• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RiNo6589

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2017
    Northeast indiana
    I'm going to buy a new handgun soon, and am torn between a Sig P226, and a Beretta M9A3. I really enjoyed shooting both of these guns. I've grown up with Sig handguns (although never personally owned one), I am very familiar with them, and know how reliable they are, but I love the look and feel of the M9 as well. Opinions? Comments?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    both are good choices. My criteria when choosing between two

Purpose - Range, carry, vanity

Accessories - are they compatible with anything I have in the accessory stash, cost of mags, holster, etc

Which one is harder to get ahold of currently. (if I plan on getting both eventually i'll go for the harder to find first)

If you are thinking carry weight and frame material heavily weigh your choice. Polymer is almost always more comfortable to carry.

Last and generally the most used... "Oh there is that one I want!" buy it even tho it wasn't one of them on my list.... I have a problem tho..

RiNo6589

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2017
    Northeast indiana
    TBH that is how I've purchased all of my firearms so far haha. This is the first time I've actually planned the purchase of one. I carry a S&W 659 with no qualms, and it's a pretty heavy gun, so weight (within reason) is not an issue for me. Seems to me that they are both a dime a dozen, so acquisition is also not an issue. I'm still kind of nervous about making the jump to polymer frame. I'm a relatively young guy, but I've just always shot, and owned full size metal framed guns.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    In a recent past I was looking for a full size all metal handgun in 9mm, my two options were the Beretta 92 A3 and Sig 226 Legion sao. Both excellent platforms but in my case the 226 Legion SAO won due to the superb trigger out of the box but also has other features from factory that makes it a great package out of the box.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Both

Beretta%2092FS%20and%2092FS%20Compact%20NonRail%20A%20Sig%20P226%20Tac%20Ops%20A.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    TBH that is how I've purchased all of my firearms so far haha. This is the first time I've actually planned the purchase of one. I carry a S&W 659 with no qualms, and it's a pretty heavy gun, so weight (within reason) is not an issue for me. Seems to me that they are both a dime a dozen, so acquisition is also not an issue. I'm still kind of nervous about making the jump to polymer frame. I'm a relatively young guy, but I've just always shot, and owned full size metal framed guns.

Making the jump to polymer can be expensive if you don't have a range that lets you rent a variety of pistols. I generally get my money back if I don't buy new tho so I test the waters with used. My current favorite polymer is a cz p07, everything feels right. I picked up an fn 509 today using the "Oh there is that one I want!" buy it even tho it wasn't one of them on my list.... Method. We'll see what I think.

In general tho I really like most polymer framed pistols I have found more to like in them than in metal framed. That said my cz75 is my hands down favorite pistol and regularly the favorite of anyone I take shooting. I like my sig 1911 enough to keep it, and I really thought I would love a 226/229 but after owning a 229 I just don't see the cost adding up. I will gladly spend 1k on a super cz but I don't think after shooting a legion that I really would want to drop the cash on one. They are superb pistols but give me a tac sport cz anyday.

I'm off topic but that is part of my problem and leads to a lot of "Oh there is that one I want!" buy it even tho it wasn't one of them on my list.... purchases.

You cant go wrong with either pistol on your list. The only beretta m9's ive shot were in the military and I didn't get enough personal time with it to really understand or enjoy it. The 320's are a blast and oh so comfortable. I'd get a 320 and wait for a nice used m9 but that is only my opinion.

Now in my mind...
    ... My lgs does have 2 used 320's... and I should have one to compare to this new 509... I should not be on these forums.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Had a P226 and never shot it so I sold it after a year. I just didn't want to train to get used to the trigger. I bought a CZC 75B Shadow Target because it's all the rage and haven't warmed up to it yet. It may have a decent trigger, but it still doesn't match stride with my 1911.

I think reading what we have to say is okay, but I think you really need to think deeply about what YOU want and spend your money there.

I have gone through too many pistols in the last three years. I am now done. I will shoot my 1911 until it's worn out and sprinkle in some range time with the CZ to see if I start to like it better.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Can't comment directly on the Beretta, but I do have a P226, and it is really an amazing gun in every way.

I prefer the metal-framed guns (and hammers) over the polymer frames and anything striker-fired, although I do have an HK VP9 that I do love.

I don't think you can wrong either way, so as others have mentioned, you just need to decide which one fits you best.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    buy em both Beretta M9A1 and the Sig M11A1. flip a coin to buy the first one heads/ Beretta tails/ Sig. then save for the second one. then save again for a G19. win, win, win. :D

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I've had no experience with Beretta, but soon will. My 92G Wilson Combat Beretta should show up any time after my 6 month wait. That being said I've owed one sig and my wife had a 938. We both preferred other firearms so they have both been let go. I just can't shake my G19's and G17's as I own a half dozen of them. GET BOTH!!

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I own a Beretta 92FS, Beretta 92G, and a West German P226. They are all nice handguns. You will not go wrong with either of them. I like the recoil impulse on the Beretta a little bit more. If I was going to buy a Sig I would look at one of the older West German ones. I have shot the M9A3 as well. The grip is too small for my hands.

Top Bottom