• ...and so much more!
  • Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    "Ruger recently discovered that all Mark IV™ pistols (including 22/45™ models) manufactured prior to June 1, 2017 have the potential to discharge unintentionally if the safety is not utilized correctly."

My 22/45 is on the recall list (but doesn't seem to have this issue), and you can enter your serial # in the following link to see if yours is too. They are sending the instructions, shipping label, etc., for the frame. For your trouble, Ruger will send you a free magazine (which is about a $30 value).

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/markIVRecall/index.php?r=y

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    A new ruger product. A new recall. They do seem to catch and recall them quickly. Just wondering why they don't catch more before they are released into the wild. Seems with ruger to be a very common occurrence.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Thanks for the link and info. Screw the "nellies" and their negative posts and attitude.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Mark I's, II's, and III's are NOT that hard to disassemble/reassemble.
    That's what happens to Ruger for messing with a design that is already accurate, dependable, dare I say, loved by millions.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Sold my Mk III and got a Mark IV. Never look back on that. Minor inconvenience in my book. Better than all the recalls on vehicles I've owned in my lifetime.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Sold my Mk III and got a Mark IV. Never look back on that. Minor inconvenience in my book. Better than all the recalls on vehicles I've owned in my lifetime.

Well said, even though I never owned a previous version of the Mark series and my Mark IV was just put on Layway Monday. Heck I just may have to pick it up and send it directly to Ruger. Man that sucks. Anyway based on what I heard about the previous version this version was absolutely a joy to take apart and put together. Before putting it on Layaway I checked that out.

Anyway I think I'll contact my LGS and see what can be done and if possible maybe they can verify if the fox was applied and if not arrange to send it back to Ruger while on Layaway. Doubtful but it can't hurt to ask.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I won't be sending mine in. I've made some modifications to the frame and no longer have the original parts to install. I have no doubt they'd be happy to keep my upgrades and send it back in original condition, no thanks.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Life continues...

I "recall" an issue with the Mk III - the LCI was one piece metal and rested on the cartridge rim (where all the primer is) and had an arm that protruded...

The fix was to replace it with a weaker plastic arm that would break instead of create and AD.

Of course, the real fix is to replace it with an inert filler.

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    Glad I saw this. I was very excited to purchase my MK IV 22/45 lite, but I was more excited to see that they are giving free MKIV mags to the people who were affected. Now, I can also get free shipping to send it back and see if they can adjust the slide release. Unless you're the Incredible Hulk, you're forced to slingshot. Win-win in my book.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    There's a reason I don't typically buy new model firearms during the first year of production.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Glad I saw this. I was very excited to purchase my MK IV 22/45 lite, but I was more excited to see that they are giving free MKIV mags to the people who were affected. Now, I can also get free shipping to send it back and see if they can adjust the slide release. Unless you're the Incredible Hulk, you're forced to slingshot. Win-win in my book.

I don't know if things have changed, but the slide catch on the Ruger Mk's were easily worn out by using it as a slide release instead of pulling back on the bolt.

In other words, ALWAYS SLINGSHOT A RUGER MARK I/II/III/IV.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I don't know if things have changed, but the slide catch on the Ruger Mk's were easily worn out by using it as a slide release instead of pulling back on the bolt.

In other words, ALWAYS SLINGSHOT A RUGER MARK I/II/III/IV.

i always slingshot. If I use the slide release first shot lands out of the group. If slightshot all ten in the group.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    UPDATE: Well, I got the confirmation email:

Submission Summary

Thank you for signing your pistol up for the Mark IV™ recall. We have received your submission and you have been added to the list to have your grip frame assembly retrofitted. The information you provided us is:
    Namexxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    AddressXxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Emailxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    PhoneXxxxxxxxxx
    Serial NumberWBRxxxxxxxxxxx
    If any of this information is incorrect, please contact our Mark IV™ Recall hotline at 1-800-784-3701 or email our Customer Service department through the "Contact" button at the bottom of the screen at Ruger.com/MarkIVRecall. Please be sure to provide your serial number and state that you have already signed your pistol up for the recall, but need to correct your contact information.
    If your information is correct, there is nothing more you need to do. We will be retrofitting grip frame assemblies on a first-come, first-served basis.
    Here is what you can expect:

• When we are ready to retrofit your grip frame assembly, we will send you a box and prepaid shipping label. The package you receive will include detailed packaging and shipping instructions.
    • When you receive your package, please only ship us the grip frame assembly. Be sure to remove any aftermarket accessories from your grip frame assembly. You may leave aftermarket grip panels on your grip frame assembly, as these are not affected by the recall. While we will attempt to return other accessories to you, we cannot guarantee that is the case. Any parts affected by the recall (sear and safety) will not be returned.
    • We will make every effort to return your grip frame assembly to you within one week of receiving it. When we return your grip frame assembly, we will include a free magazine ($29.95 value) as a thank-you for your cooperation. (Note that customers in states with magazine shipping restrictions will receive a ShopRuger gift certificate in lieu of a magazine).
    • In the meantime, we strongly recommend that you do not use your Mark IV™ pistol until it has been retrofitted.
    While we sincerely regret the need to issue this recall, our motto is, and has been for many years, "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens®." We are firmly committed to safety and appreciate your patience and cooperation.
    Thank you,
    Ruger Customer Service

The worst part of all this is I don't even use the safety. But, I do have a son that is just over 1 year old and will be at the range with me starting one day. So this is not all bad for the future.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Ruger used to advise against using the slide lock as a release. Slingshot is the proper release method to avoid wearing out the slide lock.

Top Bottom