• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C-Wolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Evansville
    Sometime this winter, I'm contemplating getting myself a revolver after I get my coveted 1911 this July. The revolver in question is intended only to be used as a range toy, maybe a little pest control with those fancy shot shells once in a great while. In other words, nothing serious. Both revolvers I'm looking at are 357s. While they are different brands and look somewhat different, the only real distinguishing feature is the length of the barrel. One of them is a 2", and the other is a four inch.

Is there any tangible difference between the two? Recoil, muzzle flip, muzzle flash, etc? I'll no doubt wind up with both at some point, but I'm the type that has to decide on one to get first. I've included links if anyone is curious....

https://www.rkguns.com/eaa-windicator-357-magnum-compact-revolver-770130.html

https://www.rkguns.com/taurus-model-65-357-magnum-full-size-revolver-2-650041.html

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    4" barrel is minimum length to be legal for hunting deer with a handgun chambered in an approved round. The 357mag is an approved round. I vote 4" all the way.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Of those two get the Taurus. The only real drawback on it for a range gun is the fixed sights. Hopefully it hits where pointed.

In that price class have you looked at Rossi? I think they are better than the "bull by the horns" guns. For range and shot shell work the 97 series would give you a six inch barrel adjustable rear sight and the choice of stainless or blue.

I do do believe they are both owned by the same company. Made at different plants. The old rumor was Rossi purchased the old smith model 66 and model 60 production line during a dash change and moved it to Brazil.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    For your purposes, a 4" barrel would be the shortest I would consider. I prefer 6" barrels. I never liked the balance of the 4" barrel on a revolver. If possible, shoot a few revolvers to see what feels best in your hand. Also, get one with adjustable sights, as mentioned above.

As far as your selections, I would consider S&W or Ruger revolvers. If price is too high for new guns, consider those brands used. They are much better quality firearms. More than half of my handguns are revolvers. Most of the local competitions I shoot, I use revolvers. I like their feel and I like good steel and wood on my guns as opposed to plastic. Just my take on the revolvers, but it is best to try several before you buy. Good luck in your decision.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I prefer 4. For me the ejector rod is the controlling issue.

Remember, as in shotguns, revolvers are all about reloading. I want the full length rod to punch out the trash.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm a died-in-wool S&W person when it comes to revolvers and it's the only brand I currently own. I have owned a Taurus CH85 in the past as a CC piece. It was fine for it's intended purpose.

I prefer 4" barrel length over other lengths if the barrel has a full lug. If not, I like a 6". I find the balance on both to be just right for me.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Look for a 4-5" S&W 686 or 586 (686 = stainless finish, 586 = blued finish). Same revolver. They're awesome. Can also get the 686 in 7-shot configuration, too, if that tickles your fancy.

OR look for a Ruger GP100 in 4-5" flavors. They can also be had in stainless or blued finishes.

Both revolvers come in various different "dealer exclusive" trims that can change the look of the thing. Grips, fluted cylinders or not, full length under-lug vs. half length vs. 3/4 length.

In general terms, the Ruger can be the more wallet-friendly of the two. Depending on what model / features / and retailer purchased from.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I'd go 4" for the balance and increased sight radius. If you run 357's, you'll appreciate the bit of extra mass. The short barrel is only worth considering if you plan to carry it concealed a lot. The extra sight radius and balance will make a huge difference.

(of course I'd recommend a Smith or Ruger over either of these but that wasn't your question)

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There is a large velocity difference between 2, 3, and 4 inch in 357. This obviously is also impacted by powder and the bullet used as well. I have a spreadsheet of velocities between the 3 that I will see if I can find for you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I think the Chiappa Rhino is the finest revolver on the market.
    I have the 4 and 5 inch 357/38s all +P.
    The design negates the recoil.
    if you want you can also get a 9mm cylinder.

C-Wolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Evansville
    S&W and others like 'em do make very nice revolvers, but are a tad rich for my blood; at least in a target shooting role. Maybe someday I'll grab a gently used model....

Hadn't heard of Rossi before, and I can easily say that after finding them, I'm more interested in it than the other two.

ROSSI 972 6IN 357 MAGNUM | 38 SPECIAL STAINLESS 6RD | Brownells

And, after doing a little math, this baby comes out cheaper than the Taurus 4", at a very clean 399.99. From what I've read, Rossi seems to be the economy line from Taurus? Also noticed that everyone who sells Rossi products seems to be out of stock for some reason...

Thanks for all the input, especially the guy who mentioned Rossi. I now must have one for my growing collection.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As an alternative, you could split the difference in barrel length, still have a reasonably affordable gun, and get much better quality by picking up the 3" Ruger LCR in .357 Magnum.
    The EAA has a reputation for less than stellar quality, but the Taurus is probably going to be better, but Ruger or S&W will put both of the others to shame.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    2 inch in a .357 is great to carry, but the drawbacks are that the revolver really jumps around violently in your hand, rotating upward and your grip is not set up well for a second shot. The muzzle blast and fireball from the 2 inch is really impressive, except that in low light conditions, does the same as a flash camera, that is, leaves you vision impared for a couple seconds. That is not what you want in a self defense situation. If a 4 inch will ergonomically work for you, that is the better choice.

My 2 inch carry revolver is loaded with .38 defensive ammo that is designed for less flash in short barrels.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I'll no doubt wind up with both at some point, but I'm the type that has to decide on one to get first. I've included links if anyone is curious....

https://www.rkguns.com/eaa-windicator-357-magnum-compact-revolver-770130.html

https://www.rkguns.com/taurus-model-65-357-magnum-full-size-revolver-2-650041.html

If at some point you'd end up with both; wait till funds allow for, at least, a Ruger. I prefer S&W but the Ruger wheel guns are a tremendous value. A used GP 100 would serve you well. Plus, if you decide to sell it, a Ruger will have a much better resale market. If you insist on one of the above, the 4" would be my preference if I only had one. A 2" 357 magnum is a much less user friendly weapon than a 4" or 6" barrel revolver.

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    C-wolf, I own 3 S&W Mdl. 27s. 1 3.5 inch barrel, 1 5 inch barrel, and 1 8.375 inch barrel. The 5 inch barrel is my favorite. Balance is great, so is the accuracy. If you can find a Mdl. 28 they're cheaper, but, 4 to 6 inch barrels seem to work best for me. Good luck on your choice!:ingo:

Top Bottom