• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I am selling my SA Compact 1911 to get a new full size that is more capable if I want to dabble in USPSA competition with it. Looking at Springfield Range Officers. Thinking of this one...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ingle+45+ACP+5+7+1+Cocobolo+Grip+Black+Parker

I have no desire for the rail, though...but kind of want the fiber optic front site. I can get basically the same thing for a 100 less if I get the one with more standard sites on it(it doesn't have the rail).

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ingle+45+ACP+5+7+1+Cocobolo+Grip+Black+Parker

Looks like it may be more like 125 difference

Not sure if I should just spend the 100 on it later to upgrade sights and buy the cheaper model or what.

Oh, and with SA's 'Gear Up' promotion. I get a holster, 4 mags, and a mag carrier it appears...

What says the 1911 experts? Any other better 1911s in that price range out there? I am not sure you'll beat the deal anywhere else with the Gear Up promo going on.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you don't want a rail, go with the second and throw a Dawson fiber optic on the front. You'll be all set and still less money than the other. Great choice for a 1911 though. You'll be extremely happy.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'd go with the first one. Not just better front, but better rear sight for speed shooting. You also get front slide serrations which I like (handy to show clear, if nothing else). Dustcover with rail will add a little weight, so that might give you a smidge less wiggle room for uspsa in terms of what else you put on the gun (eg magwells) with the weight limits. But the flip side is you get a little more weight up front which is good. Are the SA mags 7 rounders? You'll want 8 rounders for uspsa.

I have an RO I won at a uspsa match. I've shot it very little, but it's very accurate... under 1" @ 15 yds, standing/unsupported.

uspsa is awesome. do it! :)

-rvb

ps. I don't like adjustable sights on a carry or uspsa gun. Seen to many break or lose pins.

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I have the RO with the adjustable sights like the one in your second link. This 1911 has been one of my all time best handgun purchases! The RO has been totally reliable and the accuracy is extremely good. About the only upgrade I might have performed later is a slightly lighter trigger. Although the trigger is still very manageable as is. Anyway I am one very pleased owner!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I would skip the rail. Sights can be changed.

I just helped a friend get his RO champion running. (OP you have met this guy, we share a work area in the office) I was impressed with the RO. Tight gun, seemed well fit together. I didn't care for the internal lock in the mainspring housing. That would have to go and might as well put on a mag well while you are at it. Factory trigger breaks nice at 4.5 lb after swapping in a 19 lb hammer spring. The extractor needed some tuning but his was a 9mm and those are always tricky, lot easier to get a .45 running.

Plan on picking up some Wilson ETM, Tripp or Chip mags. Those seem to handle 8 rounds easier.

Iroc I have some Clays powder and load data down here if you need some. I don't shoot that much .45 anymore so will take me a while to use it up.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    OP - check out Grab-A-Gun's prices on the Springfields you're noodling. I'm finding their online prices lately are very competitive. This link should take you right to the Springfields in 45:

Semi Automatic Handguns for Sale | Handguns for Sale | Grab A Gun

Thanks for that. That makes the choice easier as the railed one is only a 60 bucks or so more for better sights(it brings the cost delta to within the cost of new sights). While I don't want the rail, I'll go with this one I think.

On a side note, though...now I'm wondering if I really want to open up the can of worms a 45 would entail.(reloading for competition...I reload 9mm in volume now). Need to go look at USPSA rules and see where I really want to 'play'. Might just get a 9mm and pick up a 45 milspec one in the future to give me something to use up my 45 reloads I already have(and never shoot).

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Thanks for that. That makes the choice easier as the railed one is only a 60 bucks or so more for better sights(it brings the cost delta to within the cost of new sights). While I don't want the rail, I'll go with this one I think.

On a side note, though...now I'm wondering if I really want to open up the can of worms a 45 would entail.(reloading for competition...I reload 9mm in volume now). Need to go look at USPSA rules and see where I really want to 'play'. Might just get a 9mm and pick up a 45 milspec one in the future to give me something to use up my 45 reloads I already have(and never shoot).

