• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    When taking my kids to the range (weekly at a minimum) we shoot mostly 22lr. I've got a Taurus tracker that gets a lot of love and recently purchased a S&W 617, which is a wonderful piece. I'm not interested in another semi auto 22, but noticed a ruger sp101 22 at the LGS and thought I'd inquire here if anyone had experiences with one, and what was thought comparatively with my other two.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I can't speak to the Ruger SP101 option, though at one time I had an SP101 3" in 357 that I liked. What I appreciate about Rugers is the modular trigger design. If you know what you're doing, which isn't hard, you can have a Ruger stripped down to the bare frame in literally minutes.

I've got a 3" S&W J-Frame Model 63 that I upgraded with an Apex spring kit (but not the extended firing pin - it was too sharp, and punctured the rim of the brass instead of striking it) that has absolutely NO recoil... it's pretty much the same as a 3" Model 60, but in 22LR. Fun fun fun to shoot a 22LR revolver, especially for young ones or people new to shooting. Which, having a 617, I'm sure you know!

I will say that I thought being a rimfire would make these revolvers more economical to purchase. This, I'm sure you also know, is not the case... the same amount of effort goes into making a revolver regardless of caliber. I think the SP101 in 22LR would be a HOOT. Here's a bad cell phone pic of my M63:

20160204_131135_zpswzfhlwh1.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Correct, you are. They cost a fair amount. But I hit the ground with up to 5 shooters and nobody balks at the noise and recoil of the 22. Gotta love it when my girls enjoy the shooting like my boys. I hadn't seen the 63 that you have. That's a sharp looking piece. I have considered the kit gun but it just didn't retain my attention. It's an unfair opinion, though, as I've never shot one.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    BBI has an SP101 he seemed to like....If you can find an ugly Smith model 18 for around $400 it'll out live all of you all...You can get a less ugly shooter model 18 for a little over $500...

I paid $400 for this one...Ugly as sin but she shoots like the Dickens.....

I am a Ruger Bearcat fan as well...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    SP101 is great for smaller hands. The trigger is butt out of the box, price in a Wolff spring kit. Way better trigger, no loss in reliability.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I have considered the kit gun but it just didn't retain my attention. It's an unfair opinion, though, as I've never shot one.
    IMHO, you would do well to steer clear of that S&W Kit gun. IIRC, it's the Model 317. Neat looking litte guy, but I've been hard pressed to find a good review of it, other than it's lightweight. Accuracy, not so much. It pains me to say this as a S&W revolver nut, but the M317 is one you should pass on.

SP101 is great for smaller hands. The trigger is butt out of the box, price in a Wolff spring kit. Way better trigger, no loss in reliability.
    Completely agreed. I put the Wolff springs in my SP101, which had a terrible DA out of the box. These springs made a huge difference, turned it into a different gun, especially in DA. And not one single light strike either, I thought it was a really good setup, truly a no-brainer improvement for the price. And not difficult at all to install.

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I happen to prefer Ruger's single-six over the bear-cat. Aside from the longer sight radius, the grip and hammer seem to be slightly larger.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I believe I have received all special tools ordered for the Single-9 to bearcat size project. I'll get another thread started as soon as I get my garage/workspace squared away so there can be a track record of things.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby

The trigger is a hut heavier than the Smiths I've fired. Easily remedied with a Wolff spring kit (i like the 12 lb hammer spring, and 10 lb teigger return spring -- that should give plenty of umph for stubborn .22 primers)
    As far as I know, in DA/SA, you have GP100 10 shot, SP101 8 shot, LCR and LCRx 8 shot.
    The internals are easier on the SP101 and GP100 for swapping springs.
    I think the 4" SP101 in .22 is the most versatile kit gun, but the LCRx would be fun.

Top Bottom