• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    As I am starting to look into handgun training, I am seeing alot of places saying to bring two guns. One as the primary and one in case of failure. I have a M&P 9C and a 9mm Range Officer. I understand the logic behind having a backup gun for classes. My problem is, I really dont want to use the Range Officer for training classes, so I have to now convince the Boss that I need another M&P.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Be careful the last time I spoke to the CFO about getting a backup gun, well long story short, she got a backup sewing machine that cost 2x much as my back up gun :):.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    When I first stated getting into training I had friends that would loan me there gun for the day. So far I never had to use a back up gun weather it was a pistol, AR or shotgun. They all made it through classes. It would suck to have to go home early after spending $300 to $500 on a class. I've seen guns fail to the point that they could not be fixed. My last shotgun class the same guy went through two shotguns. I gave him mine after those two failed.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    2 is 1 and 1 is none.

I no longer have two identical (save for color) FS carry guns. But I do have 1 FS gun and single-stack compact gun that I utilize.

I also have at least 2 holsters for both of these guns. Holsters break...

And I have more than 1 spare mag holster for each style of magazine.

I've yet to take a spare belt with me to a class, but the holder this current one gets - having a spare probably isn't a bad idea.

AND to a much lesser extent: Should you ever happen to use your firearm in a defensive situation; your firearm will almost certainly be confiscated during the ensuing investigation / lawsuits / etc. You may never see that gun again with the way some departments act. If the unthinkable happens, wouldn't it be nice to have something else ready to go again the next time you go out?

When I first stated getting into training I had friends that would loan me there gun for the day. So far I never had to use a back up gun weather it was a pistol, AR or shotgun. They all made it through classes. It would suck to have to go home early after spending $300 to $500 on a class. I've seen guns fail to the point that they could not be fixed. My last shotgun class the same guy went through two shotguns. I gave him mine after those two failed.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    I have been thinking about the 5" m&p 2.0, guess this is a good reason to look harder. Not that I need a good reason, lol.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I always take a spare gun with me to training. (Except the carbine courses, I don't own a second carbine). It does not necessarily have to be an identical gun. For example a 5" M&P and an M&Pc would work fine. The advantage of an identical gun would be not needing to switch holsters and magazines. But that isn't the end of the world either.

Top Bottom