Lube for a rarely fired/maintained 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    We keep a stainless Springfield Loaded 1911 backup gun in my wife's "Get Home Bag" which is kept in the trunk of her car. I went through it today to rotate clothing, refresh the water and generally check things out. Whatever I had lubed the 1911 with (last fall, or maybe a year ago?) had turned into a viscous goo... Not cool. She EDC's a Kimber Solo, so if the 1911 is needed it's already a bad day. I go through the bag in spring and fall, so I'm not opposed to using two different lubes, but one would be preferred. What are INGO's suggestions for lubrication in this type of application?

I currently use (and am very happy with) Slip 2000 EWL on my AR's and EDC pistols, but they all get maintained on a much more frequent basis. I would not be opposed to having a different gun in her bag, a G19/M&P/Wunder 9 or something that is more tolerant to abuse... maybe an AK? :rolleyes: Obviously, the best answer is to maintain whatever is in her bag... [sigh] another task...

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I like CLP to wipe my guns down with and in humid weather.
    As far as the actual lube goes for the slide I'd ask ChurchMouse for the exact lube recommendation. He uses some red break in lube that is slick as black ice.
    I'm not a stainless fan but the CLP works great to keep any oxidation down.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I would check regularly and inspect. I use Mil-Comm products. TW-25B, MC-3000, and MC-3500. TW-25B is more like a grease, it stays where put. MC-3000 is advertised as "semi-liquid", and MC-3500 is akin to gun oil. I have used all with success, however, for slides, I use TW-25B.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I love the Wilson Combat lubes, I use the "Oil" but there are several different lubes with different viscosity's. I used this on my Dan Wesson ECO and did not shoot it for about 4 months during the winter because I was carrying my larger VBOB. Once I finally took it back to the range for a pre-carry check and cleaning it was still very much lubed quite well. The 4oz bottles last quite some time too.

Ultima-Lube II | Oil | 4 oz. Bottle-http://shopwilsoncombat.com/

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you are indeed leaving this in the trunk it is exposed to some serious temp swings and weather conditions.
    This is a lot different than parking a gun in the controlled environment of the safe.
    Under these conditions I would suggest you try a product that is made to live in the trunk. Then check the gun more often. I am not sure exactly what that would be.
    I tend to use a heavier lube on the slide to frame in my stainless 1911's out of habit. Regular (good old reliable) Hoppes on the actions. I have tried about everything and I always go back to good old reliable.
    If you do go with a heavier slide to frame lube remember it could get to heavy in severe (winter) weather.

If you Google this issue this one comes up. Is it the answer here.....:dunno:

https://youtu.be/Scd7LzSu4QI

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If it's going to start clean and sit unattended for a long time, I'd use a light application of grease like TW25B. Over time, the worst that will happen to it is that it will eventually assume a wax-like consistency, but it will still be adequately lubricative for the gun to function. A liquid lube is going to evaporate and most dry lubes aren't adequate for this application.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I had a Colt Officers model in my safe form years and took it home to the Detroit Metro area for my father to shoot.
    We got to the range loaded it up and the stainless Colt went jam city, I lubed it after the second mag and there were no further issues.
    Lesson learned that even though I check and lube my safe kings every six months, a lube before a range shoot for stored guns is required, my EDC and Trunk Gun get plenty of range time and cleaning before put back into service so they stay lightly lubed.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would note that Les Baers come in a bag that has lots of excess CLP on the pistol. You wouldn't want to have any ammo in it obviously.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield

Isn't Weapon Shield the "new" FP-10? Developed by the same guy that developed FP-10? Either he got bought out, or left, or forced out or something, and started a new company to develop Weapon Shield. I am pretty sure he claims that the FP-10 of today is different than what was originally developed back in the day and that Weapon Shield is superior. I am not sure if he claims that publicly due to NDA issues, but when asked the question directly, he hems and haws in a way that is obvious that FP-10 has changed and (in his mind) not as good. Now he may be trying to sell his new product...

BTW: I love Weapon Shield and use it on all my guns now. Not sure how it would hold up over time and elements however.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd be inclined to store it in a good quality freezer zip bag AFTER it's been well cleaned and well lubed & protected.

CLP products are jacks of all trades - keep that in mind. 1 product with 3 jobs - none of them are "the best" tool for each individual job, but does each of the 3 jobs "good enough".

"Good enough" may, in fact, NOT be good enough for what's being asked of it in THIS application.

There are dozens upon dozens of products that CAN be used. But, like Rhino mentions, I'd be inclined to try a light grease of some kind on the slide/frame rails. Nothing too thick that'll hinder movement. It'll have to work in a WIDE range of temperatures. Something like a permatex brake caliper grease or a similar product as long as it's safe for stainless steel.

For the parts in the innards I'd go with something that can also withstand the temperature swings and will also protect things while in there. Perhaps a nice 0W or 5W motor oil. Apply it with a lint-free Qtip or something similar. $8 for a quart and it'll last eons.

And for the record - I'm not much on advocating using "other stuff" for firearms purposes... But lately I say that I'm softening on that stance.

For guns that see regular use and cleaning/maintenance - I'd stick with a CLP for cleaning and something like Slip2000 for lube (Because that's what I do and I need validation in my life)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good points! One of the reasons I recommend TW25B grease is that I know from experience that it's unaffected by temperatures that people can tolerate. The zip top bag idea is excellent!

After a synthetic grease, I'd go with Kellube, which is what I normally use on all of my pistolas. It's thicker than other liquid lubes and evaporates more slowly.

I'd be inclined to store it in a good quality freezer zip bag AFTER it's been well cleaned and well lubed & protected.

CLP products are jacks of all trades - keep that in mind. 1 product with 3 jobs - none of them are "the best" tool for each individual job, but does each of the 3 jobs "good enough".

"Good enough" may, in fact, NOT be good enough for what's being asked of it in THIS application.

There are dozens upon dozens of products that CAN be used. But, like Rhino mentions, I'd be inclined to try a light grease of some kind on the slide/frame rails. Nothing too thick that'll hinder movement. It'll have to work in a WIDE range of temperatures. Something like a permatex brake caliper grease or a similar product as long as it's safe for stainless steel.

For the parts in the innards I'd go with something that can also withstand the temperature swings and will also protect things while in there. Perhaps a nice 0W or 5W motor oil. Apply it with a lint-free Qtip or something similar. $8 for a quart and it'll last eons.

And for the record - I'm not much on advocating using "other stuff" for firearms purposes... But lately I say that I'm softening on that stance.

For guns that see regular use and cleaning/maintenance - I'd stick with a CLP for cleaning and something like Slip2000 for lube (Because that's what I do and I need validation in my life)

Top Bottom