• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Thought I would share as this is a first for me and I just happened to have the camera out at the time.

I was cleaning out some 38 special ammo last Sunday and I had a few extra laying around about 80 or so rounds. It was a nice day I decided to shoot them and salvage the casings for future reloading. These were all new factory ammo left over from partial boxes, none over 25 years old. They were a mix of 158g LNR, 158g LHP and 125 SJHP.

Just before the squib round there is a "pop" noise. This is a small stick or other debris hitting the tin roof of our shooting house.

[video=youtube;BIvN-5oyC3E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIvN-5oyC3E[/video]

The bullet came out easily with a brass rod and small hammer, no harm done.
    IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Good for you catching it before squeezing off a second one.
    Speculation here: 1) Ammo that had its powder degrade due to poor storage conditions, or 2) (much more likely) inadequate powder charge.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good catch, while rare I've seen squibs, the last one from a too low charge of 2400.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    I speculate that all the powder did not ignite due as it was compromised in some way. May have occurred in the factory during loading, under loaded or from storage.

Since all the powder did not ignit the brass did not swell to create the needed seal in the cylinder. As a result gas and unburt/burnt powder escaped to the rear.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Wow , you can definitely tell its a squib the video! I'm glad you immediately recognized the problem and the bullet was easy to remove. Thanks for sharing.

mstagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Were these reloads? Im always afraid Ill be mag dumping a 9mm or something and hit a squib round in the middle of it. Would be shooting too fast to notice. BOOM

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Upon consideration, I'm with the guy who believes that there was something wrong with the powder itself somehow degrading instead of an inadequate charge.
    Again, you are to be commended for taking your time shooting and catching that immediately instead of hitting it again.
    "Whoah, baby!" indeed.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Were these reloads? Im always afraid Ill be mag dumping a 9mm or something and hit a squib round in the middle of it. Would be shooting too fast to notice. BOOM

These were all factory loads I had left over from partially fired boxes. I would guess they were no older than 25 years old. Before I started reloading I would buy a box of 38 and half way through shooting the box, if they wouldn't group the way I liked, I would move on to the next brand / bullet weight. A few years back I was needing some more boxes for my reloads and dumped all the partial boxes into a jar that has sat around my reloading bench until Sunday, when I fired them. All I know for sure is it was a factory "R P" Remington cartridge with a semi jacket hollow point bullet, unsure of the bullet weight or exact age.

I have reloaded for about 20 years and have been lucky so far as to never have a squib, reduced and or over charged load. About 10 years ago I stepped up to a progressive press, that made me a little nervous as there was a lot going on all at once, compared to a single stage press. As far a 9mm I seem to reload it the most as of late, due to obtaining an AR 9 a little over a year ago.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Good catch. A lot of bulged barrel have resulted from a follow up shot. Someone who was intent on shooting as fast as possible would have been in for a big surprise!

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    I had my first squib two weeks ago. Also 38 special. The bullet just made it to the end of my colt cobra's 2inch barrel. Strange experience for sure, glad we were both alert enough to check before shooting the next round.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Im not sure a semi auto would cycle properly after a squib
    Some of these lightening fast shooters can clear a jam and continue firing in a New York minute. Personally, I have no interest in mag dumps. I like the satisfaction of hitting what I aim at.

Top Bottom