• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Hi Ingo,
    I was shooting my East German Makarov this morning using old Russian ammo that I picked up at a gun show. One of the rounds fired didn't feel right and when I shot the next one something went wrong, an explosion occurred out of battery. After the bang the slide became locked back. After doing a little research online I found out I encountered a squib load and that the barrel was bulged. I took the Mak to a local gunsmith and he could not take the slide off. He said he could cut the slide and barrel off for $150. A new slide and barrel would probably cost me that much, by the time everything is said and done I could buy a Bulgarian Makarov. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any other gunsmiths in Indiana or a bordering state that might be able to take the slide off without doing all of the cutting.
    The smith did tell me I was better off getting another one, but this Mak is one of the first guns that I bought and it does have sentimental value to me. Any input is appreciated, thanks guys

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Turn it in for cash or sell for parts. Or if you are mechanical cut it yourself and try to find your own parts if you are that attached to it.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Don't turn it in, that only feeds the statistics for the libtard gun grabber pinko commies.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Any damage to the slide? .380 barrels at Numrich are $40. That would also help solve the Commie corrosive ammo thing too. Pictures would go long way to helping out.

Edit to add, the remains of your Mak have value as a parts gun. The German Maks are some of the nicest made.

Last edited:
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    There is not any damage to the slide or frame, no cracks or wear present. I already took the Mak to a gun smith and he couldn't get the slide off.
    Good news, I found a gun smith in Alabama who might be able to fix it. The owner seems to specialize in Walther PP and PPK's. He has his own tool to drill out the barrel and can cut the portion already sticking out of the slide. The name of his business is M&M, owner is Mike McClellan, he is in Hazel Green. I am going to give him a call tomorrow.
    If he says he can fix it I will send him the pistol along with a new barrel

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Good to hear you might have found someone to fix it.

Also, glad you are ok. Tough lesson to learn though. Whenever you're shooting and something doesn't seem/sound right, STOP!!!! and check things out. The only thing is costs you is time. And it just may same your fingers, hand, face or your life.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    That's good to know, I was worried the bbl bulge had also damaged the slide, so I guess the GS in Alabama can cut the bbl out and put in a new bbl so your good to go all except for the parts and smithing to include shipping.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    You should keep it as a good luck charm as you are pretty darn lucky to fire into a squib with no bodily injury.
    Lesson learned, no surplus ammo, but it's also a example of Makarov quality, any other gun probably would have blown up completely.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I hope the repair goes well , based on my limited knowledge of the Makarov (it's a fixed barrel blowback 380 basically). A barrel buldge would be much harder to fix than say a browning action gun like a P320

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I hope the repair goes well , based on my limited knowledge of the Makarov (it's a fixed barrel blowback 380 basically). A barrel buldge would be much harder to fix than say a browning action gun like a P320

Since the thread is from 2017, I suspect it was repaired (or thrown away) long ago. And regarding the original idea of "to the police", several people collect worthless old junk guns and turn them in during liberal cities' "guns buyback" events. A nice way to make money from anti-gunners... :lmfao:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom