• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I know this has been discussed at great length, but I intend to get night sights installed on the new Gen 4 Glock 21 I purchased, and seriously don`t want to spend the crazy money that it takes to get Trijicon night sights. Aren`t the Meprolight sights very good night sights as well? I thought I remembered the clerk at Bradis saying that the Meprolight night sights are what Glock installs if from their factory.

What do you experts say?
    [h=1][/h]

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Meprolight is a good quality sight. I have a pair that is 7 years old and still bright. It's all personal and eyeball preference if you're getting something that will last and not break.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm no expert but I can tell you what I think from personal experience.

I have Mepro sights on my 26 and 19 and Trigicon HDs on my 17. After using both types both have ups and downs. I personally think the Mepro sights glow brighter in the dark and have larger dots that make them easier to find. However they are just OK as far as three dot sights go in daylight. The Trigicon HDs are much easier and faster to find in the day and glow brightly enough in the dark to be useful especially if you "charge" the florescent paint around the tritium dot in the front. But the tritium doesn't glow as bright as the Mepro sights. Overall I like the Trigicon HDS better but for decent night sights Mepro work and are much cheaper.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I'm no expert but I can tell you what I think from personal experience.

I have Mepro sights on my 26 and 19 and Trigicon HDs on my 17. After using both types both have ups and downs. I personally think the Mepro sights glow brighter in the dark and have larger dots that make them easier to find. However they are just OK as far as three dot sights go in daylight. The Trigicon HDs are much easier and faster to find in the day and glow brightly enough in the dark to be useful especially if you "charge" the florescent paint around the tritium dot in the front. But the tritium doesn't glow as bright as the Mepro sights. Overall I like the Trigicon HDS better but for decent night sights Mepro work and are much cheaper.

Via personal experience, you are the experts. Thank you for the information!

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I've had Mepros, Trijicons, Ameriglos, & Warren on several Glocks over the years.

The Mepros do seem to glow brighter. The rear notch is more narrow than the rest of them though. There is very little space on the sides of the front sight, it almost fills the rear notch. Personally I like more space. The white ring is under the crystal covering the dot so it will not discolor, but that doesn't let you paint it.

The Trijicons I had were before the HD's were released and were just standard night sights. They didn't glow as bright as the Mepros. The rear notch was a little wider than the Mepros but not by much. I don't remember about the white ring.

The Warrens are cut on the sides of the rear and have a wide notch giving you excellent view downrange while blocking as little as possible. The front blade is narrow. The rings holding the capsule appear to be aluminum instead of the white plastic the others use. It's shows as silver and is much thinner than the plastic. Don't count of being able to see it well in the daylight. They use Trijicon inserts and glow the same. Just a note, I've bought 2 sets of these from 2 different vendors and they were a couple years apart. One set of the Glock, the other for an M&P. Both times the rear and the front had different date codes on them. One set was 2 years apart, the other was one year apart. Both sets came in a package and were new.

The Ameriglos give you an option of a regular notch or a wide notch. They glow about like the trijicons, not quite as bright as the Mepros. You can get any configuration you like, standard white ring, no ring, HD background, etc. The ones I have are standards with a narrow front & a wide rear notch. The thing about these is the white plastic ring that holds the capsule in place is NOT covered by the external lens. With the white ring exposed it has the potential to get dirty and discolor. That also leaves you the option to use a GID or florescent paint and create your oven version of the Trijicon HD sights at a fraction of the cost. I've used both and prefer the florescent to the GID. Several of mine have either orange or yellow paint on them. They show up much better in the daylight than the stock white.

All of them seem to be built well and I've had no problems with any of them. I've worn out a set of Mepros & the Trijicons. They were replaced with Ameriglos.

For a range gun or competition gun I'll always go with the Warrens. For a carry or defensive gun any of the others will work well. I'll continue to use the Ameriglos with a touch of orange on the ring. I've spoken with the guys at Ameriglo several times and they have excellent customer service. Over a dozen of our guns wear Ameriglos.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have had several sets of Mepro's over the years and they are a solid sight. As stated above the rear sight notch is narrow and the front sight is fat, making more precise work during the day more difficult, but not so much you can't use them to hit pop cans and other small targets at the range. I currently have 3 sets with the plan to buy a fourth.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I used Mepros on a SIG 220 20 years ago and they are great sights. I tried Ameriglow on my M&P and Glcoks and they are just as good as the Meprolight was. I also had an agency Sig 228 with Trijicon and quite frankly didn't think they were any better. Trijicon is a nice sight just wasn't any better IMHO

Top Bottom