• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So I have lady friend that needs a 9mm. She wants a FS but her hands are not large enough to run a Double stack. Can't get the thumb to the mag release without totally letting go of the grip.

Have you run into this? How did you solve it? Normally, I'd say just get a Shield or a 43 or something in that class. But she is intent on getting a FS gun.

I was thinking maybe a 1911 but I thought maybe I'd ask INGO.

Thoughts?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have a 4" XDs. With the +1(8rd) or +2 (9rd) mags, I can get my whole hand on the grip. She would probably be just fine with the 8 round magazine. Recoil is soft. See if you can find one for her to shoot. With the interchangeable backstraps, she should be able to get a good fit.

DISCLAIMER. Both of my Springfields were purchased way before they betrayed the 2A.

Here is my review of it.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo-real-world-reviews/389445-review-xds-9mm-4-0-a.html

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am a full grown adult male and I can not get my thumb on a magazine release without altering my grip. I can think of at least two ways around this right off the top of my head. The bigger concern is how her hand/trigger finger index the trigger.

1911 is going to be about the slimmest grip in a full size gun. Thin grips, short trigger. Not sure what the budget is.

Another option would be gun with a paddle magazine release like a Walther P99 or PPQ M1

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A 9mm 1911 is all that's coming to mind right now. Add a set of thin VZ grips and it might work for her. The big issue is that the 1911 is really a platform that demands commitment. If she's willing to learn the platform and practice with it, then it might be the one to consider.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Try something that has adjustable grips. My other half didn't like how large the PPQ felt until the small back strap was swapped on, now she loves it. Another thought would be a VP9, it has the adjustable back strap and side pieces. May be worth a shot.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    9mm 1911, low end would be a Colt Competition Pistol is what I would reccomend as Springfield is now dead to me. My sister has the exact same problem she cannot shoot a PPQ to save her life but put a 1911 in her hand and her groups tighten up considerably because she can actually get a proper grip on the pistol.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    9mm 1911, low end would be a Colt Competition Pistol is what I would reccomend as Springfield is now dead to me. My sister has the exact same problem she cannot shoot a PPQ to save her life but put a 1911 in her hand and her groups tighten up considerably because she can actually get a proper grip on the pistol.
    Agreed with Dean on this, a 1911 in 9mm sure sounds like the ticket. However, I'm going to recommend the Ruger SR1911 lightweight commander in 9mm. I got one last Fall, and haven't had a single lick of trouble with it... it's reliable, depending on your budget appetite I think it's an affordable 1911 option, really easy to shoot and shoot well, mine is pretty darned accurate, and cheap to shoot in 9mm. If you're an online shopper, Grab-A-Gun regularly has these for under $700.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I don't know what an FS gun is? But hell I can't reach the mag release on any of my guns w.o shifting my grip. It's never held me back. :dunno:
    1911s are skinny, but have a longer reach to the mag release if that's the big concern...
    -rvb

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    At the risk of sounding too old school, you could pick up something like a 3rd Gen S&W. Buds still has the 3953TSW new in stock. Or look around for something used like a 3913 or similar like gun.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The Honor Guard is a bit larger than a Shield. Maybe she would like one of those. Full sized yet single stack really limits the choices.

A lot of people hear are recommending double stacks and one with a paddle might work for her too: VP9 or PPQ M1.

Top Bottom