• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thomas13906

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Greenfield
    Hello. So I have had a Smith and wesson SD40VE for a while now and it seems to be picky with the ammo it will take. With some brands I have had failure to feed and you have to slap the slide forward and it will work fine for a couple more shots and do it again. What different kinds of ammo have people been using successfully with this gun?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    What brands have you had the failures with? Sounds like weak ammo or weak wrist. No offense but that sounds like several of my guns when looking for minimum power for reloads or in my (100lb) wife's hands.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    In my experience .40s seem to run with factory ammo. I would start with a good cleaning and lubrication. I have seen this be the culprit with new guns. Then I would have an experienced handgun shooter run the gun to eliminate "limpwristing" or other operator issues. Again not uncommon with novice shooters and new guns. Lastly I would look at the gun and ammo.

Thomas13906

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Greenfield
    I don't think it's limp wrist however. When I ran winchester I went to let the slide go forward with the release and it still got caught up before it went all the way into the chamber

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't think it's limp wrist however. When I ran winchester I went to let the slide go forward with the release and it still got caught up before it went all the way into the chamber

Could be a weak recoil spring or faulty extractor. Usually those guns are oversprung though and I am not sure there is much that can adjusted on a Smith extractor. Look under the edge of the extractor and see if a bunch of crud is built up under there.

Thomas13906

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Greenfield
    Well I put a new apex trigger and spring kit in it and I have had no issues since but I have only ran federal ammo in it since and I never had issues with federal in the first place

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Well when I run federal through it it does fine but I have tried blazer and winchester also and they both had failure to feed issues

I have had a couple Failure To Feed rounds (out of 4-5 hundred) using Blazer Brass out of my sd9ve. ONE of them jammed so bad that I couldn't rack the slide or drop the mag. I had to pry the mag out and then a loose round fell out of the mag well...still not sure what happened with that. Haven't had any using my HST carry ammo but I don't shoot as much of that.

Thomas13906

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Greenfield
    Somebody at work told me that maybe the gun just needed to be worn in a little more and that was just the excuse I was looking for to go to the range. Haha

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    That's another good question: how many rounds are on the gun? If it IS new, yes it may just need to be worked in some. How much depends on the gun, I've seen some be good to go out of the box and some that are still breaking in over 500 rounds.

Thomas13906

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Greenfield
    Well I'm approaching like 350 in it as it is not a target gun for me. I donto go shoot it all the time by any means. So I'm just going to see if anything changes after the next few boxes of ammo are complete

Top Bottom