• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    This isn't a thread to see who is still shooting 40 more a thread to see why so many people avoid them?

I was one of these 40 cal haters in my past but the prices on high quality pistols sometimes hundreds under their 9mm brothers made me reconsider and buy one. I love it. I've even had it's brother and I like the 40 more (im talking CZ P07). I'm a fan of the P07's anyway but the 40 is just such a little creampuff to shoot and will poke the same holes every time. I guess I could understand not wanting 40 in anything more compact as some 9mm sub compacts can be unewieldy and the extra umph of 40 would make that even more prevalent.

Used prices are much lower in the 40 market and if other shooters out there are like I was it was almost purely because of the hate speech on the caliber. Ammo cost difference is negligible right now, capacity is only a round or two (I get it for competition pistols) less, and felt recoil between the two P07's was definitely not enough to impact accuracy.

I can also respect that some 40 cal models are slightly larger. I love my cz75 because of its ergonomics and if they change anything in the 40 version it may ruin it (I don't know I've not held a cz75 40 cal).

I guess i'll be the odd man out grabbing up these budget 40 caliber pistols everyone is trying to distance themselves from. I really don't understand the hate.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Worthless .40 Short and Weak! Can't understand why any one would want an underpowered 10mm. Why would you want to waste the money on a caliber that is going obsolete? Oh, by the way just bought me a FNS 40 with Night sights tonight. I am excited to get it out and poke some holes in paper!!!!

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree. I've noticed it too.

For me, my first handgun was a .40 cal Glock 27 (back when I thought I'd only need one) and after a lot of research and planning I settled on the .40 cal. Since I've moved to 9mm and 45, but will never sell my first Glock. I've started picking up some of these good deals you've mentioned and love them too as you described.

I think its it's a great time to take advantage of the turn in popularity and get some great deals. :twocents:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My first .40 was a Glock 23.
    I don't think the 23 and .40 are a good combo especially for me. I gave it to my ex in the divorce. She's good with the gun but slow. It's snappy even with 135gr in it.
    I based my opinions on .40 due to the G23.
    A year or so ago I picked up a CZ/Colt in .40 and loved the combo.
    It's always a good idea to be open minded.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I got out of 40 because I wanted to down size the amount of cailbers I reloaded for. Also an FNX 45 T holds 15+1 so the capacity argument is irrelevant.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    38-40, people have been shooting it since the 1870s. Can't speak for the modern 40.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I guess i'll be the odd man out grabbing up these budget 40 caliber pistols everyone is trying to distance themselves from. I really don't understand the hate.

It's just the swing of the gun culture. Shotguns are out, everyone get carbines. Holding your rifle with the stupid chicken wing up front is cool, now it is not, now it is cool again.

It is merely fashion, no big deal. Get used to it if you will be in the gun culture for any amount of time.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA27aQZCQMk[/video]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My first .40 was a Glock 23.
    I don't think the 23 and .40 are a good combo especially for me. I gave it to my ex in the divorce. She's good with the gun but slow. It's snappy even with 135gr in it.
    I based my opinions on .40 due to the G23.
    A year or so ago I picked up a CZ/Colt in .40 and loved the combo.
    It's always a good idea to be open minded.

This. But the G23 was my second. I bought a P91DC as a duty gun in the 90s when 40 was the hot thing, and could drive tacks with it. But when I downsized to a G23 for concealed carry, I was a hot mess. When I ran a lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel in it, I shot it well. I traded with an INGOer for a 19 and love it. (9mm) And the last 20 years technology has closed the performance gap on defensive ammo, so you dont need to rely on larger bores as much as you used to.

40 is nice, but I'm over it. If I want more power I'll go 45ACP as it has a more pleasant and smooth recoil profile. (not snappy as many will attest to)

I now shoot nothing but 9mm. (or 380 when I need something more discrete)

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    This. But the G23 was my second. I bought a P91DC as a duty gun in the 90s when 40 was the hot thing, and could drive tacks with it. But when I downsized to a G23 for carry, I was a hot mess. When I ran a lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel in it, I shot it well. I traded with an INGOer for a 19 and love it. (9mm) And the last 20 years technology has closed the performance gap on defensive ammo, so you dont need to rely on larger bores as much as you used to.

40 is nice, but I'm over it. If I want more power I'll go 45ACP as it has a more pleasant and smooth recoil profile. (not snappy as many will attest to)

I now shoot nothing but 9mm. (or 380 when I need something more discrete)

Seems like similar thinking here.

There's definite performance gains in ammo recently. Still, it all comes down to making sure you hit what you aim at.
    IF your weapon isn't comfortable to shoot then you won't practice as much as you should.
    I carry a G19-4 and it works for me.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "Snappy" reputation, largely due to 9mm guns "converted" to .40 guns. Guns designed as .40 seem to be significantly less "snappy".

It's not in style right now.

The perception, which I believe to be correct, that the .40 doesn't offer much in terminal ballistics that the heavier 9mm loads don't, and that the extra cost and recoil isn't worth it. If you shoot a lot, guns are cheap but ammo is expensive.

I honestly don't care which of the common duty calibers I carry any longer.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    "Snappy" reputation, largely due to 9mm guns "converted" to .40 guns. Guns designed as .40 seem to be significantly less "snappy".

It's not in style right now.

The perception, which I believe to be correct, that the .40 doesn't offer much in terminal ballistics that the heavier 9mm loads don't, and that the extra cost and recoil isn't worth it. If you shoot a lot, guns are cheap but ammo is expensive.

I honestly don't care which of the common duty calibers I carry any longer.

Its all about weight and the ballistics of driving that heavy-ish bullet really fast to get the same energy as a heavier 45. Fat and slow 45s are more enjoyable to shoot in the same size gun. I'm sure if we tried to send that 200+ gr 45 projectile downrange as fast as the 40, it would seem snappy and unpleasant too.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Its all about weight and the ballistics of driving that heavy-ish bullet really fast to get the same energy as a heavier 45. Fat and slow 45s are more enjoyable to shoot in the same size gun. I'm sure if we tried to send that 200+ gr 45 projectile downrange as fast as the 40, it would seem snappy and unpleasant too.

A 180 grain .40 does not have to be driven overly fast to match .45 ACP energy. In fact, a 180 grain at about 950 fps is very soft shooting, and matches the energy of the typical standard .45 load of 230 grains at about 830 fps. Most .40 defensive ammo is hotter, though, with a 180 grain typical being driven in excess of 1000 fps. It can be a little snappy, but then again, so can a .45 +P, depending on your launching platform.

I don't care for smallish .40 pistols, especially polymer framed. But the .40 in a metal frame gun is a lot of fun to shoot.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been riding the .40 hate wave for a year and have added 4 of them to the family in the last year. As soon as CZ releases the P10C in .40, I'll add the fifth one. .40 is a great caliber.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I dont think hate is the right word, efficiency is probably a better way to look at it. I think folks are looking at data and deciding that for self-defense, 9mm is as effective as other calibers from a ballistic standpoint, while being less expensive and more capacity. This leads to it being an overall more efficent caliber.

The guns you buy for range toys or other reasons need less consideration

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont think hate is the right word, efficiency is probably a better way to look at it. I think folks are looking at data and deciding that for self-defense, 9mm is as effective as other calibers from a ballistic standpoint, while being less expensive and more capacity. This leads to it being an overall more efficent caliber.

The guns you buy for range toys or other reasons need less consideration

THIS.

I dont HATE 40. If I had extra cash I might buy another P91 for nostalgia. I just dont see any benefit over other calibers based on the negatives of the caliber. YMMV.

Top Bottom