• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I saw the new FNH 509 9mm today. I didn't even know it existed until I saw one on display. I see that there was a blurb about it on TFB (usually Kirk's good about posting from there). Consider it a refinement of the FNS according to TFB and I concur. The grip is a lot nicer, a lot more rounded and not as squarish as the FNS was. The slide's reprofiled as well and I like the new serrations. Price was 529.00, not bad.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I've seen a couple reviews and they seem positive. If they shoot as well or better than the FNS series then maybe FN will finally get the respect they deserve. I personally love all of my FN pistols and have many rounds thru them without an issue. I also hope they come out with a 509T at some point.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I actually saw a commercial on television for the FN509. Looks pretty good!

[video=youtube;FURYw8unEXE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FURYw8unEXE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    As was already mentioned, FN deserves far more respect for the hanguns they produce, and maybe the 509 will finally bring them that overdue respect.

I don't own any FN pistols right now, but from everything I've seen about the 509, I believe that there will be one in my future.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I just recently picked up the FNS-9C FDE and FNS-9 Longslide and love them. It sounds like the improvements are worth it, but in it's current configuration, I'm not too interested. If they release the 509 in a longslide tactical model, (threaded barrel, RMR cut, suppressor sights) I'd probably be all over it. And maybe a compact model.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I just recently picked up the FNS-9C FDE and FNS-9 Longslide and love them. It sounds like the improvements are worth it, but in it's current configuration, I'm not too interested. If they release the 509 in a longslide tactical model, (threaded barrel, RMR cut, suppressor sights) I'd probably be all over it. And maybe a compact model.

If you already have an FNS i'm not sure it would warrant the change sort of like the M&P 2.0, but to a new buyer I definitely would get the 509. If I hadn't seen it at a store in MI I probably would have picked it up. This store is usually a little pricey so maybe they'll come in cheaper at stores that have good pricing like ZX or PSS?

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    If you already have an FNS i'm not sure it would warrant the change sort of like the M&P 2.0, but to a new buyer I definitely would get the 509. If I hadn't seen it at a store in MI I probably would have picked it up. This store is usually a little pricey so maybe they'll come in cheaper at stores that have good pricing like ZX or PSS?

Yeah. Probably the case, but a tactical model may put me over the edge. :)

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    If history is any indication, it will probably be 2-3 years before we see a Lonslide or Tactical model, but we can hope and dream. Like I said, I love FN pistols and they are very underrated. I kinda hope they stay that way so the prices don't skyrocket.

BobG23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2016
    KFWA
    The one 509 at Point Blank is $569. That seems fair for the upgrades from the FNS yet being a mag shy.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I handled 3 or 4 at NRAAM. They do not fit my hand very well. I could not get a high grip up under the beaver tail. I also thought the triggers were very average.

I wish I had gotten the chance to check more pistols at the show but I ended up with mostly rifles and shotguns (bleh) this year.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    With all the "new" pistols coming out (Sig 320, FN 509, Ruger American, Remington RP, Walther PPQ M2, M&P 2.0, VP-9, etc etc), I wonder what it would take to get me to move away from the older M&P platform.

Once a guy gets so heavily invested in holsters and magazines - may as well stay there as far as carry equipment goes...right?

Cost of the gun ~$500, holsters are anywhere from $50-100 (and I have at least 2 per carry gun), OEM mags are usually $35-55 depending on if there's a Ruger or H&K stamped on them, plus 300-500 rds training ammo, plus ~100-200rds carry ammo...

Looks like I'll be staying "pat".

I would, however, like to fire everything I can to see if something trips my trigger, so to speak.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    PSS had one Thursday for $509. I liked it, but it didn't feel much different than the FNS 9c. I'm going to wait to rent one and see if it's worth adding to the family.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Plenty to be had on Gunbroker for $499 and less. I want one, but will wait for them to be on the market awhile. Once they have been on the market, we will see what kind of recall gets issued, as well as cheaper prices.
    I made the mistake of buying a Tavor when they first hit the market. I'm into my Tavor for $1950, and it would seem you can buy them all day long in the $1400 to $1500 dollar range.

Lesson learned, I will wait patiently for the market to settle down on new guns when they first come out. They do appear to be a nice pistol.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Lesson learned, I will wait patiently for the market to settle down on new guns when they first come out. They do appear to be a nice pistol.

Yepper, I've bought my fair share of the newest toy, going to start (VP9sk will be first) waiting for the newest toys to be "no longer hottest thing), & maybe then buy.

PS: New FN 509 looks like a winner, hope to rent one.

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    PSS had one Thursday for $509. I liked it, but it didn't feel much different than the FNS 9c. I'm going to wait to rent one and see if it's worth adding to the family.
    I got to see a 509 this afternoon. To me it feels like the full-size FNS 9 not the 9c. This 509 had the round backstrap, but I prefer the flat one on the FNS 9. I'm with you in that I will have to rent the new 509 before I buy, and it will have to shoot a lot better than the full-size 9. And even at that, I doubt it will replace the 9c as my EDC.

Top Bottom