• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    There has been some interest lately in process and cost associated with acquiring and upgrading surplus CZs. Since I am embarking on another journey with a couple of guns I thought I would take you along, at least those who are interested. The top picture is a '93 CZ 75B "Czech Made". The significance of the Czech Made roll mark is that there was a brief period of time between the fall of Czechoslovakia and the beginning of the Czech Republic. So, for model year 1993 only, you can find these unique roll marks. Kinda cool.
    Anyway, the second gun is a '94 CZ 75 transitional pre-B. In the early '90's CZ went from the original pre-B (no firing pin block) models to the current B configuration. This entailed a change in the trigger guard, slide top, front sight configuration, etc. Transitional simply means that it has most of the later B characteristics but does not have a firing pin block.

IMG_0809_zpsycxgpzzp.jpg

IMG_0811_zpsmrtc6jc5.jpg

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    For those keeping a tally I acquired both of these guns from Gunbroker. So prices include shipping and transfer fees. The 75B came in around $370 in hand and the pre-B was about $440. As anyone who buys these or any guns knows the prices can vary by quite a bit. Interest in these guns has risen quite a bit so the prices have also.
    The first step for both of these will be to ensure they are mechanically sound and to test fire them. The we will put them on the trigger gauge and record the findings. More later.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    So, what do you have in mind to do with these, a Cerakote and some tuning?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have a beautiful CZ with a Cerakote that approximates regular hotbath bluing courtesy of AlanM?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Yes, I do. My CZ 85. I have a couple of thoughts in mind but haven't quite decided on these yet. Cerakote is always a good option. I have also considered rust bluing and, possibly, cold case hardening one of the slides. I am kind of torn on the color case hardening as it is pretty expensive and I have heard that the finish might not hold up so well. So, I am trying to get some more information before I plunk down $265 just to have the slide done.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    When doing CCH, the hardened steel can be a few thousandths deep. I think it depends on the quality of the process the gunsmith uses. I would think the color also goes as deep, but I don't know. But a CCH / hot blue combo would look awesome on a CZ. I think I would do the frame in CCH and the slide in blue. And a gold trigger :D

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Yes, I do. My CZ 85. I have a couple of thoughts in mind but haven't quite decided on these yet. Cerakote is always a good option. I have also considered rust bluing and, possibly, cold case hardening one of the slides. I am kind of torn on the color case hardening as it is pretty expensive and I have heard that the finish might not hold up so well. So, I am trying to get some more information before I plunk down $265 just to have the slide done.
    BA, how has that midnight blue cerakote finish held up on the 85? I thought that turned out spectacular, especially with the wood grips. Maybe it doesn't have quite the look/luster of a traditional blued finish (like from S&W's glory days), and it's hard to tell from digital shots vs. seeing it in-person, but I thought the pics you posted after AM's work were beautiful.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    One thing I failed to mention earlier, and probably the most important point. if you are not a thoroughly competent gunsmith, which I'm not, or don't know one, which thankfully I do, this might be something you don't want to dive into.

A couple of things to think about when you get your surplus CZ. One of the first is that it will probably be the dirtiest gun you've ever seen. Get some Gun Scrubber or something like that. The next thing to look at is the extractor. This is a common weak point in older CZS. You may very well have to replace the extractor and spring. When test firing the gun pay attention to how far the brass flies on ejection. It should ideally go 6-8 feet. If it doesn't you probably need to change the recoil spring. Standard for a full size CZ is 16lbs. Check magazines and how they fit. Try different sizes, 16, 18 and 19. If they don't move freely you may have to slightly (I said slightly, Rusty) open up the mag well.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    BA, how has that midnight blue cerakote finish held up on the 85? I thought that turned out spectacular, especially with the wood grips. Maybe it doesn't have quite the look/luster of a traditional blued finish (like from S&W's glory days), and it's hard to tell from digital shots vs. seeing it in-person, but I thought the pics you posted after AM's work were beautiful.

It's held up very well. All of my Cerakoted guns have. The 85 looks black in most lighting conditions but the blue shows through in direct sunlight.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    One thing I failed to mention earlier, and probably the most important point. if you are not a thoroughly competent gunsmith, which I'm not, or don't know one, which thankfully I do, this might be something you don't want to dive into.

A couple of things to think about when you get your surplus CZ. One of the first is that it will probably be the dirtiest gun you've ever seen. Get some Gun Scrubber or something like that. The next thing to look at is the extractor. This is a common weak point in older CZS. You may very well have to replace the extractor and spring. When test firing the gun pay attention to how far the brass flies on ejection. It should ideally go 6-8 feet. If it doesn't you probably need to change the recoil spring. Standard for a full size CZ is 16lbs. Check magazines and how they fit. Try different sizes, 16, 18 and 19. If they don't move freely you may have to slightly (I said slightly, Rusty) open up the mag well.
    Hey I was told it wasn't a big deal to make those mags fit.... I was lied to. That's ok, just means I have a blank canvas now! :mullet:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'm in. I have a pre B 75 from 1986 and an 85 from 2000 I got off Gb. I have done some cajun stuff can't remember all. I know I did the extended firing pin with lighter springs,and cerakoted both. I would love to finish the full cajunizing someday, but will see how your story goes first.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I'm in. I have a pre B 75 from 1986 and an 85 from 2000 I got off Gb. I have done some cajun stuff can't remember all. I know I did the extended firing pin with lighter springs,and cerakoted both. I would love to finish the full cajunizing someday, but will see how your story goes first.
    Do you have a picture of your 85 before you Cerakoted it?

Top Bottom