• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaJosh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    How many of you carry in the vehicle?

Do you take it in and out or do you have a dedicated car gun?

How do you mount it in the car?

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Sorry. This is what immediately came to my mind.
    In the vehicle I usually sit on my gun. Not under my bum, but under my leg. But no dedicated gun within immediate grasp other than CCW.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I carry in my vehicle the same as I carry everywhere else. Holstered, on my belt. I see no need to coonfinger my gun every time I get in and out of a car.

I WILL say, however, that your standard IWB holster will NOT retain your handgun in an accident. I rolled my Jeep last year pretty badly, and my XD was found 1/2 way down the hill. Along with my glasses, hat, and contents of my center console.

So, if you insist on mounting a holster in your car, mount it WELL and use a retention holster.

Blindside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    Columbus
    If I am getting in and out of the vehicle alot I use my regular IWB holster but if I am on a long drive or going someplace that I won't be able to take my gun in with me I use my Remora so that I can transition the gun as needed without unholstering it.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I carry in my vehicle the same as I carry everywhere else. Holstered, on my belt. I see no need to coonfinger my gun every time I get in and out of a car.

I WILL say, however, that your standard IWB holster will NOT retain your handgun in an accident. I rolled my Jeep last year pretty badly, and my XD was found 1/2 way down the hill. Along with my glasses, hat, and contents of my center console.

So, if you insist on mounting a holster in your car, mount it WELL and use a retention holster.
    ^^^^^^^^ T H I S ^^^^^^^^ Rep inbound.

Keep your gun on you where it belongs. If you feel you will have a problem getting to it then I would have a second gun in a retention holster permanently mounted to the car. I carry a G19 that stays on me. On longer trips I have a G17 in a Safariland ALS holster that has QLS plate mounted under the steering wheel.

Sorry I don't have pics of it but it looks something like my hotel setup. I'll try to get some car pics.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Carry in the vehicle same as when not in the vehicle, no matter the length of the trip, etc, it stays on my person.

dozer13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Sellersburg
    Carry in the car just about the same as out. I slide holster and all from the 4 O'clock to 2 O'clock position to stop seat belt from making it dig. I have my holster at a 15° cant which is perfect for me both standing and sitting( I sit at work a lot).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I typically just carry the same in the vehicle as I do out of the vehicle. But, if I'm going to spend a lot of time behind the wheel on a particular day, I'll go with a shoulder rig. It helps my back and it saves the seats in the vehicle too.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Some are adamant that car carry is identical as not. I'm curious then, is your line of work keeping you seated? Why shouldn't I change? Why shouldn't I adapt to a different environment? What are the pro vs con?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My own $0.02

I want to know where things are. In the heat of the moment, I don't want to think about it. Just act. Shouldn't matter if I'm in the car, at my desk, on the sofa, taking a walk, etc... Jut reducing the variables.

I've also found a carry solution that seems to work for me in the vast majority of cases.

I'm sure there is some sort of psycobabble that supports this. :-)

geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    I typically carry a Charter Arms Bulldog in a sling bag on the front seat. Since I'm a leftie, and carry a Kimber IWB, I would not be able to reach my Kimber unless I open the door. Not practical so...............the Charter Arms which i can reach easily.

My solution is not for every one.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I hadn't thought about "car carry" other than to and from a range. If I felt a need to carry in the vehicle for self protection, it would probably be on my person rather than in the vehicle. Where I live and travel on the highway, the probability of needing to defend myself with deadly force is infinitesimally small, unlike a few small areas of Indiana. I've yet to encounter anything in this state that rises to anywhere near what I did in Compton, CA during the 1990's, and East St. Louis, IL in the mid-1970's. Those are two locales I would not venture into any more without an easily accessible concealed handgun, legally carried or not.

If I stashed it there for the drive, it would probably be under the driver's seat, where I would not have to reach if stopped for a traffic infraction. IMHO, in the glovebox or the center console is dangerous. If it's spotted while accessing registration documents, it could result in panicked officer pumping you full of lead from a full 9mm or .40 caliber double stack magazine with the predictable "justifiable homicide" ruling after you're dead and cannot contest it. Wherever anyone else decides to stash a "car carry", think about how you would keep from panicking a high-strung LEO while producing your DL, registration and insurance docs. It's unnerving to encounter a twitchy LEO pumped up on a max adrenaline dump for reasons that remain inexplicable, which I have experienced on a couple of occasions.

John

Last edited:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    ^^^^^^^^ T H I S ^^^^^^^^ Rep inbound.

Keep your gun on you where it belongs. If you feel you will have a problem getting to it then I would have a second gun in a retention holster permanently mounted to the car. I carry a G19 that stays on me. On longer trips I have a G17 in a Safariland ALS holster that has QLS plate mounted under the steering wheel.

Sorry I don't have pics of it but it looks something like my hotel setup. I'll try to get some car pics.

Some vehicle pics. The steering wheel is all the way up for the pics. It's normal in the middle which still makes it accessible.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I had a stash gun tucked under the steering wheel like that. I worried about how easily it could be seen, even with the wheel down, so I scrapped that idea.

Nice placement, easy to get a hold of and semi-secure. Just worried that everyone coming up to my truck could see it while there.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I had a stash gun tucked under the steering wheel like that. I worried about how easily it could be seen, even with the wheel down, so I scrapped that idea.

Nice placement, easy to get a hold of and semi-secure. Just worried that everyone coming up to my truck could see it while there.
    I open carry so I don't worry to much about that but I could see how some people are concerned about it. Now if you were driving through Illinois or Ohio this would be a no go.

Pancake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Living in one of the largest metro cities in the state, I don't trust that if I leave my gun in my car, that it'll be there when I get back. I carry 100% of the time when I'm not at home. So I keep my gun, either a G22 in a OWB Bravo Concealment holster in the 3-4 oclock position, or a Smith M&P 9c in the same position. Outside of being left handed (I'm a righty so I don't know the struggle) I don't see any benefit to mounting a holster in my car or simply leaving unsecured in a console or under the seat. If you are an avid shooter and carry on a regular basis the high vast majority of your draws are going to be from the holster where you always carry. Why complicate things by moving your gun somewhere else. I understand that seatbelts, arm rests, etc may present clearance problems, but if you think that drawing from a seated position in a car to engage a threat is something you may need to do, I recommend keeping your gun where you are used to carrying it and just rep the presentation from that position in the car. Sit in the car and focus on your fundamentals of a simple gun presentation, but keep in mind your added obstructions. Just rep working through those problems so that when you need to get to that gun fast, its an action, not a thought. Its just like anything else rep it until you to it without thinking. And don't forget. The number 1 rule about gun fights in a car. GET OUT OF THE CAR!

Top Bottom