• Better addition?

• Total voters

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I already have a G19 with no plans to part with anytime soon which I use for EDC as well as IDPA (currently being my largest platform next to my 26).
    That said, I still have that same itch to get a 17 as I did when I ultimately chose the 19. Though if I elected to get a larger Glock 9mm, I might also elect to go all the way by getting a 34 (particularly for IDPA). So there are two questions here that overlap a bit...
    Capacity is a non-issue because I've already got some G17/34 mags that the 19 will obviously use. That being said...

Comparatively, are the 19 and 17 basically the same, or does the 17 bring that much more to the table practically speaking?

I'm looking at the 17 and 34 as potential competition platforms, but also on for EDC duty. The 34 is clearly cut out for competition, which by choice of words, brings me to my one concern.
    The 34's slide cut-out on top towards the front has me wondering, what's reliability like should it be dropped in the sand, dirt, or mud?

In terms of being that closed-system duty platform along with being slightly bigger to compete with the 17 wins on that front.

Or the third, more conservative angle would be that my 19 is sufficient for all fronts, and that even a 34 would only offer marginal competitive enhancement(?)

Hope that all makes sense. Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm looking at the 17 and 34 as potential competition platforms,
    Or the third, more conservative angle would be that my 19 is sufficient for all fronts, and that even a 34 would only offer marginal competitive enhancement(?)

Addressing the competition aspects only....

I shoot a 34 in uspsa production division, and a 35 in limited. if I were doing it over again I'd have gone with a 17 and a 22. The added sight radius doesn't really gain anything, I put a 17/22 slide release on as the extended interferes with my high grip. So I pd more to then turn it back into the more basic gun. I do use the extended mag release on the gen 3, but that's dirt cheap to add to a 17. No reason to pay the premium or have to work harder to find one available.

I've also competed with my 19 on a few occasions, incl a state match or two. It doesn't give up much, but I do loose 5PF on my ammo between the 34 and the 19, and the shorter grip is a little slower to reload. It's worth going full size, IMO.

2c

-rvb

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    34 gen 3 (gen 4 if u must)
    /endthread

Reliability is fine, the cut out makes the slide weigh same (or nearly same) as a 17 slide.
    That lets u use same recoil assembly, etc.
    Frame is exact same as 17.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    /endthread

Reliability is fine, the cut out makes the slide weigh same (or nearly same) as a 17 slide.

I assumed as much, since they both use the same frame and recoil spring. But that still leaves the question of reliability if dirt/sand/mud were to be dumped in there

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm not changing platforms. Please don't hijack my thread

Lighten up a bit, he's just razzing ya. I personally have 2 G19s and a 34. I'd vote that you get the 34. You already have a 19 and going up to the 17 isn't a substantial difference. Just like someone that shoots the 17 very well and asks if they should get a 34. I'd say no to that cause there's not a substantial difference between the 17 and 34. I actually shoot my 19s a little faster than the 34. For some reason, for me at least, it takes just split second longer to get back on target with the 34. I think because of the slide mass reciprocating back forward causes the front sight to dip on me.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    /endthread

I'm leary of gen3s. maybe they fixed their issues, but I had 3 that were crap for reliability, purchased after the gen 4s came out. my gen 4 35 is the only glock Ive had run out of the box.

And frame is the same between 17 and 34, except for slide and mag releases.

-rvb

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    To add... Unless you already own a 17 or 22, then just go for the 34.

If price and availability are factors, there's nothing wrong with the 17, but i prefer 34 or 35

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The huge difference for me between either the 17 or 34 and the 19 for competition is the reload. With my 19 I was pinching the crap out of my hand almost every time I reloaded (which was a lot last year, shouldn't be as much this year with the new CO capacity rule), with the 17 that isn't a problem. I have carried a 34 before, but I would be lying if I said it concealed as well for me as a 19.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The huge difference for me between either the 17 or 34 and the 19 for competition is the reload. With my 19 I was pinching the crap out of my hand almost every time I reloaded (which was a lot last year, shouldn't be as much this year with the new CO capacity rule), with the 17 that isn't a problem. I have carried a 34 before, but I would be lying if I said it concealed as well for me as a 19.

Fyi, in USPSA production and CO, you could use G17 mags in a 19, even w. The 10-round restrictions. Saves the blood blisters, but still a little slower than a full sized gun.
    -rvb

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    In my opinion the difference between a G19 and a G17 is significant when it comes to the frame, I carry a G19 but had to ad a carry magwell to be able to shoot it without any discomfort. I can shoot a G17 just as good as a G34 and the G34 is harder to conceal, I went with a G34 due to a good deal that I came across but if I had to do it all over again I would go with a G17.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Go with the 34 if your wanting IPSC. As far as reliability and the slide cutouts your fine and I wouldn't read to much tacticool hype. That worry about the 34/35 (or M9) is way overrated. I had a 35 and never had a problem and never heard of anyone else either.

Good luck

Ed B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2015
    Grant Co.
    Started with the G19 and really like it overall, but the more I shoot my G34, it is quickly becoming my favorite. Have only had the 34 a few months so need more range time, but so far I'd definitely pick the G34 over G17.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I also agree, if you haven't got one of the longer slide Glocks already, just go for the 34 and be happy. Ill have another one day to go along side the 17, but if your just looking for this one to serve range duty and course shooting the 34 is the way to IMO.

Top Bottom