Would I benefit from a P226 MK25 if I already carry a P229?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrandonMcKinley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've been everywhere with my EDC choices since I started carrying. Started with a Glock 19 Gen4> Glock 26 Gen4> Glock 43> P320> P239> P229. The last 4 changes have all happened within the last year or so. I carried a 19 for years but I've found a sweet spot in the DA/SA Sigs. Something about them just makes me all warm and fuzzy when I feel a sig on my hip. I am a taller medium framed person around 6'3" and 220lbs and have no issues concealing and carrying the P229 and I love it but do I have anything to gain by switching to a P226 Mk25 other than capacity? Potential 3 round capacity difference. A little barrel length difference. Grip length is about 1/10" difference. I already have the P229 so if that turns out to be a better choice then I am already set, but if the P226 is that much better then I will have to break into my piggy bank. Opinions?

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    The P226 magazines will fit the P229 for the extra capacity. You probably would not notice any benefits in daily carry using the P226 rather than the P229.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've been everywhere with my EDC choices since I started carrying. Started with a Glock 19 Gen4> Glock 26 Gen4> Glock 43> P320> P239> P229. The last 4 changes have all happened within the last year or so. I carried a 19 for years but I've found a sweet spot in the DA/SA Sigs. Something about them just makes me all warm and fuzzy when I feel a sig on my hip. I am a taller medium framed person around 6'3" and 220lbs and have no issues concealing and carrying the P229 and I love it but do I have anything to gain by switching to a P226 Mk25 other than capacity? Potential 3 round capacity difference. A little barrel length difference. Grip length is about 1/10" difference. I already have the P229 so if that turns out to be a better choice then I am already set, but if the P226 is that much better then I will have to break into my piggy bank. Opinions?

MK 25 is my carry and I am about your size but I agree with the previous posters about extended mags. I find no difference in carry for Barrel length but do for grip length. Save your money, you already have a Sig.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I'll go against the grain and say buy a new gun. The answer is always a new gun.Personally i say you deserve it. You should treat yourself.

NuthinDoin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    Central Indiana
    I've been buying guns & then selling guns to buy more guns for some 50 years now....that being said, I want to assure you that I now wish that I would have saved the cash for each new gun, rather than selling off all those other guns THAT I NOW WISH I STILL HAD!!! Selling off one gun to finance the next gun will only breed self contempt and one other thing....(sellers remorse!) But good luck with whatever you do, and, I love that SIG SAUER 226 Legion!!!!!!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Okay thanks folks! I just needed some reassurance before I made an unnecasary impulse buy.

Of course you would benefit! If you bought the P226, you'd have a P226, which you do not already have. Duh.

You really need both. If I were you, I'd shoot a P226 at a rental range or borrow one from a buddy and see how you like it.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I was at the range today with a buddy. I had my box of Glocks and he had his MK25 and 229 Legion. Both of us were shooting Federal Champion 115. After shooting my 17 and 19, he handed me his MK25 and a couple mags. I shot it just as well as my G17, but the difference in felt recoil, going from plastic to metal, was like shooting a .22 pistol.
    The DA pull was a little heavy, but smooth and did not cause me problems, but the SA pull was where the pistol shined. I can really see why Sig guys like them. If you are on the fence about the MK25, I say jump off and get one if you can afford it.

Signess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2016
    Evansville
    I love shooting my MK25 with an SRT trigger and Sig did an action enhancement job..... but I carry a P229 or my 320C. Don't think you can go wrong with either.

Top Bottom