• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I just bought a used 686 last weekend. I looked over the exterior. Looked through the barrel. Made sure it locked up good. Cylinder ring was pretty light made me think it hadn't been shot a whole lot. So I bought it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nearly every gun that passes through my hands is used and every type has certain things to look for, usually parts known to wear out fast or ones that are expensive to replace. Bore condition is another big factor as that's something that's either expensive or impossible to fix.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Don't be afraid to ask if you can inspect well...but at least know what you're doing. Its easy to strip down a Glock at a meet up...or take apart an AR ...just be careful and respectful. ..bring a bore light, towel, gun case, knowledge, and situational awareness

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    That depends upon the firearm. Look at chamber, throat, muzzle, lock-up, trigger release/ hammer, fastener condition (screws that have been damaged by using the incorrect screw driver), stocks for cracks / splits, excreta. Depends upon it I am looking for a safe queen, shooter, collecatabilty of the firearm.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    That depends upon the firearm. Look at chamber, throat, muzzle, lock-up, trigger release/ hammer, fastener condition (screws that have been damaged by using the incorrect screw driver), stocks for cracks / splits, excreta. Depends upon it I am looking for a safe queen, shooter, collecatabilty of the firearm.

This. I have purchased several used weapons, two off INGO, and only had a problem with the first INGO buy. Sights fell off and the FTFeed was constant. Sent it back to Taurus and it has worked well since then. Walleye described the process very well, but if it has a good warranty behind it, like the Taurus* lifetime on the gun rather than the owner, it really helps.

*I know, Taurus has other problems; but every handgun I have sent back to it for repairs came back in better condition than when I sent it in. I only had to pay shipping on one of them. Can't complain about Taurus fulfilling their warranty. YMMV.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    All great info and thanks for the pointers. I'm hoping next week everything checks out and the owner and I can come to terms and make a deal. He sounds motivated to sell so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've yet to buy a used gun and I don't like the fact that I won't have any warranty protection but I don't anticipate any issues. However I thought it might be a good idea to get some feedback on what I should be looking for.

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    Slawburger, your avatar is making me hungry, love me some slaw Burgers

On to the question at hand, depends on the type of gun, on blued revolvers I like to remove the grips and make sure there is no rust

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I don't have a problem buying a used gun as long as it hasn't been abused. Most people (excluding INGOians) don't shoot a firearm enough to wear it out.

That is sort of interesting. I wonder why that is. You know the owner said he's only shot it less than 50 times. That and the price I think makes it a pretty sweet deal.

Last edited:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    If you where to buy a used gun what things do you look for or pay particular attention to? Would you ever buy a used gun?
    I have bought a number of used guns over the years, and only once did I have an issue. I sent the gun back in to have the extractor replaced, and it ran good after that. If I do buy a used gun, one thing I look for now is the extractor....I also check out the ejector closely. I ask if I can remove the slide to see how much wear is on the rails as well, just basic stuff. I usually ask if I can pull the trigger through once or twice, and pull it through slowly.

I am no gunsmith, but usually one can tell obvious issues.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I have bought a number of used guns over the years, and only once did I have an issue. I sent the gun back in to have the extractor replaced, and it ran good after that. If I do buy a used gun, one thing I look for now is the extractor....I also check out the ejector closely. I ask if I can remove the slide to see how much wear is on the rails as well, just basic stuff. I usually ask if I can pull the trigger through once or twice, and pull it through slowly.

I am no gunsmith, but usually one can tell obvious issues.

Me neither, and although I am familiar with the terms I doubt at this point I could recognize any issues with them but slide wear at this point. But good points and I hope to become more familiar with the various parts of the gun as time goes by. I still have a lot to learn.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Believe it or not, I look at the sellers feedback more than the pistol. I've bought two Glocks recently that I spent zero time looking at. One from billybob44 and the other from Disposable Heart. Both have fantastic feedback and honestly described their firearms. Any gun show buys I look more at the outside for buggered screws and general condition. Buggered screws are a sign of a tinkerer. Don't even get me started on stippled polymer frame pistols.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom