Experiences with Nikon Force XR EER Pistol Scope 2x20mm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Back history: Used to be a Leupold devotee; now a Vortex fan.

Buying a scope for a 44 mag revolver. Since Vortex doesn't make an EER scope I am looking at the Nikon 2x instead of paying the Leupold tax.

Anyone have experience with the Nikon scope? Its very affordable ($190) and the in-store comparison matched up well against the 2x Leupold. I will give the Leupold the nod in build appearance (meaning I don't know if it is actually better made but the Leupold does look of better construction).

bman940

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    N. Tx
    I have been using Nikon's 2X magnification pistol scopes for years, when Nikon came out with the FORCE XR 2.5-8x28 it was a welcome change. Having the extra magnification has made a difference for my older eyes and using Spot On to dial in Nikon's BDC circles has made longer shots easier. Four years ago I harvested a KS doe at 133 yards. 1 shot, 3 steps and it was done. In my mind defintely worth the extra $100 over the fixed 2X scope. I do freelance work for Nikon so I get to shoot all their optic's and don't worry about the 44 being to much, I have a scope on a T/C handcannon in .308,talk about a beast but it hits hard!

RugernForce.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have been using Nikon's 2X magnification pistol scopes for years, when Nikon came out with the FORCE XR 2.5-8x28 it was a welcome change. Having the extra magnification has made a difference for my older eyes and using Spot On to dial in Nikon's BDC circles has made longer shots easier. Four years ago I harvested a KS doe at 133 yards. 1 shot, 3 steps and it was done. In my mind defintely worth the extra $100 over the fixed 2X scope. I do freelance work for Nikon so I get to shoot all their optic's and don't worry about the 44 being to much, I have a scope on a T/C handcannon in .308,talk about a beast but it hits hard!

RugernForce.jpg

Is the eye relief consistent on that 2.5-8x28? Burris has put me off their variable pistol scopes 'cause it changes so much from low to high power. Sometimes that 8x is handy for squirrels but not if I have to hold it 10" closer to my face to see it.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The changing eye relief is a pain on the variables. The Burris I have goes up to 6 power and on a few guns I can get it placed just right. My browning silly wet has a very long rail it will most likely live on the pistol. That will not be the case with a 44'mag revolver. You are going to have maybe an inch of physical adjustment space. The sec sheet should give the eye relief hopefully a max and min at 2 -8 power. Not being an optical expert that eye relief change is a issue with EER scopes. It also effects the cheap scout scope I have that goes 2.5 to eight (looks less than 8 to me more like 6). Maybe it is just in the breed.

having contender barrels I have many pistol scopes. Some old a few new (quick release mounts work well for contender barrels.) never has a Nikon pistol scope sat on any of them. Just never purchased on or got one on the barrel. So sorry can give. It real info on the scope you are looking at. I can say that the swift premier series in 4 power seemed to be a good one in fixed power. The 2 power does not have the bell and does pick up more sun glare. The 4 powers have been on 35 rem and 7-30 waters barrels. Think one is on the 222 barrel as well all 14 inch barrels. The 2 powers one is on a 357 mag 10 inch and one on a 22 12 inch. All of them been on there for years. Hold up well and constant eye relief. Price to glass quality in seemed very high. Never had one fail on the heavy kickers. The Leopoldo's are mainly old M8's nice quality as expected. Glass is better but they are 2's. The Burris have 2 with the floating eye relief. I think the swifts now run in the 159 range and swfa is often backorxered on them.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    Yes, EER is usually a problem on pistol scopes. I shoot silly wet with extended arms off a rest. I searched for several months and finally decided on the Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6 magnification. I can get over 20" of eye relief on magnification 5 and then the halo effect starts closing in.

I'm very happy with it.

Prescut

Top Bottom