Feel free to ask any USPSA questions.

9mm is allowable in the USPSA Single Stack division. Guns that make major power factor (eg .45s and .40s) can have eight rounds in the mags. Guns that make minor (eg 9mm, or lighter-loaded bigger rounds) can have 10 rounds in the mags. People who shoot the sport can (and have!) debate for hours about which is better. Some times it comes down to the particular match or stage which is better. You get more points for major power factor if you don't hit the A zone, but you may have more options on how you shoot a stage with 10 rounds in the mag, or you might save a reload, have an extra make-up shot, etc.

9mm is cheaper, so it's got that advantage. But if you're already reloading, the difference isn't huge.

On the other hand, 9s can require more work to get/keep running perfectly, and loaded mags are harder to seat than with a .45. .45s are still, imo, the most reliable 1911s, and a lot of guys near the top are still using .45s (.40 is popular because when things are setup just right, you can do either major or minor with just a recoil spring change).

BTW, Springfield is a big sponsor of uspsa events. Not only are their guns great, but they "give back." They are sponsoring the Indiana Single-Stack/Production State match at the end of next month.

-rvb

Last edited:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I was reading the rules and saw something about light rails on the 1911 not being allowed in single stack division...
    From the Single Stack Division rules...Factory installed light rail attachments if the dust cover is no longer than 3.25 inches measured from the rear of the slide stop pin to the front of the dust cover.

Not sure if that 2nd 45 would work for single stack division or not.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I was reading the rules and saw something about light rails on the 1911 not being allowed in single stack division...
    From the Single Stack Division rules...Factory installed light rail attachments if the dust cover is no longer than 3.25 inches measured from the rear of the slide stop pin to the front of the dust cover.

Not sure if that 2nd 45 would work for single stack division or not.

Light Rail, Weight has to be under 43oz?, No bull or bushingless barrels with 5" guns. I would avoid the rail, save the weight for FLGR or magwell, whatever floats your boat.

I prefer single stack minor. But you know I am a wimpy little guy. Iroc if you want to borrow a 1911 for some matches let me know. With reloads not much price difference in 9mm and .45. I have load data for both. RVB summed up the differences very well.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Light Rail, Weight has to be under 43oz?, No bull or bushingless barrels with 5" guns. I would avoid the rail, save the weight for FLGR or magwell, whatever floats your boat.

I prefer single stack minor. But you know I am a wimpy little guy. Iroc if you want to borrow a 1911 for some matches let me know. With reloads not much price difference in 9mm and .45. I have load data for both. RVB summed up the differences very well.

Thanks Vert. I'm flip flopping between 45 and 9 in my head. Looks like the 9 mm version gives even tighter as its running at 41 oz. The 45s with and without the rail both show 40 oz(guessing it may be difference in weight of sights...possibly the machine the inside out a bit.).

I'll PM if I decide to try a 1911 at the next USPSA match. Hoping to get my brother down for that one in a couple weeks.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Thanks Vert. I'm flip flopping between 45 and 9 in my head. Looks like the 9 mm version gives even tighter as its running at 41 oz. The 45s with and without the rail both show 40 oz(guessing it may be difference in weight of sights...possibly the machine the inside out a bit.).

9mm is usually heavier due to a thicker barrel / smaller inner diameter (bored out for ~.355 vs ~.451). and the spacers in the mags.

I have a hard time imagining the rail adding much weight, but I have no experience with them. My Caspian frame makes weight, and it doesn't have nearly the material removed under the grip panels that the SAI frames do. That seems like a lot more extra metal than the rail adds. I'm still able to use a FLGR and magwell (it's an S&A magwell, and admittedly probably one of the lighter options). and no, my slide hasn't been trimmed in any way, either.

one other downside to the rail might be holster options. again, I have no personal experience with railed 1911s, but could be less holster options?

-rvb

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I have seen you shoot......nothing wimpy in what I saw....:cool:

Top Bottom