• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I just recently got a shield and love the way it shoots. It's great for carrying. Now I'm thinking about selling my SA 1911 9MM and getting a M&P 2.0 for the home. I really like the fact that it has a higher capacity mag and if it shoots as good as the shield then I think that I would love it. So I haven't shot a 2.0 yet, but I'm figuring it will be even better since it will fit my hand better. Can anyone who has shot both comment on this?

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I own and have owned just about every variation of the M&P line of pistols. With obvious differences in the grips size, and weight between the M&P m2.0 and the Shield, there will be differences in how they perform in your hand. In any case, they are both superb shooters in their respective gun categories and I highly recommend that you pick of a 2.0 when you can... You will not be disappointed.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Thanks gglass! I appreciate the feedback.
    I also think my title for this thread is a little misleading. Perhaps it should read "Shield and 2.0" instead.
    I used to have a S&W Sigma years ago, and it took time getting used to, but S&W has come a long way since then!

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    My 1911 9mm isn't quirky at all. It shoots very nicely- and I love it! I need to actually shoot the M&P first before I decide. I love the look and the feel of the 1911. It's like a work of art! But I don't want to just keep it for the sake that it's a 1911. If I don't like the way the M&P 2.0 shoot then I'll probably put some night sights on it my current 1911 since currently it's set up with target sights, which work fine, but if my primary use of this gun is for home safety then the target sights aren't the best in low light situations. Of course I do have a laser sight on it, but I don't want to have to make sure it's always on the gun.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My 1911 9mm isn't quirky at all. It shoots very nicely- and I love it! I need to actually shoot the M&P first before I decide. I love the look and the feel of the 1911. It's like a work of art! But I don't want to just keep it for the sake that it's a 1911. If I don't like the way the M&P 2.0 shoot then I'll probably put some night sights on it my current 1911 since currently it's set up with target sights, which work fine, but if my primary use of this gun is for home safety then the target sights aren't the best in low light situations. Of course I do have a laser sight on it, but I don't want to have to make sure it's always on the gun.

If your 1911 shoots straight then leave the sights alone. Adjustable target sights can literally be a pain on carry guns because they stick up and dig into things. Otherwise the adjustable sights are fine for range and HD use. People make way to much out of the whole low light night sight topic. If it bugs you buy some colored sight paint for the front sight or have a tritium or gold b ad installed. A 1911 and subcampact like a Shield is about the perfect handgun combo.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The shield and a full size M&P will feel quite differently in your hand. My full size M&P's feel very similar to my 1911's. I stopped EDCing my shield for a sig P938.

If you are looking for "house gun" take a look at the M&P 45 but the 9 mm is a fine option.

It's really what you like enough to want to train with it. In spite of what people say online, not really any junk in the tried and true brands/models. Even a hi-point will go bang...

....keep the 1911...

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    In spite of what people say online, not really any junk in the tried and true brands/models. Even a hi-point will go bang...

This is true. But even if 99% of pistols work great out of the box no matter the manufacturer, you still need to make sure your particular example is in that vast majority before putting it into service.

As he said, whatever you will train with.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Absolutely! Whatever you are going to depend on, you need to prove it for yourself. This applies to all things that a person depends on, whether it is a gun, a knife, vehicle, etc. What you don't want to do is test something for the first time when you are depending on it.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I just got to try the M&P 9MM 2.0 today at a shooting range. I shot it as well as my shield. It does feel great in the hand. The grip texture is very nice and the fit is very good. The trigger is a lot different from the shield, it was much lighter. It was good, just different. I love the high capacity magazine and it would be so much lighter than my 1911. Actually, the 2.0 would probably be light enough for CC. The size of the 1911 wasn't an issue for CC, but the weight of it was what made me stop using it as my EDC.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I'm now thinking that I'll just keep my 1911 and at some point in the future pick up a 2.0 in addition. This way if I ever want to do competitive shooting then I think the 1911 would be perfect for it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm now thinking that I'll just keep my 1911 and at some point in the future pick up a 2.0 in addition. This way if I ever want to do competitive shooting then I think the 1911 would be perfect for it.

:rockwoot:

Besides that striker fired pistol are gonna get cheap this summer. Time to add to the pile.

Top Bottom