142fzev.jpg

Freeze frame from the teaser video.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Looks like Springfield has a Shield competitor, that is maybe based on an alloy frame, since they already have the XD-S in polymer. It could be their own single-stack that is made here instead of Croatia.

Last edited:

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Here it is. Single stack DA/SA with decocker and safety. So happy they left the Grip Zone!

http://www.springfield-armory.com/xde-features

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yawn. 25 oz weight. Bit taller with 9+1. I might as well buy the bobtailed 4" EMP. But it's always good to see different products and I am sure that this will be the right gun for someone.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    This could be a contender for my wifes 1st pistol. We've shot S&W M&P, a couple of Glocks, and a couple of XD's. She really like the M&P until she shot, didn't like the grip afterwards. It would be nice if it was full size instead of compact. She just cannot seem to find the sweet spot.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This could be a contender for my wifes 1st pistol. We've shot S&W M&P, a couple of Glocks, and a couple of XD's. She really like the M&P until she shot, didn't like the grip afterwards. It would be nice if it was full size instead of compact. She just cannot seem to find the sweet spot.

25 oz Single Stack with a full length grip. I would think this gun would handle well for people with smallish hands. You might also take a look at the 4" XDs, Walther PPS M2, S&W Shield, and Glock 26. These all fall into roughly the same size and weight with the Shield being the only <20 oz gun in the list. Handguns are shrinking and manufacturers are addressing the marketplace.

My wife is looking for a lighter weight gun with a manual safety, that is southpaw friendly that handles as well as a 1911. Sorry to say it doesn't exist. Her 4" Kimber is only marginally bigger then many of the guns I listed above.

edit: Just saw another set of specs that says 23 oz weight. So might be a smidge smaller then I am picturing. In this market mere ounces and fractions of an inch can really change how a gun carries, feels and handles.

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland

Meh..

Was there actually a need for this?

Entering into a market already dominated by the G42/43, S&W Shield, and it's own XDs, with the only justification being that some people prefer external hammers and manual safeties. Hardly seems as revolutionary as they made it sound.

Last edited:

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Meh..

Was there actually a need for this?

Entering into a market already dominated by the G42/43, S&W Shield, and it's own XDs, with the only justification being that some people prefer external hammers and manual safeties. Hardly seems as revolutionary as they made it sound.

but, in all honesty, are there any other major players producing something similar? the single stack hammer fired DA/SA is few and far between, add light weight poly frame and the group shrinks even more. I dont think it's a bad idea.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    After Springfield betrayed us gun owners, I won't be buying anything they make for the foreseeable future. Did they learn nothing from Ruger and S&W...

Top Bottom