• ...and so much more!
  • t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Decided to finally replace the original recoil and firing pin springs on my SR1911. The gun was still running 100%, but due to it's age and the amount of rounds I've put through it, I figured it was due.
    Here's how the new ones (lower) compared to the originals...

image3 (4).jpg

While the new firing pin spring is just a touch longer than the original, it's the recoil spring that really surprised me. Since I don't have a tester I can't measure the actual rates, but the differences in free lengths point to the new one being a heavier rate.

Since I've had zero issues with the way the gun runs, even while messing around with various reloading recipes, I decided to stick with the factory parts. Ruger shows the recoil spring as an 18# weight. I had a 20% off coupon due to another recent Ruger purchase...:cool:...so it made the springs stupid cheap to buy.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I have read, but I have no personal experience to verify it, that the spring compression is visible as soon as the first mag run through. The compression doesn't mean the spring is worn out.
    I have a SR1911 too. How many rounds when you changed the spring? I've read recommended intervals at everything from 1000 to 5000. I'm at 1200 rounds and runs like a top.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I just did the recoil spring on my XDm. The new spring from Wolff was longer than the original. I bought the standard weight spring which is 18 lbs.

My pistol was still running fine but the mag springs wouldn't always activate the slide stop on an empty mag so when I ordered the mag springs, I got the recoil spring also.

I can tell a huge difference in tension just by racking the slide.

Also the new mag springs were +10% so getting the last 3 of the 19 rounds in sure makes me glad I have an Upla mag loader.

Last edited:

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I have read, but I have no personal experience to verify it, that the spring compression is visible as soon as the first mag run through. The compression doesn't mean the spring is worn out.
    I have a SR1911 too. How many rounds when you changed the spring? I've read recommended intervals at everything from 1000 to 5000. I'm at 1200 rounds and runs like a top.

I've got somewhere around 1500 to 2000 mostly factory 230gn hardball ran through it. And I found the same thing while searching for spring change interval info....it's kinda all over the place. I found everything from once a year because they are cheap insurance, to hard numbers like X amount of rounds, to measuring the free length (Wilson Combat's recommendation), to comparing how far the rounds eject compared to when the springs were new.
    I'm aware that free length is not always a good indicator of rate, and that the rate should be measured within the compression range that the spring does it's work at, but it surprised me how different the 2 free lengths are considering they are supposed to be the same part.

BTW, I got them from here....Parts-ShopRuger

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've got somewhere around 1500 to 2000 mostly factory 230gn hardball ran through it. And I found the same thing while searching for spring change interval info....it's kinda all over the place. I found everything from once a year because they are cheap insurance, to hard numbers like X amount of rounds, to measuring the free length (Wilson Combat's recommendation), to comparing how far the rounds eject compared to when the springs were new.
    I'm aware that free length is not always a good indicator of rate, and that the rate should be measured within the compression range that the spring does it's work at, but it surprised me how different the 2 free lengths are considering they are supposed to be the same part.

BTW, I got them from here....Parts-ShopRuger

If you are watching ejection rates (distance) you will see differences as to load/grip/round etc.

If you push out past 5k then yes, re-spring it. We put 10K on 2 Para's (Back when they were decent guns) with no issues.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I had trouble with my SR1911 ejecting light reloads, clays with 200gr Xtreme. I changed the factory out for a 16# Wilson spring and have had a lot more success than before. From my research, it looked like 16# was standard for 1911s compared to the 18# in the Ruger. I'm glad the gun is running well for you and I can only hope mine will go well past that round count. Out of all my handguns, it gets shot the least for some reason!

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I had trouble with my SR1911 ejecting light reloads, clays with 200gr Xtreme. I changed the factory out for a 16# Wilson spring and have had a lot more success than before. From my research, it looked like 16# was standard for 1911s compared to the 18# in the Ruger. I'm glad the gun is running well for you and I can only hope mine will go well past that round count. Out of all my handguns, it gets shot the least for some reason!

Just got back from the range and I'm happy to say nothing changed with the way the gun runs. I ran about 75 Freedom Munitions 230 grainers through it and another 100 or so of my reloads with no issues. I'm using a "middle of the road" recipe of 5 grains of HP-38 under a 230gn Xtreme RN. Maybe it's juuust strong enough to to run with the heavier spring...:dunno: It's definitely softer than most of the factory stuff and the FM remans I've tried but the gun absolutely loves the recipe.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    It's normal for the used spring to be compressed. Spring rate is governed by wire diameter vs the number of coils and a couple of thousands in wire diameter can make a significant difference in spring rate.. For what it's worth I was told by the guys at Nighthawk that generally the 3.5 pistols with the single recoil spring should be changed at 500 rounds, commander size slides at 1500 and full size at 2000.. Flat wire springs are supposed to last longer but I have no direct knowledge that is the case.. Springs, magazine or recoil are items that have a cycle life and changing them with high quality replacements is just the smart thing to do. Hope this helps..

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have one of these I use whenever tuning problems/load variances with a 1911. These springs are from Wolff Springs. Once you determine which springs run the best with the load in your 1911, order extras of that spec. Pretty handy when you want to shoot bullseye with a hardball gun.

Stock No. 13117 - Master Calibration Pak - Variable
    This pak contains 1 each of 16.5 Lb. factory standard recoil spring, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15 reduced power variable recoil springs, 17.5, 18.5, 20, & 22 Lb. extra power variable recoil springs and 5 each extra power firing pin springs.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I shoot a LOT more than 2000 rounds on a spring in a full sized pistol, maybe 3 or 4 times that many. I am pretty sensitive to feeling frame battering and short stroking is pretty easy to figure out.

Top Bottom