• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Quick background: Earlier this year my fiancé and I bought a PPS (hers) and a PPQ (mine). She ended up not liking the PPS as much as she thought she would. So we swapped the small back strap onto my PPQ which makes it fit for her and she's quite fond of it now. She's enjoying the time at the range quite a bit more as well.

Here's where the P320 comes in. When she started using my PPQ at the range, I traded my SR22 in on a P320 full size. Holding it feels very nice but I've not been as comfortable shooting it as I was with my PPQ. The PPQ felt very natural when shooting it where the P320 feels less so. I'm not sure if it's the extra weight in the trigger or the bit of extra size the Sig medium grip has or if just going to take more trips to the range to get comfortable with it. The PPQ was comfortable on the first range trip, where the P320 is still not there after several trips. I've put 250-300 through the P320 as of yesterday.

I feel like im having more difficulty maintaining control of the P320. My initial thoughts have been that I'm struggling more with medium grip combo and the heavier trigger, compared with the PPQ. While at the range last night, I tried placing my finger lower on the trigger and that seemed to help "lighten" the feel of the trigger and made things easier. Looking at them side by side, the Sig's grip seems to me to be chunkier on the sides, where the PPQ is slimmer on the sides but has more swell on the back that fills my palm differently. They don't seem to be drastically different in circumference, but the Sig looks to be more round where the PPQ is more oval. That difference does make the Sig feel more chunky in my hand.

I was quite excited about the P320, but after several trips to the range I'm feeling a bit disappointed and frustrated. It's not there is anything wrong with it and I don't dislike it, but I can't say that I really like it either. At those point I can't say for certain if it's actually the P320 that I wanted, or the idea of the modularity of the P320 that I wanted.

Am am I just over thinking things and the P320 is just going to take longer to warm up to?
    Would the small grip module make enough of a difference to make it worth waiting for one to become available before deciding?
    Should this just be chalked up as a learning experience and accelerate the plans for a second PPQ (the Sig would be sold or traded)?

Any thoughts or advice would be helpful at this point as I don't want to just quit trying to make it work, but at the same time that is harder to justify when I know the PPQ works well for us.

Thanks!

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Personally, I love my 320. I just wish I got a 9mm s opposed to my40. Several gunshops have320 in multiple configs. Maybe check them out?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I would give it a couple more range trips, but if you don't warm up to it, there's nothing wrong with getting rid of it for a gun you were more comfortable with. The PPQ is a fantastic gun, very ergonomic, well balanced, accurate and has a great trigger. My wife has the P320C, which I find to be a good gun, but while it's decently balanced and the trigger is nice, it's also a heavier trigger pull and the gun does have thicker grips. Some people like that and some don't. Bottom line is, if you don't lose a ton in the deal, why not go for the PPQ since you know you like it better? :dunno:

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    The Sig 320 just may not be the gun for you, and the PPQ is one awesome shooter. You may want to try the Gray Guns flat trigger they offer for the 320? I have a 320c with standard trigger which is an awesome shooter, and also have a 320 Carry w Gray Guns flat trigger which is very sweet. But there again i have a PPQ which is just hard to beat, what can I say.:dunno:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would give it a couple more range trips, but if you don't warm up to it, there's nothing wrong with getting rid of it for a gun you were more comfortable with. The PPQ is a fantastic gun, very ergonomic, well balanced, accurate and has a great trigger. My wife has the P320C, which I find to be a good gun, but while it's decently balanced and the trigger is nice, it's also a heavier trigger pull and the gun does have thicker grips. Some people like that and some don't. Bottom line is, if you don't lose a ton in the deal, why not go for the PPQ since you know you like it better? :dunno:

^^^THIS^^

You need to give it time. I have used a variety if issued guns over the years. Unless you go through a 2_4 day transition course like an agency would do, for hobby Civilian shooting theres about a 6-8 month window needed to get as good with a new/different gun make than you are with the last gun you had. You used the last one for however long, your not going to (in most cases) shoot the new one that good the first time. Believe it or not your body has mad adjustments (muscle memory and more) over time you don't realize that hasn't set in yet with just a couple four range sessions.

Just keep practicing and everything will fall into place.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If after 250 to 300 rounds, it still does not feel right to you, maybe it's just not the right gun. I've had guns in the past that I was really excited to get and tried to get used to, but with no luck. I actually bought 2 Glock 19s, thinking that it was a good, solid choice for EDC and that I'd get used to it over time. I never did. It didn't feel right at the beginning and it still didn't feel right after 600 some rounds, so I sold both. Not all guns work for all people. Lots of people love Glocks and have a great deal of success with them, but the G19 did not work for me. Maybe you are feeling the same thing with your P320.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Normally I would do like everyone else here and post the popcorn emoji to show I'm following or subscribed to the thread but since a mod told me to not post it any more here's a picture of a puppy!

puppy-nose.gif

I'm curious what one he chooses as I have a PPQ and a 320C.
    Dan

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks!

I'm going to handle a subcompact today. Supposedly those ship with the small grip module, if it does it will give me an idea if that is part of the problem.

I sat down with them both last night and looked at the differences. For being a "compact", the PPQ is actually quite large.

The other differences I found are:
    -the 320 grip is roughly a 1/4" bigger in circumference at every point I measured, the PPQ has the small backstrap on it currently so that effect things
    -the 320 grip is more of a circular shape, where the PPQ is more oval. It makes the 320 feel thicker, where the PPQ fills into my palm more.
    -the 320 has the grip further back on the frame, where the PPQ is a bit further forward
    -despite the 320 having the 5" barrel and the PPQ having a 4" barrel, there is only a 1/4" difference in overall slide lengths.

