• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    So I have been toying with the idea of getting a revolver, as we do not have one in the house. My only experience with revolvers was as a kid, shooting Dads S&W 38 special. This gun would primarily be a, just because, this is still 'merica, and I can, purchase. Secondly, I am hoping the Boss will like it, as I think she would have an easier time with a revolver due to her disabilities. I am thinking since my handguns currently are 9mm, go with that for the wheelgun too. Any thoughts and suggestions from members here on this?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    The revolvers that shoot 9mm are a little pricy, but considering 9mm ammo seems to be the cheapest handgun ammo around. It's not a bad idea.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have shot one of the S&W 9mm revolvers. It shot really well and had very easy recoil. Was impressed enough to consider one for games. If you are already committed to 9mm with semi auto pistols, I can see it making good sense to get a revolver in the same cartridge. Since today's offerings of .38 special ammo is so neutered, there really is not advantage to .38spl over a 124 grain 9mm.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The wife has a taurus 905 which is a 9mm revolver. Been reliable to this point( roughly 500 rounds thru) She prefers revolvers so i added Crimson trace, i believe lg385, on it which actually cost the same as the revolver

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    S&W in the 90's had the 940 that was a j frame 9mm that used full moon clips. I had one. I think they have been out of production for a number of years.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Ruger LCR in 9mm is another option.
    With all 9mm revolvers (and .45 acp, 10mm revolvers), you'll have to use moonclips - which are both a blessing and a curse.
    Also, look out for crimp jump with certain brands of ammo.
    Yankee Marshal has a good video about this in the 9mm Ruger LCR (just youtube search "yankee marshal 9mm crimp jump LCR)

redleg16

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Bought a ruger lcr in 9mm for my daughter. Handles standard 115 gr ammo well, hornady self defense ammo was a little harder to control. But overall she is very happy with it. But the moon clips are a pain.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    Thanks for the replies. I have not looked real hard, wanted to get the ar pistol built. I need to start checking some of the shops to see some of the different ones. I know ruger makes one that has a 9mm and 357 cylinder, Chiapaa has one that doesnt require moon clips. I havent really put a lot of thought into getting a revolver, I just think it would be nice to add a wheelgun to the house, in case Dad gives the model 14 to someone else. Iam kinda the blacksheep of the family!:rockwoot:

Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I had a Ruger Blackhawk in 357/9mm. You had to swap cylinders but it didn't need moon clips and was very accurate. I have wanted it back ever since I sold it!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    You could always try and find (and afford) a S&W 547. Doesn't need moon clips and the ejector rod works.

[video=youtube_share;IHd3D1GqNJA]http://youtu.be/IHd3D1GqNJA[/video]

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    One other very good selling point for 9mm with moon clips in a revolver platform is that moon clips are the smallest, most secure, and easiest to use of all speedloaders.
    There's no troublesome knob to fiddle with, no need to wiggle a separate loader to free the cartridges from it when loading, only a quick insertion and closing the cylinder.
    Ejection is even easier, with all empties coming out as a single unit and instantly ready for another rapid reload.
    It affords the quickest unload/reload cycle of any handgun short of the familiar magazine system with an auto pistol.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    I found this one lying around at a gun shop about 8 years ago. I thought it was a model 10 or 13 when I first seen it. The gunshop owner said it was a 9mm and added "Who in the world would want a 9mm revolver". Well I went home with it and it is an absolute joy to shoot.

One thing I have noticed is after about 50 rounds I have to clean the ejector as it gets dirty and makes it hard to reload/seat the cartridges fully into the cylinder. I don't know anything about the more recent offerings other than I'm sure they are also a joy to shoot. This one is a 4" barreled 547 made around 1984.

MP%20547%20091.jpg

MP%20547%20014%20-%20Copy.jpg

MP%20547%20017%20-%20Copy.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    One other very good selling point for 9mm with moon clips in a revolver platform is that moon clips are the smallest, most secure, and easiest to use of all speedloaders.

They are also a failure point. Tweak one slightly and it'll tie up the cylinder. It also prohibits you from topping off the gun, reloads are an all or nothing affair.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I know ruger makes one that has a 9mm and 357 cylinder

I had one - a blued Blackhawk 4 5/8" , a fun gun to shoot. I thought about getting one again but in stainless this time. Like mentioned above by Rong no moon clips were required for the 9 mm cylinder.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I found this one lying around at a gun shop about 8 years ago. I thought it was a model 10 or 13 when I first seen it. The gunshop owner said it was a 9mm and added "Who in the world would want a 9mm revolver". Well I went home with it and it is an absolute joy to shoot.

One thing I have noticed is after about 50 rounds I have to clean the ejector as it gets dirty and makes it hard to reload/seat the cartridges fully into the cylinder. I don't know anything about the more recent offerings other than I'm sure they are also a joy to shoot. This one is a 4" barreled 547 made around 1984.

[...]

What a beauty!
    You've kept that little jewel in excellent condition.
    That bull barrel makes it especially cool.

They are also a failure point. Tweak one slightly and it'll tie up the cylinder. It also prohibits you from topping off the gun, reloads are an all or nothing affair.

This is true.
    It makes sense to use top quality moon clips and to inspect them and discard any that are questionable, especially any intended to be used for serious business.
    Unlike me, you actually own at least one gun, that cool .45 Colt Redhawk, that has moon clip capability, so you're far more experienced with them than experienced novice me.
    It's a bit surprising that none of the ammo companies ever came up with a 9mm Auto-Rim, as they did with the .45 Auto-Rim, for those who want to circumvent the deficiencies of moon clips.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I got the 9mm cylinder conversion for my Chiappa rhino 357.
    I never used moon clips until then.
    I love the action and handling of the Rhinos.
    The moon clips made it ever better.
    I have shot IDPA with 9mm moons.
    You grab a full moon and shove in 6 rounds JUST about as easy as a mag.
    You push the eject. the Moon jumps out just as easy as a mag.
    BEFORE I got the nak of loading 2 two rounds at one time.
    with a loaded moon you do not have to fumble anymore, six round are in.

One thing that is safer with the Rhino.
    When you open the cylinder to the side.
    You can not leave a round in the chamber.
    You can easily inspect the chambers.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom