• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I'm considering buying one of these police trade-ins. They have them in the S&W Model 10 and Model 64. Are these a decent price?

I've been wanting to get a revolver for my wife to have around the house. She's new to shooting and struggles with the slide on the semi-autos. I think one of these larger framed models might fit the bill perfectly, but I'm far from an expert on gun pricing and thought I would tap into the knowledge of the forum members.

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/s-13-police-trade-ins.aspx#Pg0|

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    IMO, it's a reasonable price. It's possible to get one cheaper, but not a lot cheaper. Just depends on how much you value your time sifting through websites, gun shops, etc.

Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    Solid deals. The best thing about a good deal on a used gun is if it turns out not to be what you wanted you can sell it for what you paid and not be out anything.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    These are those containers of El Salvador guns, yes?

I bought several at $200 to 250. They are in great shape. I only had to send one (out of 4) in to fix light strikes.

I don't know anything about them being El Salvador guns. They are marked CDC, which someone said meant they were from the California Department of Corrections.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I picked up two S&W Model 10s a couple years ago (quite possibly the same batch Kirk was talking about, since I think they were reimported from South or Central America).

They definitely had seen use and one of them I ended up just replacing the cylinder and crane (with other used parts from eBay). But if you get into it with the idea that these aren't going to be pristine new guns, they can be good buys. Granted, I got them for under $200, so that's a bit different than $300+ a pop.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I don't know anything about them being El Salvador guns. They are marked CDC, which someone said meant they were from the California Department of Corrections.

They are...The wife went down to a gun shop down the street and bought me one last year...My understanding is that they are California DOC revolvers...I put some wood Herrett boot grips on mine and when I went home poured a bourbon on the rocks, cleaned the weapon, and listened to Johnny Cash sing "Folsom Prison Blues" and "Live from San Quentin"....

It just seemed right somehow...

Very good weapons and shooting a K frame, heavy barrel .38 special is like Bill Monroe and The Bluegrass Boys when Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs were in the band...Some things are just perfect and can't be made better for their suited purpose....Late 50's Bluegrass boys music and heavy barreled K Frames fall into that realm of perfection that is often striven for but rarely obtained....

Get it and you'll be happy....

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    You are going to want to go through the lock work, replace the springs before pressing it into serious service.

I bought a Smith model 10 police trade in recently and it was light strike city. Go through them, clean them thoroughly, clean up the lock work and respring, you are good to go!

Beware J&G sales. Their pricing is meh at best, but their shipping charges are exorbitant.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Agree that K Frame is a winning firearm! I own the Tapered(Skinny) barrel 10-5 4in. Was used, barely fired. I liked it so much, (was a shooter model), had a Gunsmith Reblue it and came out perfect. It had no issues in the 30 years I have owned it. Load, shoot, reload, clean. Everytime! While the "Smith" had it he fit an Orange insert in the front fixed sight. Now that I am older, my vision picks it up perfectly during practice. Yes, jump on those prices, would take any listed. Don't hesitate.
    Good luck

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I picked up a trade in Model 15 a year or two ago. $350. So $299 on a Model 10 seems about right. I have had no trouble with the gun and it is a good shooter.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I paid $299 for my police trade-in M64. I've also owned several model 10's. Hands down, I think the 64 is my best-shooting Smith ever.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    My wife and I are both off today and plan on heading to Point Blank in Greenwood. I may rent a .38 to let her see what she thinks. I believe when you rent from there, you can change between rental guns at no extra charge. I will probably start with a Ruger LCR or S&W 642 and then switch to GP100 or 686 so she can feel the difference between the two. If she likes the feel of the larger gun then I will probably buy one of these trade-ins.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    They are...The wife went down to a gun shop down the street and bought me one last year...My understanding is that they are California DOC revolvers...I put some wood Herrett boot grips on mine and when I went home poured a bourbon on the rocks, cleaned the weapon, and listened to Johnny Cash sing "Folsom Prison Blues" and "Live from San Quentin"....

It just seemed right somehow...

Very good weapons and shooting a K frame, heavy barrel .38 special is like Bill Monroe and The Bluegrass Boys when Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs were in the band...Some things are just perfect and can't be made better for their suited purpose....Late 50's Bluegrass boys music and heavy barreled K Frames fall into that realm of perfection that is often striven for but rarely obtained....

Get it and you'll be happy....

Can not be expressed any better. So many of indiucky's posts make me want to drink and shoot stuff.

Top Bottom