• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grizz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2017
    Indiana
    So I'm a guy that carries around a spare tire and would like to also carry around my Springfield Armory XD Mod 2. 45 ACP, comfortably. What are your suggestions? Also, IWB preferred.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Quality belt, quality holster.

I'm quite happy with belts from Red Nichols. red nichols holsters The curvature is perfect for me, the belt rides up over your hips slightly and keeps you from having to adjust the belt back up every time you stand up.

Holsters are pretty personal. Leather or kydex? Price range? Ride height? Cant? Etc. On the more economy end of the scale, a kydex holster can be had from a lot of sources, such as Blade Tech. Leather, Milt Sparks makes some really nice IWB holsters, the Summer Special and Executive Companion come to mind if they are made for your gun.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Quality belt, quality holster.

I'm quite happy with belts from Red Nichols. red nichols holsters The curvature is perfect for me, the belt rides up over your hips slightly and keeps you from having to adjust the belt back up every time you stand up.

Holsters are pretty personal. Leather or kydex? Price range? Ride height? Cant? Etc. On the more economy end of the scale, a kydex holster can be had from a lot of sources, such as Blade Tech. Leather, Milt Sparks makes some really nice IWB holsters, the Summer Special and Executive Companion come to mind if they are made for your gun.

Yep. That about covers it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    As a fat bastard myself, the single most important thing I've done to improve my ability to CC comfortably is admit where my waiste actually is and stop wearing my pants under my gut. This meant buying new pants and of course a new belt, and my pant size went from 44 to 52. It's nearly impossible to carry IWB comfortably if your muffin top (or in my case giant blubberous fat roll) is hanging over the slide of your gun.

With properly sized pants, a good belt (super biobelt), and a QUALITY holster, the fattest of bastards can conceal carry all day comfortably.

I prefer AIWB.

Grizz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2017
    Indiana
    As a fat bastard myself, the single most important thing I've done to improve my ability to CC comfortably is admit where my waiste actually is and stop wearing my pants under my gut. This meant buying new pants and of course a new belt, and my pant size went from 44 to 52. It's nearly impossible to carry IWB comfortably if your muffin top (or in my case giant blubberous fat roll) is hanging over the slide of your gun.

With properly sized pants, a good belt (super biobelt), and a QUALITY holster, the fattest of bastards can conceal carry all day comfortably.

I prefer AIWB.

Thanks for the advice! Do you really feel the appendix is comfortable? I haven't tried one yet, but it looks fairly uncomfortable to me.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree with what has been said by all the others. I too am a big man (working to reduce though). I buy my pants 1 waist size larger tjan I really need to allow enough room to carry IWB comfortably. A quality belt, and an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 is my go to holster. There are plenty of others out there and it's all personal preference. I carry IWB in about the 3:30 position with the top of the slide just in front of the seam on the leg of my jeans. A lot of people seem to like AIWB but for me it is not an option. When seated my gut pushes the grip out and drives the slide into an area I don't want a gun pointed under any circumstance. Whatever you do take holster advice from a skinny squirt with a grain of salt..I have a box full of recommended holsters that didn't work for well enough for me. But I found what I like and I have a couple for different guns. Good luck

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    An 8 hour class of drawing, shooting, and reholstering made me realize I'm fatter than I thought. Muffin top burn is a real thing! :laugh:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I prefer AIWB.

Pssst... I can still see the gun... just sayin'... ;)

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I'm a big guy as well and there's no way I can appendix carry! The grip would be pointed out and the muzzle would be pointed at body parts I really don't want it to! When I IWB I use a holster from either Blade Tech or Patriot Concealment. I carry at the 3:30-4 o'clock position. A reholster takes a little more thought and effort then OWB.
    Dan

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    I agree with DanVoils. My roll just is not compatible with appendix carry.

I do carry IWB at the 4-5 position, but only with a smaller gun (LCP, P290) and then only if the pants I am wearing are very loose. Most comfortable seems to be OWB at the 4-5 position, especially if I am going to be doing much bending or other activity.

My current preference in holsters is the Mitch Rosen leather ones. I find his OWB holsters really hold the gun up tight against my body. Still have to wear a loose covering, but they are almost conceal as good as IWB.

Bottom line is, you will probably need to experiment and end up like most of us, with a drawer full of holsters you have tried and ended up not liking. My wife hates to see the UPS/Fed Ex guy pull up. "Did you buy another holster??!!"

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I carry either a XDm or a XDs in a Galco IWB with a Super BioBelt. When concealing really matters, the XDs and a flush fit 7 rd mag, the gun disappears. Mostly with untucked shirts or jackets, I keep it out of sight, even with the XDm 5.25.

I was over 330 lbs. I'm down to 270 now. Still carry the same way.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So I'm a guy that carries around a spare tire and would like to also carry around my Springfield Armory XD Mod 2. 45 ACP, comfortably. What are your suggestions? Also, IWB preferred.

I prefer AIWB.

As the INGO Fat Guy in Residence and original admit-that-you're-not-a-teenager-anymore-and-get-pants-that actually-fit-you proselytizer, I hereby endorse the advice above as correct, definitive, and inclusive. Everyone needs a good belt and holster, but the key for fat guys is pants that fit your actual body, not what you believe fits you.

Where you position your holster is secondary to the Key Elements of Fat Guy IWB Carry:

1. Pants that actually fit you.
    2. Good belt.
    3. Good holster.

In that order.

Again, if your belly hangs over your pants, your pants are too small. Not only will properly fitting pants aid your carry situation, they will make you look better to everyone who sees you.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As the INGO Fat Guy in Residence and original admit-that-you're-not-a-teenager-anymore-and-get-pants-that actually-fit-you proselytizer, I hereby endorse the advice above as correct, definitive, and inclusive. Everyone needs a good belt and holster, but the key for fat guys is pants that fit your actual body, not what you believe fits you.

Where you position your holster is secondary to the Key Elements of Fat Guy IWB Carry:

1. Pants that actually fit you.
    2. Good belt.
    3. Good holster.

In that order.

Again, if your belly hangs over your pants, your pants are too small. Not only will properly fitting pants aid your carry situation, they will make you look better to everyone who sees you.

You're probably right, but if I were to wear my pants high enough for that not to happen, I would look like this.

old_man_high_pants.jpg

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I AM 5' 9" @ 243 lb. My paints fit; I use Kramer horse hide IWB holster carried at the first belt loop past the leg seam. I am using a Kramer belt but it is not like the old ones he made so may change. I carry either a STI 2011 Perfect 10 with a 6" barrel or a Colt Government Rail Gun in .45 ACP. As I have gotten older my hips no longer hold the back of my paints up so went to load bearing suspenders to keep then up. With a jacket or sport coat you never know there is a gun

Grizz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2017
    Indiana
    I really appreciate the great deal of advice from so many fellow fatties. Another question. Are there any Hoosier made holsters to try?

Top Bottom