• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joegrz308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2015
    Lake County
    While my normal EDC is a 1911, today I took the Sig P229 to the range. Wow, what a great shooting pistol. While I prefer the 1911's light short trigger, the Sig is almost as good. The first double action pull is longer than the 1911, but very smooth and the single action is light and short. The Sig is also just as accurate as my 1911. My everyday carry will not change however, I will feel properly armed when I carry my Sig.

Anyone else a fan of Sigs?:ar15:

autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    Yes; I learned how to shoot a handgun by shooting bullseye with a 1911. I still think its a great platform. I like a Sig 229 way more than I thought I would. They are definitely great pistols.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yep, mine is my nightstand gun. Have an extended mag for it, so 14+1 rounds of .357 sig and have a nice light/lazer combo on the rail. Love shooting it and have even carried it on occasion.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    It is a classic. I use mine for plinking with the .22 slide, home defense with the .40 upper and a streamlight, and a .357 barrel just for giggles. If I could ever find a 9mm conversion barrel, I'll have the home run!

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I carry a Sig 225 A1. I know I'm an oddball. I like the da/da trigger and SRT for any follow ups at the range. Sigs are reliable, tested and trusted. Yes they are costly but your buying a Sig. I have about 6 Sigs and love every one of them. The Legion is beyond remarkable.

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    Sig P229 is the ultimate carry gun. While a bit heavier than a Crock, it's both more reliable, accurate and gives the shooter much more protection should a KABOOM happen over the Crock. Statistics back up the fact that Sigs KABOOM a lot less than a Crock, and the resale value of a Sig bests a Crock in every way.

How many 20 year Sigs do you find versus a 20 year old Crock?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My first Sig was a P229 in .40. That was several years ago. It has also led to several more Sigs.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Sig P229 is the ultimate carry gun. While a bit heavier than a Crock, it's both more reliable, accurate and gives the shooter much more protection should a KABOOM happen over the Crock. Statistics back up the fact that Sigs KABOOM a lot less than a Crock, and the resale value of a Sig bests a Crock in every way.

How many 20 year Sigs do you find versus a 20 year old Crock?

In regards to the last sentence, I have a 24 year old 228 in my safe. I shoot that thing better than any other gun I've shot.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    My most accurate Sig was a 1990s P220 45ACP. I may have to pick up one those again some day. My current P226 9mm is a really good shooter. The P229 is one I have never had the chance to shoot but no doubt I would be impressed!

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Between a glock and the P229 what would you recommend for someone just getting into "modern" pistols

Depends. Both will be reliable and good guns. Would you carry it everyday? I am a huge SIG guy and own many, but I carry my Glock 19. This is more because the glock is so much lighter when carrying IWB. The 229 would be more enjoyable at the range IMO

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Between a glock and the P229 what would you recommend for someone just getting into "modern" pistols

It really depends on what you want to spend. Sigs are Sigs (except the 320), Glocks are Glocks.
    With Sig you get bells, whistles, good looks, great accuracy, good resale value, awesome quality, and a very high sticker price.
    With Glocks you can get 2 for the price of one Sig, same reliability, good quality and accuracy. It is a tool made to shoot, not sit in a safe.
    The Glock leg and Glock Kabooms are so few and far between it is really negligible and about all of them are shooter or ammo induced in some form. Look on the interwebz and you will find the same thing with every gun out there. Guns are machines built and ran by people so problems will always arise, no matter who made the gun.
    Since the early 90's I have owned pistols from every major manufacturer and a couple of the smaller ones and have sold them all off except for Glocks. I have 11 of them now. Yes they all look alike, no they are not perfect. Replace the sights right off the bat or get one with OEM night sights, do the 25 cent trigger job (all over youtube), buy a bunch of ammo and learn to shoot it. Everything Glock is literally half the price of a Sig, including the resale value. :)
    Do yourself a huge favor, don't settle for what we tell you. Go rent every pistol you can afford to rent. Compare them all to each other. Take notes anout what you like and don't like. Shoot them all with an open mind and no pre-conceived notions. The right pistol for you will rise to the top. If it is a Glock, great. Know you are getting a good pistol for a decent price that won't break your wallet. If it is a Sig, great. Again, know you will be getting a great pistol. You might like Smith and Wesson's better, or CZ, or Beretta, or Kimber, or Walther, or Springfield Armory or EAA, or Canik. Who knows? We are in a great time to be shopping for a handgun. There are more great guns out there than ever before and you owe it to yourself to make the best choice for you, and not us.

indyguy333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2015
    Huntington
    It really depends on what you want to spend. Sigs are Sigs (except the 320), Glocks are Glocks.
    With Sig you get bells, whistles, good looks, great accuracy, good resale value, awesome quality, and a very high sticker price.
    With Glocks you can get 2 for the price of one Sig, same reliability, good quality and accuracy. It is a tool made to shoot, not sit in a safe.
    The Glock leg and Glock Kabooms are so few and far between it is really negligible and about all of them are shooter or ammo induced in some form. Look on the interwebz and you will find the same thing with every gun out there. Guns are machines built and ran by people so problems will always arise, no matter who made the gun.
    Since the early 90's I have owned pistols from every major manufacturer and a couple of the smaller ones and have sold them all off except for Glocks. I have 11 of them now. Yes they all look alike, no they are not perfect. Replace the sights right off the bat or get one with OEM night sights, do the 25 cent trigger job (all over youtube), buy a bunch of ammo and learn to shoot it. Everything Glock is literally half the price of a Sig, including the resale value. :)
    Do yourself a huge favor, don't settle for what we tell you. Go rent every pistol you can afford to rent. Compare them all to each other. Take notes anout what you like and don't like. Shoot them all with an open mind and no pre-conceived notions. The right pistol for you will rise to the top. If it is a Glock, great. Know you are getting a good pistol for a decent price that won't break your wallet. If it is a Sig, great. Again, know you will be getting a great pistol. You might like Smith and Wesson's better, or CZ, or Beretta, or Kimber, or Walther, or Springfield Armory or EAA, or Canik. Who knows? We are in a great time to be shopping for a handgun. There are more great guns out there than ever before and you owe it to yourself to make the best choice for you, and not us.

thanks for the thoughtful reply. Looks I have some work to do. I'm more of a rifle guy, but want a solid, accurate and reliable handgun for carrying.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Very well said!.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    229 is indeed excellent.

But it think it could be better. For one, it feels pretty wide in the hand--maybe that's what makes it such a good shooter? My experience with 229s is limited to 9mm. I loved the Elite Stainless and E2 my BF has. .22lr conversion runs not as reliably.

I have to think that shooting one is way more fun than carrying one.

Maybe that's why they make the 239?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

They are both excellent, not necessarily equally excellent for someone new to "modern" pistols.

Glock is stone-axe simple. But not everyone is comfortable with an always-on gun. As the thread says, triggers do not need fingers to go bang. Sometimes that DA trigger turns out to be a great idea.

And the SA on most DA guns is better (imo) than than almost any striker trigger.

I carry a striker gun (P320) and I like it a lot. But I'm considering moving toward a DA gun because I'm more comfortable carrying a DA gun chambered. I'm finding that I don't like being unable to decock my striker gun. Its greatest strength is also its greatest drawback.

Top Bottom