• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    ...... or how to make an ugly gun even more unattractive.

Backstory: I did not do this!!!!! I went into the LGS on Saturday to pickup some gun club dues for deposit. Quick in an out right before closing time. The owner approached a couple of us regarding a Glock that had been traded in. The former owner decided to try their hand at stippling the poor thing and managed to maul the frame. Gunshop owner would have had not problem moving the gun at the price he shot us, but just didn't want to mess with it. I felt so sorry for the little guy that I brought it home figuring it would be happy living in the safe.

So now the issue at hand. What do I do with this thing? The Glock torturer and his soldering iron managed to get the frame hot enough to discolor the plastic and physically warp the frame. Now the magazines will not fall free and sit in the frame crooked. Somehow he warped the plastic recoil spring guide rod and the sights are discolored yellow instead of being bright white. I happen to have a jager guide rod on the bench so I dropped this in and while at the range we popped off a couple of magazines. Gun shoots straight so other then the warped, ugly frame it is perfectly functional. Looking around I have some extra Glock parts on hand so time to play.

What would INGO do? Go!!!!

IMG_0829_zpsnpaizgx9.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That's an interesting project VERT. On one hand, you could send it to Glock to have a new frame fit, but you could also look into something like a LoneWolf frame or other third party frame kit. Or, you could buy a G23 and just use the slide as a conversion for those times when you want to plink for a bit less money than .40 costs. If the frame were still straight, I'd say get creative with JB Weld and sandpaper, but with a warped frame, I dont' know that I'd waste time trying to fix what's there.

Maybe this: https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=844599&CAT=3168

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Not sure if you're interested in dropping another $115 into it, but OEM frames are available. Depending on what you paid, if might make sense to get a stripped frame and just sell the thing off for $450.

Gen3 Compact Factory Frame - Stripped (G19/23/32) - Stripped

I personally wouldn't trust it as a defensive gun if the mags don't drop free, but if it's just going to be a range toy than get a grip sleeve to cover up that hideous stipple job and call it a day.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Ok, for $75, I'd go with MCgrease's option. Might not be as interesting in the end, but the Lone Wolf option might not be worth as much as the factory frame too.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Ok, for $75, I'd go with MCgrease's option. Might not be as interesting in the end, but the Lone Wolf option might not be worth as much as the factory frame too.

My link did say the frame needed to go through an FFL (not sure why) and that was an additional $40 flat fee.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    My link did say the frame needed to go through an FFL (not sure why) and that was an additional $40 flat fee.

It's the serial numbered part.

Vert-

I just bought a frame from them for a Roland Special project. The total ended up being $115 from them + $25 for the transfer.

The nice thing about The Glock Store is that all you have to do is put the name, address and phone number of the shop in the comment box when you place the order and they will do all the work in contacting your FFL.

I had my frame 2 days after I ordered it.

I would get a new frame, use the parts from it and melt the other one.

The guy that did that damage to that Glock is a retard and should never be allowed around soldering irons and polymer pistols.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I would either:

1. Buy a stripped G19/23 frame off Gun Broker for +/- $80 plus transfer.

2. Buy a Polymer 80 PF940C frame for $149.00 and no transfer.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I wonder which INGO'r did that to the Glock in the first place? I'm guessing that he let it go for a song to the shop owner and didn't realize that he could have fixed it so cheaply.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I figured I would post this up because I thought it would lead to some interesting conversation. Seems that people are leaning towards fixing the little guy. I am not opposed to that at all and have even been looking at frames online. It's hard to say exactly what I paid for this Glock because I was also looking at a second Glock in the case and like a smart@$$ I asked he shop owner what kind of deal he would give me if I took both. Put up or shut up I guess and I actually ended up with two Glocks. So to keep the math easy I have $300 in this very ugly but currently functional G19. Let's say I order a $75 OEM frame + $40 fee + $30 transfer. Now I have $445 in a G19. Yes it would be nearly new again and not out of line in value but I can buy $450 Glocks almost any day.

88 I had a G23 that I carried for years. Sold it to my brother not to long ago. In fact he still owes me money. :laugh: If I still had it I would do as you suggested and just swap the slides onto that frame. Worst case I will just swap him the G19 for a conversion. He works in a brewery so maybe I can negotiate a good trade.

This thing just screams creativity guys. I have a couple ideas but would love to hear more.

1) send it off for a grip reduction and rebuild. But not sure I want to drop more money on a gun I will never carry or probably never shoot.
    2) buy a timber wolf frame. Probably cheaper then the grip reduction. Something cool and different. But $200.
    3) I do have a hacksaw and a dremel....... I also have a G26 and another G19 in the safe. Might be able to fix the magazine falling free issue and I wouldn't have to buy anything.
    4) Just leave it alone and have a beater gun laying around. The whole magazine not dropping free in a defensive gun isn't a big deal for me. A G19 carries as much ammo onboard as my preferred EDCs do including the spare magazine. If the gun malfunctions I will have to rip the mag free anyway. But I agree the mag not falling free is not something I would recommend.

edit: 5) Metallic Gold Krylon and bedazzle it. Come on you know you have wanted to try it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Vert-go all out and build a Roland Special or get a frame and mill the slide for a red dot...unless you got one of those already.

oh, I had not considered a carry optics gun. Good call. Hmmmmmm

edit: Was seriously thinking about this one! Might as well add a threaded barrel while I am at it. Would cost some coin. I have decided the better option would be to sell you the G19, let you build it really cool and just right. And then buy it back when at a great price when you are tired of it. :D

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    No...the only part that matters is the frame.

Correct the frame is the gun. Only other option would be an 80% frame. But I can just buy another OEM frame and have it transferred in for about the same price and less hassle.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Cut that grip down to G26 length and whatever is necessary to get the mags to drop with heat or abrasives. I wouldn't throw any money at it until you are happy with that, then some Talon grips to cover the ugly. Sharpie should die what the grips don't cover.

It'd make a handy class or defensive emergency loaner. The same as a stashed vehicle/garage/shed/bathroom emergency BUG.

I've heard some of those crazy tinfoil hat people talk of keeping a BUG G19 in the extra pocket of their discreet carbine bags. :dunno:

Last edited:

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    oh, I had not considered a carry optics gun. Good call. Hmmmmmm

edit: Was seriously thinking about this one! Might as well add a threaded barrel while I am at it. Would cost some coin. I have decided the better option would be to sell you the G19, let you build it really cool and just right. And then buy it back when at a great price when you are tired of it. :D

Do it!:cool:

IMG_2246.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2246.jpg
      IMG_2246.jpg
      50.2 KB · Views: 3
    Top Bottom