It's an interesting comparison. For being very similar sized, the differences make them feel very different.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Normally I would do like everyone else here and post the popcorn emoji to show I'm following or subscribed to the thread but since a mod told me to not post it any more here's a picture of a puppy!

puppy-nose.gif

Dan

Is that why people post the popcorn emoji? I wondered about that.

Technically, I own both currently. The PPQ has just been refitted for use for my better half. The question is does the 320 stay or do we trade it for another PPQ? Or do we buy another PPQ and keep the 320 if I grow to like it more than I currently do?

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville

puppy-nose.gif

Dan
    The big question is the puppy for sale?:dunno:

Striker13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    NCI
    I own and enjoy shooting both the P320 and the PPQ. One of the reasons I purchased my P320 was for the modular design and the ability to tinker. Sig has three sizes for each size of gun. While not as easy as swapping an included back strap, i would probably wait to test the small grip modules for the full size. That would provide a similar length for comparison. The SC grip will be closer in length, but slightly wider, than the PPS.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    It's OK to decide that a particular model is a good gun but simply not for you.

Glocks don't fit me well. I don't like the grip angle. Could I get used to it? Certainly. Do I want to? Not even a little bit.

Glock makes wonderful pistols. They just aren't for me, and that's OK.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I did try holding the 320SC on Saturday. The circumference felt smaller, but I forgot to take anything to actually measure it to verify any differences. My gut says it's thinner, but still not as natural feeling.

I'm thinking the grip design that Sig chose is the root cause. The more circular shape of the grip feels much less natural and doesn't fill into my palm quite as nicely. The backstrap design of the PPQ swells into my palm more instead of being thicker where my fingers are. I'm not sure that makes as much sense in words as it does in my head.

The modularity concept of the P320 is really cool and would be better if there was an adequate supply of the pieces.

I've got a standing offer on the 320 that I'm 90% sure I'll take an pick up another PPQ down the road. Nothing wrong with his and hers PPQ right? :D

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I did try holding the 320SC on Saturday. The circumference felt smaller, but I forgot to take anything to actually measure it to verify any differences. My gut says it's thinner, but still not as natural feeling.

I'm thinking the grip design that Sig chose is the root cause. The more circular shape of the grip feels much less natural and doesn't fill into my palm quite as nicely. The backstrap design of the PPQ swells into my palm more instead of being thicker where my fingers are. I'm not sure that makes as much sense in words as it does in my head.

The modularity concept of the P320 is really cool and would be better if there was an adequate supply of the pieces.

I've got a standing offer on the 320 that I'm 90% sure I'll take an pick up another PPQ down the road. Nothing wrong with his and hers PPQ right? :D

Sig does make a smaller grip module that might be more to your liking. However, nothing wrong with selling the sig and picking up another ppq. They are great pistols. Some dislike the ergos as their fingers don't fit the grooves quite right. Sounds like it fits you well.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I would love to try the full size small grip module, but I can't find anyone that has one in stock. Even Sig's store lists them as out of stock. They also listed the large grip module as out of stock when I checked over the weekend. So currently, at least from
    Sig, you can only get the medium grip. I've signed up at a couple of places to be notified when the small grip is back in stock, but no idea when that may occur.

Have the accessories always been scarce for the 320, or did the popularity jump enough with the military contract that there just wasn't enough supply?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I have small(ish) hands for a guy over 6 ft. But I find the next size LARGER grip is actually preferable. It seems to help my trigger finger land *just* in the right spot.

One thing you have to know: factory P320 triggers are literally all over the place on feel, weight, etc. I've had some that we super crisp, some pretty mushy. Newer ones now seem to be significantly crisper than my first-year model. They also have less overtravel.

All that to say it may not be that 320s aren't for you, it might THAT PARTICULAR one isn't for you.

It's frankly a little disturbing and embarassing that triggers on the P320 vary so widely. It doesn't reassure one of the Sig process capability or quality.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    I would love to try the full size small grip module, but I can't find anyone that has one in stock. Even Sig's store lists them as out of stock. They also listed the large grip module as out of stock when I checked over the weekend. So currently, at least from
    Sig, you can only get the medium grip. I've signed up at a couple of places to be notified when the small grip is back in stock, but no idea when that may occur.

Have the accessories always been scarce for the 320, or did the popularity jump enough with the military contract that there just wasn't enough supply?

If you're down for a small road trip, try Acme in Seymour. They had some in stock the last time I was there. Different colors as well if my memory serves me correctly. If you do head that way, they also stock HKs, and the VP9 is a close comparison to the PPQ. Just something else to consider.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've held the VP9. It's a very close comparison to the PPQ. I may see if a trip to Seymour can be worked into the schedule soon and see if they have any in stock.

Thanks!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Only thing to be aware of on the VP9 is that H&K only has trigger guard mag releases, instead of the standard button mag release most manufacturers use. Some people love them and some hate them, but something to be aware of ;)

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the heads up on the mag release! Is it like the PPQ M1 releases? I don't have a ton of experience with handguns so I'm not ingrained with one method or the other, suppose it wouldn't be a bad time to find out.

I've gotten to the point where I'm ok with letting the P320 go. Sometimes things just don't work they way we imagine they would. While I'm fairly certain that I could become proficient, I'm not as sure it would ever feel as natural to me as other options do. The PPQ is still the polymer that fits my hands the best so far. The VP9 may be able to change that. Or I could go totally off the deep end and decide that one PPQ in the house is enough and jump to a 1911... far too many options to make an easy choice. :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom