• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hi! I'm a newbie (a week), albeit an old one.
    In the 80s I quit going to the range and gun shows and sold off most everything.
    Recently bought a 38 for the home at Mark's in Westfield and went to Tim's Shooting Gallery also in Westfield to try out a .357 and couple of ones I kept from the 80s.
    B/C of that I'm interested in getting a .22 for target practice, and I sold off the 1/2 dozen I used to have (back when $20-$50 would pick up a plinker.
    I don't know which direction to go:
    get just one really good one (found a S & W for $400)
    get a really used but functional one like I used to do: $100=$150ish
    Get a new Heritage (-$200)
    buy 2 or 3 for variety
    I usually like revolvers for practice.
    I did run across a Rossi Luger style for $200 and a Sig for $290
    I am a SS lover, or at least a nickel coated, but for the price I've had everything inexpensive in my younger days.
    I really don't plan to do much, so instead of buying a revolver and a "luger" style, perhaps just 1 of a better quality.
    I can't help myself, though, when I run across that ugly duckling that noone wants, but shoots well.
    Any input about what brands to stay away from that are inexpensive b/c resale will be terrible compared to more expensive one, like that S&W for $400?

Last edited:
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I have had a Ruger Mark II for a few years and the gun is enjoyable to shoot. Mags for it are readily available, I would consider the new Mark IV as it is much easier to disassemble than its predecessors. I would also look at the M&P 22, or Heritage Rough Rider if you are set on a revolver. Plenty of options out there

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have had a Ruger Mark II for a few years and the gun is enjoyable to shoot. Mags for it are readily available, I would consider the new Mark IV as it is much easier to disassemble than its predecessors. I would also look at the M&P 22, or Heritage Rough Rider if you are set on a revolver. Plenty of options out there

I do want a revolver. I had the Rough Rider in my hands tonight and it's too primitive.
    I want the cylinder to swing out and with 1 lever pop out all the spent shells.
    And, I want the SS.
    Ruger has a 10 shot that I was holding this pm which was perfect but was $630.
    I found a S&W online, but it sold ($400). It was only 4 inch.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    You would have to spend a bunch if a stainless revolver is what you want. Revolvers are antiques and hard to manufacture which makes for a big price tag.

You want quality gun that actually shoots made from stainless within 4 hundred in rimfire Ruger is the way.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you are okay with a breaktop revolver and can find a used H&R model 999, that might suit you well.
    999.jpg

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Stainless Revolver! My choice would be a Smith And Wesson model 617 ,10 shot ,
    Stainless Semi auto my choice would be the new Ruger MK IV for the ease of take down I love my MKIII
    but be prepared to spend some cash on those 2

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    S&W 22A find them used in the 250.00 area good plinker gun, sr22 and Walther p22 run ok,but not as accurate as others, personally S&W victory $350 new, run great,shoot standard velocity ammo,accurate.............do check out a smith and wesson 41......now that's a .22 to lust after

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Another vote for the S&W Victory. If you watch, it goes on sale from time to time. I picked mine up for $299, but a month later it was down to $269. Great price for an awesome gun and thanks to a single screw takedown, it's not that hard to clean either.

geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    When you look for SS in a .22, you are adding a lot more money and limiting yourself just for looks IMO.

A Smith 22A (I have one)is nice, a Ruger MarkII is nicer but hard to clean, A new Ruger Mark IV is great, a Smith model 41 is the best, however $$$$ !.

A Smith K22 revolver is also the best but again, $$$$ !.

The break open H&R is barely ok but hard to find. BTW, the days of cheap .22s are over. A used non SS Mark II Ruger would be my choice (I have one of those too and intend to keep it.)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You would have to spend a bunch if a stainless revolver is what you want. Revolvers are antiques and hard to manufacture which makes for a big price tag.

You want quality gun that actually shoots made from stainless within 4 hundred in rimfire Ruger is the way.

Yes, I was excited to have found that S&W SS 4 inch barrel for $400 but I was too late.
    I saw some other SS revolvers like the Taurus that were around $400 new, but I want a used one with marks and scruffs on it.
    I just don't need new; I won't be using it that much.
    I did love the feel of the Ruger SS in my hand yesterday though!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    When you look for SS in a .22, you are adding a lot more money and limiting yourself just for looks IMO.

A Smith 22A (I have one)is nice, a Ruger MarkII is nicer but hard to clean, A new Ruger Mark IV is great, a Smith model 41 is the best, however $$$$ !.

A Smith K22 revolver is also the best but again, $$$$ !.

The break open H&R is barely ok but hard to find. BTW, the days of cheap .22s are over. A used non SS Mark II Ruger would be my choice (I have one of those too and intend to keep it.)

No argument here!
    If I actually found a non-SS for a great price, I'd buy it.
    The gun sites are probably not a great place for good prices, rare to see something even a little but below "market."
    I was at a Beechgrove gun shop (near work) and they had a used Charter Arms snub nose .22 for $350????
    I told them that was outrageous and the guy was dreaming (customer selling through store) and that i'd bought at a gun store in Westfield, last week, a Charter Arms .38 SS 2 inch, looked perfect with the box for $250 ($267 w/tax). (supposed to be lady owned kept in her purse, story)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Another vote for the S&W Victory. If you watch, it goes on sale from time to time. I picked mine up for $299, but a month later it was down to $269. Great price for an awesome gun and thanks to a single screw takedown, it's not that hard to clean either.

I do have that on my list, in case I get a semi.
    If I saw one for $269, I'd grab it quickly, and probably for the $299.
    Saw them new for $377, and have run across a couple used ones on this site or another (4 different sites I look on).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    S&W 22A find them used in the 250.00 area good plinker gun, sr22 and Walther p22 run ok,but not as accurate as others, personally S&W victory $350 new, run great,shoot standard velocity ammo,accurate.............do check out a smith and wesson 41......now that's a .22 to lust after

I was reading about the S&W 22MP ????

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I do have that on my list, in case I get a semi.
    If I saw one for $269, I'd grab it quickly, and probably for the $299.
    Saw them new for $377, and have run across a couple used ones on this site or another (4 different sites I look on).

KYgunco and Grabagun were the two sites I'd seen them listed on sale. I bought mine from KYgunco for $299 and Grabagun had a similar price a week later. Not sure which had it for $269, but that was a heck of a deal. I've run tons of cheap .22 ammo through this gun and it's run everything except for Aguila really well. The Aguila ran OK, but I had a couple that failed to feed. No problem, I have 5k rounds of other stuff it liked better...lol!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    KYgunco and Grabagun were the two sites I'd seen them listed on sale. I bought mine from KYgunco for $299 and Grabagun had a similar price a week later. Not sure which had it for $269, but that was a heck of a deal. I've run tons of cheap .22 ammo through this gun and it's run everything except for Aguila really well. The Aguila ran OK, but I had a couple that failed to feed. No problem, I have 5k rounds of other stuff it liked better...lol!

Thanks for the heads-up!
    I'll check it out.
    My work cmp doesn't allow going to gun sites, so maybe this pm, ha!
    Sometimes I can trick the filters, though!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Neither site has them on sale currently. It's $325 with $7.99 shipping at Grabagun and $343.99 at KYgunco with free shipping. Checking Gunwatcher, I see that Grabagun price is the lowest (some other site shows lower, but when you go to the site it's actually higher). Maybe there will be sales over the Memorial Day weekend? :dunno:

Top Bottom