was with 124gr FMJ's if that makes a difference.
    How soon are you looking to buy one? Is your budget max'd at $300 plus uncle Sam?
    Dan

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    I believe I'll save up a little more, a try for a better pistol. M&P 2.0, Glock, or possibly XD-M. CZ75 possibly. I'll watch and see what's out there. Thank you for the advice!:ingo:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

If he likes your XDs, just get the 4" model. With the 9 rd mag, it's a full size single stack.

DCowboysCR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Greenwood
    For the price you really can't go wrong with either. Both great companies that have good warranties and stand behind their guns. If it was me I'd lean toward the Ruger.

csprig9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    I'd go with Ruger, looks better and shoots great, no issues to date knock on wood. I love mine. Of course that's my personal opinion, mainly need to go out and hold both and shoot if possible to get best idea. Everybody is different, you may not like either and go another route

Last edited:
    Top Bottom