Glock 19 barrels that actually like 115gr?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So Ive noticed my groups on my G19 are awful. I typically shoot WWB 115gr. Last trip to the range I was barely keeping them in the 9 ring of the B-37 at 10 yds, even supported slow fire. I tried some other brands in the same weight and got the same result.

Went out to my buddy's new place today and tried out some other flavors on his range.

-On my barrel and his barrel, neither grouped well with the 115s. (5-6" and 4-5" respectively)
    -124s and 147s were better (3" with fliers) .
    -His factory barrel was noticeably more accurate than mine, but were still pretty awful.
    -His LW barrel tolerated the 115s, and also preferred the 124s. But that aftermarket barrel did group at about half the size of my barrel using 115s.

So any suggestions? I would prefer to keep shooting the WWB because its easy to get, but could be convinced to step up as I can find 124s here and there for not much more, but its a PITA.

I'm not shooting bullseye, but would like decent groupings in my IDPA matches. I'd be happy with 3-4" groups.

Any suggestions for NON THREADED aftermarket barrels that wont break the bank? Other than a good scrubbing to remove any possible fouling, any other suggestions? I'm not looking for tight groups, just reasonable ones.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I'm not a fan of WWB ammo, but you say you tried others. My recommendation would be to put the gun in a vice and try it out. The 19 isn't made for shooting groups, but at ten yards, I would lean more to blaming the shooter than the ammo. Just my two cents, which has no cash value.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm not a fan of WWB ammo, but you say you tried others. My recommendation would be to put the gun in a vice and try it out. The 19 isn't made for shooting groups, but at ten yards, I would lean more to blaming the shooter than the ammo. Just my two cents, which has no cash value.

I considered the shooter as well, but groups do change for the better when I move away from 115s. So all things being equal, there still appears to be an issue with 115s.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I stopped shooting 115 gr WWB long time ago, lately I been shooting different brands in 115 gr and some 124 gr through my G19 gen4 but honestly I didn't notice that likes one over the other. If I remember correctly a lot of people think of the WWB as a very low quality round, buying on line and waiting for sales has kept me from using WWB and not planning of going back anytime soon. I did some research to find out if was worth it buying an aftermarket barrel and couldn't really justify the cost of the barrel for the small gain in accuracy, out of the barrels out there I would take a look at this one.

Match Grade Barrel | Gock 19 | Stainless-http://shopwilsoncombat.com/

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've gotten away from 115 grain pretty much altogether. I had a Beretta 92S that was absolutely horrible with them (like key holing horrible), but that liked 147 grain just fine. I've decided to err on the side of caution and just use the heavier projectiles for the most part.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    My G17 MOS will shoot 3-4 inch groups at 25 with Tula 115's when I do my part. It actually doesn't care for 147's. My G43 prefers 147, so that is what I use in it for carry ammo. One of these days I ammo going to order a case of match ammo to see how that goes. Most of the time though even with cheap ammo the problem is me not the gun. I will say though that Federal Champion 115's are absolutely horrible at 100 yards.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Never had a problem out of 20 or so G19's with 115? That said, I preferred 124's, but not enough to really make a difference. I shoot 124 NATO ball at the range, and 124 Gold Dot for defense, with a smattering of Hornady Critical Duty 135+P when I can get 50 round boxes. If 124 NATO ball isn't available, 115 Aguilla or whatever is available is used.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I can't really give you any advice, but I will say that my stock 19 shoots 115's just fine. I reloaded it with RMR pated bullets. I don't know how it would do with WWB though, I may go out and shoot some and see. I know I have an old 100rnd box laying around somewhere. I have been shooting 147's now though for the most part exclusively just so I can load everything subsonic. Let us know if you find a solution to the issue; being crappy WWB, other 115's that work, the barrel really sucks etc. I've never notice a ton of difference between most in groupings I've shot.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    -On my barrel and his barrel, neither grouped well with the 115s. (5-6" and 4-5" respectively)

what's the difference in your mind between a 4-6" group and a 3" group "with flyers?" Did you discount fliers in your 115 groups? How many groups did you shoot with each? Add mechanical support eg sandbags? Were these at 25 yds?

Ive only shot a handful of 115s through my glocks, 147s is pretty much all I shoot, but I don't recal noticing a difference. What if you tried a quality JHP defensive round?

-rvb

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The Glock std sights and my eyes were my lousy groups. I switched to the Trijicon std night sights and started using my readers. I shoot paper mucho better now.
    My 19 G4 does "ok" with 115 gr Federal but nothing to brag about. At $11 a box of 50 I don't expect much.
    Mine is accuracy sensitive with box ammo. It prefers the 135gr low recoil HShok. The 147gr HST shoots fine but not quite as accurate as the 135.
    I saved this thread hoping to find the "Perfect solution" to shooting perfect. I'm still hoping.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    My G17 shoots like crap with factory 115gr loads. My 115 grn handloads group twice as good as the factory fodder.

I plan on loading 124 next and anticipate them being even better.

If your not a handloader wait for a sale in bulk on-line.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    So Ive noticed my groups on my G19 are awful. I typically shoot WWB 115gr. Last trip to the range I was barely keeping them in the 9 ring of the B-37 at 10 yds, even supported slow fire. I tried some other brands in the same weight and got the same result.

Went out to my buddy's new place today and tried out some other flavors on his range.

-His factory barrel was noticeably more accurate than mine, but were still pretty awful.
    -His LW barrel tolerated the 115s, and also preferred the 124s. But that aftermarket barrel did group at about half the size of my barrel using 115s.

So any suggestions? I would prefer to keep shooting the WWB because its easy to get, but could be convinced to step up as I can find 124s here and there for not much more, but its a PITA.

I'm not shooting bullseye, but would like decent groupings in my IDPA matches. I'd be happy with 3-4" groups.

Any suggestions for NON THREADED aftermarket barrels that wont break the bank? Other than a good scrubbing to remove any possible fouling, any other suggestions? I'm not looking for tight groups, just reasonable ones.
    All of the g19's I've owned shoot about a golf ball sized group at 10 yards if I do my part. If I fire faster the groups open up to softball size with 115's. WWB is garbage IMO, so I run federal 115's. I don't anticipate needing to shoot beyond 25 with these, so that's as fire as I've shot them. My groups that far out were on paper...

Anyways, I am almost wondering if your front sight is loose. G19 shouldn't be shooting that poorly.

Top Bottom