• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    My son who is 22 is going to OH to visit some friends. I just got him a new hand gun and he wants to take it with him to do some target shooting in OH with his friend. He doses not have a carry permit here in Indiana.

Question.... can he take his hand gun with him as long as the ammo is separated from his hand gun? in IN, or OH?

Thanks
    Dave.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    well, it's a truck... I told him no mags loaded, gun in the glove box or locked in its case & ammo in the back seat not readily available.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I THINK the no-loaded mags issue was stricken/modified in the Ohio code not too long ago but I cannot remember for sure. So instead of passing along misinformation - I'll go with the old way to be sure: yes - mags unloaded. Here's a link with the relevant Ohio Code. I didn't read too much but perhaps the loaded mags being verboten w/o a license is still a thing. Lawriter - ORC - 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

I'm also quite certain that, at the same time, they struck the "mags of greater than 30 rds are machine guns" law. This link, while not the Ohio Code, states that the 30rd mag cap has been deleted. https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/how-gun-friendly-ohio

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Might think about that glove box thing given that may be where a registration and insurance card are kept as well. Not a legal concern, but rather just a practical consideration.

Here's a good potential resource, might want to confirm it is up to date http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

Also, probably worth reading if informing is required for non loaded, but I believe they (Ohio) are a must inform state for loaded handguns.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Just call the Ohio State Police and ask them. They should be able to tell you. Rule of thumb has always been separate spots. My guess is he could just leave the ammo at home and buy it at the local wally world and save the trouble

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    well, it's a truck... I told him no mags loaded, gun in the glove box or locked in its case & ammo in the back seat not readily available.

Regarding Indiana:
    If he doesn't have an Indiana Handgun Permit, the handgun must be (all three):
    1. unloaded,
    2. secured in a case, and
    3. inaccessible.
    Glovebox isn't considered inaccessible, even if it's a locked one. It's also where most folks store their vehicle registration. There's nothing for Indiana regarding ammunition although I would not store it in the case with the handgun, especially in a magazine. You need to find a location in the truck for the handgun in its case that's clearly inaccessible from the driver seat, and lock the case. Trucks are problematic compared to passenger cars with trunks that cannot be accessed by anyone inside the car unless they get out and open the trunk. If it's an SUV, behind the rear seat in the back would be the best you can do. In a traditional pickup truck with one seat, just about everywhere is considered accessible by the driver. Went down this path to understand how I could transport handguns to and from range facilities before getting the permit. It's a PITA, and I think it was intended to be a PITA without a permit.

This web page has a good summary . . . and links to the actual Indiana Code (laws) regarding vehicle carry without a handgun carry license.
    Guns in Vehicles in Indiana | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence
    Many other web pages regarding carry have this buried in a plethora of all the Indiana gun laws, permit application, etc.

You'll have to determine what Ohio requires regarding the gun and ammunition and do what is needed to comply with both states.

John

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Your registration and gun should not be stored in the same location. It's just a bad idea. I have my vehicle registration and insurance card stapled together and its clipped to my sunvisor. That way if I'm ever pulled over I'm not moving around in my car trying retrieve it and take a chance that my sidearm maybe exposed. Also I put my wallet up there too if I'm not wearing cargo pant/shorts.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    He also has to meet fed regs. In a truck needs behind the seat if extended cab I would place under rear seat. Case needs a lock. If the gun is out of sight and under things I would not say anything. Do not give the police the ok to search your trick if asked!

Top Bottom